Where's my Nagaoka peeps at?!?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jelloalien, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I went crazy with trying to correct sibilance on culture clubs first album til i realized it was built in to the record(s)(s)(s). Duh! I felt like a real loon.

H8SLKC and Ninja Bomber like this.
  2. Ninja Bomber

Ninja Bomber Forum Resident

Yeah, that will happen. Been there, done that. :laugh:

Doc Diego and juno6000 like this.
  3. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Sort of like donovan's built in vocal tremelo!

Donniej and patient_ot like this.
  4. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Or try The Stylistics on wax! That can get your attention.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

And of course, the VM540ML is a $250 cartridge... whereas the Naga 110 is a $125 one. :sigh:

H8SLKC likes this.
  6. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I have to vouch for the MP-110 (I also have the MP-50 with the JNP-500 stylus but haven't set that one up yet) and I have had absolutely no problems with IGD or sibilance with the 110. I have been using it for the last 5 months and have thoroughly been enjoying the sounds it reproduces. If you're getting IGD/sibilance then it could be any number of factors from the tracks on the album being damaged, the cart not set correctly, the list goes on but I think the vast majority of folks have had few detractors but mostly positive experiences with this cart. I plan on having/using it for quite a long time to come.

dbsea likes this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Yup, I have no IGD problems with the Nagaoka MP-110. It also makes the sound so smooth and buttery and its stylus has helped reduce surface noise on a number of records I own.

dbsea and Jelloalien like this.
  8. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie Thread Starter

Do yourself a favour and set it up. You won't wanna go back to the 110.....

:)

kitt1987 and patient_ot like this.
  9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Well, I've finally managed to properly install the MP500 on my table. On first listen, its a fabulous cartridge. I need to listen more but, really... well defined, clear bass, lovely mids and smooth but clear highs. A really enjoyable listen. Nothing dominates but it all comes together very well. I'm really looking forward to getting some listening hours under my belt.

10. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Very awesome. Would like to hear your detailed impressions once it's run in. :righton:

Oh, and if you wound up liking it more than the Orty Black or not.

11. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Photobucket seems almost impossible to use anymore, just full of ads. You can just use the direct link and then put img tags around it ...

Code:
    [img]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee294/juno6000/360177202518-3.jpg[/img]

[​IMG]

12. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Cool! Thanks.

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I'm on my 2nd DL-110. Great cart, very musical with a big soundstage.

Jelloalien likes this.
  14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Well, apparently it is run in. The chap I bought it off said he'd put around 80 hours on it. I haven't had time for a detailed listen but first impressions are very good. My problem with the 2M Black is that the top end just seemed to dominate the sound. Like there was a sheen over everything. Almost the opposite of the "blanket over the speakers" effect some talk about when describing dull presentations.

To be fair, I had real trouble aligning the cart and I believe that the dealer who fitted my Black also had problems. It may be that, as a result, the Black wasn't really aligned properly, which is likely to have affected things.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  15. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

After spending quite awhile with an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, I have switched back to the MP-500. I could never really get rid of the brightness the AT33PTG/II brought to my system, and the bass was lacking in my opinion. I find the MP-500 to be quieter in the grooves with a glorious mid-range and pleasant frequency extremes.

I can see where the leanness of the AT33PTG/II could be an asset with new vinyl that is mastered with a heavier mix. But most of my listening/rips are comprised of vintage vinyl - and I find the Nagaoka suits it better. Probably helps that I have a phono stage that allows for easy adjustment of capacitance.

Just my two cents...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Jelloalien and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  16. I'm currently thinking of getting a stylus replacement for my Nagaoka MP-500 (JN-P500) just to have it ready for the day I have to replace my currently 3-year old one. I appreciate your input on the most reliable places to buy at the best prices. I used to count on @kazu for this, but it seems that he's not selling stuff anymore. I've also found the stylus at a very good price from a couple Japanese sellers on eBay, but how do I know if those are counterfeits or not before buying? Thank you in advance!

17. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Action Shot![​IMG]
    Stock new old PS-X7 with a Nagaoka MP-200 cart. Sounding transparent and lively. Very pleased & it's purple!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Jelloalien and 33na3rd like this.
  18. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I would be surprised if they are counterfeit. Nagaoka is kind of a niche brand. If you are buying from Japan you should be okay. Here is a link from vinyl engine: in the first few pages there are some links

Nagaoka club - Vinyl Engine

Jelloalien and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  19. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

No sibilance or igd issues for me with the mp 110. I have it on a rega rb303 shimmed to 4mm, Stevenson alignment and 1.75 vtf. My frame of reference is based on other carts I've used such as the at 440mla, Rega Exact, ortofon 2m bronze, and at 95e.

20. Jelloalien

I deal with the canada nagaoka distributor directly. I put my prices below for the styluses...I can't get the full carts at the moment unfortunately.
    Listed in Canadian funds (they include shipping in Canada and USA.....international would have to be quoted and can be pricey)

Feel free to shoot me a pm, I can certainly try and match online prices.....

Nagaoka

$ 115.00

$ 295.00

$ 390.00

$ 475.00

21. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

What about the 150 stylus?

22. Jelloalien

The 150 stylus is $250cdn

I must have forgot to copy and paste

23. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Love my MP-300!

juno6000 and Jelloalien like this.
  24. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Can you elaborate? This is the one cart I can never find any real constructive comments about. Did you have another Nahaoka to compare it to?

25. Jelloalien

I can't speak for him, but I have both a mp30 and mp50 and feel the mp50 is more detailed for sure. refined, and very musical. The mp30 has more of a edge to it, more rock and roll while still retaining warmth though.

Both kinda capture you, but I prefer the 500

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.