Where to start with Robin Trower?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DEG, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. They are very good.

2. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

I picked up originals of Bridge of Sighs and Twice Removed for like $3 each in pretty much perfect condition. Bridge of Sighs is where I would start.

3. T-Bird

T-Bird Forum Resident

These are the original lineup titles with James Dewar. Go there!!
    Trower's original vocalist and bass player.
    The live album is a killer!!

Bridge of Sighs
    Robin Trower Live!
    Long Misty Days
    For Earth Below
    Twice Removed From Yesterday
    Victims Of the Furies (a little later, back to the older sound)
    In City Dreams (Rustee Allen hired on bass. Dewar as frontman. Not a popular record.)
    Caravan to Midnight (different direction)

There is a later era, with Davey Pattison.
    Some good songs. Less consistent.

Other one offs. More recent Trower on vocals.

Forget the Procol work. You don't hear him. The point of Trower is to hear him.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  4. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

IMO stay away from greatest hits because the albums have very few weak tracks if any, you'll be missing too much going for just the "hits". A fool proof way to go with Trower is start with Bridge Of Sighs then go to the beginning with Twice Removed From Yesterday and go in order from there. I did it that way, and ended up collecting all of the albums. Trower can get in your blood.

5. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Those EMI boxsets are the way to go although they may be OOP & pricey by now.
    I scored them when they came out for like $20 each.

6. Robin with Procol Harum: A Salty Dog and Home showcase his work well.

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I started with Bridge of Sighs.

8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

What about the Procal Harum tune "Whiskey Train"? Wall to wall guitar on that one (along with cowbell out the yin yang)!

I'd also like to give a shout out to "In City Dreams" and "Passion". Both very good if underrated albums.

CoachD and Lurgan Lad like this.
  9. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Daydream is possibly my favorite Trower song, proving he is truly a master of the instrument.

I say the OP should look for the BGO CD pressing which contains "Twice Removed" and "Bridge of Sighs" on one disc; no reason to be forced to choose between two great albums when you can have both (and the mastering is decent enough, if not the best available).

I'll also put in a plug for the Jack Bruce collaborations, with "BLT" being my favorite. Marshall tone to die for, perfect use of Cry Baby, and fantastic songwriting - do play it loud:

"That's alright, I'm cool now." - Hell yes you are!

10. I'd start with the live album. Despite the front cover being photographed at a "Day On the Green" concert at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, CA on August 3, 1975, the LP was actually recorded at the Stockholm Concert Hall for the Swedish Broadcasting Corp., February 3, 1975. I often find that if I can get into a band based on their live performances, then I'll probably enjoy their studio albums. But... that's just me. Per Wikipedia, "In an interview with Guitar Player in May 2006, Trower explained that the band was not aware the show was being taped, thinking they were playing for a radio broadcast only. Hence, he says, "We were loose and uninhibited, and we played one of our best shows."
    If you haven't seen this yet, it might be worth a gander. Winterland, San Francisco, March 15, 1975 I'm generally not one to bandy about terms like "underrated" but in this case it's the truth. James Dewar was a great vocalist and probably one of the most underrated of that era.

11. Re-invigorated by punk and NWOBHM:

Robin Trower Victims of the Fury 1980

Jonny W, Lurgan Lad and MYQ1 like this.
  12. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

As nearly everyone else has said, it always starts with Bridge of Sighs. This song is also one of my favorites.

Jonny W and zphage like this.
  13. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Agree with most everyone that Bridge of Sighs is the place to start. Actually, the first four albums starting with Twice Removed From Yesterday are all excellent. Trower never really stopped recording, but he has enjoyed a bit of a comeback playing and also singing his own vocals over the past decade. Start with What Lies Beneath from 2009. That and anything since is pretty consistently strong. He has a new one coming out in the next month or so and having heard a couple of cuts, he hasn't lost his chops at 70.

14. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Worth repeating.

I presume that the onset of the punk/disco era made it difficult for him to move on from the Robin Trower Band along with the fact that his only solo album wasn't released until 20 years after it was recorded.

..Stumbledown Romancer

I never made the grade

Never on the dance-floor when the music played

Always moving on when I should have stayed...

15. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

"Bridge of Sighs," of course. I played it a while back and was amazed at how perfect it remains. Every freakin' note.

A great teaser would be "Broken Barricades," especially the hugely psychedelic "Song for a Dreamer."

BGLeduc likes this.
  16. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Bridge of Sighs was exactly the answer I got to the same question today.

So I hit a nice record warehouse place today with a buddy, open to public once a month I grabbed a Buggles album which hit no chords with my friend. Adventures in modern music or something, I am not home and am undoubtedly murdering the title. I got it because it had I Am A Camera which I think is another version of Into the Lens from Drama.

He didn't know Trower was in the Buggles (nor in Procul when I played Salty Dog later
    But I posed the question about the best Trower album to get and he said Bridge of Sighs

PS I am never going to do this much formatting on a phone post again CRAP!

17. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Chrysalis just released a box containing his first 10 albums, including the BLT and Truce albums he did with Jack Bruce, and it's only about $30.
    What?!

milankey likes this.
  18. TedMosby06

TedMosby06 Active Member

Bridge of Sighs is a great album, and one I never tire of. Twice Removed from Yesterday is also very good. There's something about "I Can't Wait Much Longer" that really moves me!

Jonny W and Kingsley Fats like this.
  19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It's that shift in tempo at the 2:50 mark that takes it to another level.

20. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

21. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Maybe on back order as I got mine a few weeks ago but I did preorder it. It was also $29.79 on preorder so has gone up a little.

22. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Bridge of Sighs. End there as well.

23. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

You should probably specify which format you favor.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG][​IMG]
    These are both good overviews and he is also good live.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Hep Alien and fairies like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.