Where true Audiophile Speakers starts $ wise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

I read a lot about speakers here at Hoffman Music Forum. I am not sure where high quality speakers start price wise. I am not taking Wharfedale Dentons. I understand these speakers sound nice, but are 'colored'. I am curious about speakers that accurately reproduce audio. What do these speakers cost?

BTW- I own Revel Performa M22. Am I in the entry door with true audiophile quality speakers? Or, are these still mid-Hi Fi.

displayname likes this.
  2. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

audiophile
    noun

au·dio·phile | \ˈȯ-dē-ō-ˌfī(-ə)l \
    Definition of audiophile

: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Impossible question to answer.

chili555, vinnn, The FRiNgE and 6 others like this.
  4. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Some high priced speakers are just like certain women....
    They're constructed well, nice shape and a beautiful finish... but they just don't perform!

Jacob29, Benzion, vinnn and 15 others like this.
  5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Brilliant thread.

Shawn and TheVU like this.
  6. Yep, and the OP had already started the same topic in one last week that was closed down:

Cost of Audiophile Speakers

7. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

How many $ you got...?

8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

It start with $$$ you spend to build a great room. Plus the ability to go down to 20 Hz.

mdm08033 and jupiterboy like this.
  9. allied333

I could spend $4K. But, is it better than my present speakers or a side ways step?

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Audiophile just means a lover of good sound. In that case, an audiophile speaker could be some $300 Pioneers designed by Andrew Jones.

Very high quality sound starts getting interesting at $2K Magnepan 1.7is or $2.5K ELAC Adante monitors.

But it's very hard to set a specific dollar number as it depends on so many variables.

vinnn, rodentdog, Dan Steele and 2 others like this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

I think that depends on what you're seeking. If you want the transparency of those Revels, but greater bass output, I have no doubt that $4K can do it, but it might take some careful research and auditions. Of course it will also depend on whether the partnering gear is a bottleneck. A pair of used Stirling Broadcast LS3/6s would definitely get you there IMO.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

To more directly answer the question, I think M22s are very good and certainly at least a good entry product.

rodentdog likes this.
  13. allied333

The Revel put out so much bass that I do not need a subwoofer. I do not turn up the amp bass pot ever to full on

14. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Explain room layout and sound source then we can talk about speaker prices and speaker designs. John...

15. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Well, if you think 46 Hz is low enough for you, then your speakers are good enough. You don't know what you miss in the 30 Hz and below range until you "experience" it properly...

Benzion likes this.
  16. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

17. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Vandersteen Model 2CE Signature 2’s - around $2,200 a pair I think these days. They give an amazing view into the studio, depth, soundstage, clarity, nuance- plus they are exceptionally musical. I don’t think there is any “audiophile “ speaker (new) that touches the 2 at this price point. Imagine being able to but a “forever” speaker that is around $2k? That’s the Vandersteen 2.

18. allied333

They are playing bass to about 32Hz. Bass is very clean & fast. It is enough.

19. If accuracy is the goal and have a budget of $4K, then look at studio monitors like the Focal twin6.

20. allied333

Thanks. I will seriously consider these.

jupiterboy likes this.
  21. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

So they start rolling off around 50 Hz. Now your room may provide some reinforcement, but that extra bass may also be somewhat ill defined. A speaker that could go to 35 Hz might give you a richer more informational bass sound but also might pressurize you room in a way that caused trouble that you don't have now.

Maybe the thing to do is take some measurements of the in-room response and then think about the music you listen to. What you have now may cover the music you enjoy and be wonderful. Two-way speakers have some real advantages.

22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Agree. Take some time and listen to the Vandersteens. They will give you something to think about.

23. allied333

Very tight clean & rich bass down to about 32Hz. I have a 10" sub for my TV surround sound and it is more wooly sounding. I prefer the Revel bass by far.

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

I also use Revel M22s and love them. Are they audiophile speaker? Dunno. It's a matter of what the listener prefers, not which is "better." whatever measuring device is used.

After moving my system into a large basement room I began looking for larger speakers to replace them. I am now using a pair of speakers which retailed for $4k+ in for audition. After a few weeks I can say I absolutely prefer the small Revels.

I also had a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Signatures in the system for a couple weeks. The Vandersteens were close, but I honestly prefer the Revels. The only area the Vandersteens were better was bass reproduction.

I went and listened to a pair of Magnepan 1.7i speakers at a local dealer and knew within 10 minutes they weren't for me. Odd, as I owned a pair of 1.6s years ago and really liked them. Maybe I'll try a used pair of 1.6s for my room.

My point? Personal preference is what counts.

rodentdog, Shawn and pdxway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.