Which album have you given the most chances but still ended up disliking?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yet another vote for Pet Sounds. Every time I listen to it, my respect for Mike Love increases tenfold. I mean, I don't straight-up dislike it - it's OK, and I listen to it every so often (including right now, to the mono version on Spotify) and while it has a handful of standout tracks and some nice melodic bits elsewhere, it mostly strikes me as an exercise in overorchestration where the songs and their unmoored melodies get overwhelmed by the arrangements. Maybe I read too much about the album before actually listening to it properly, I dunno.

Oatsdad likes this.
  2. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Tried this many times as people keep telling me how great it is. I get the message (hard to avoid) but feel the music comes in second. Big PF fan and admirer of the way they could blend catchy and concerned with experimental, but this is too frickin' pretentious with not enough good songs.

[​IMG]

Atmospheric, MHP, Jim Foy and 3 others like this.
  3. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

The Grateful Dead's Greatest Hits......although, to be honest, I've never stayed awake long enough to listen to the whole album.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I can see why some folks didn't like Never Mind and the whole grunge thing it initiated. It very nicely did away with the Hair Metal scene. I personally thought it was a great album. -Marty

5. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Miles Davis...Live At The Fillmore

I'm a huge MD fan. And I even really like his fusion stuff, but I just can't get through that album. I actually sold it awhile back.

I bet I tried 10 times, but never got through the whole thing.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  6. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

This for me as well. Just too much indifferent material, and I've even gone negative on "Waterfalls," which I didn't think would happen. "Temporary Secretary" is like a drill in my skull.

I kind of like the deluxe edition, though. It's not as repetitive somehow, even if if it features longer versions of the same bad songs.

Pennywise likes this.
  7. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I'm struggling with Bjork's Medulla right now. Just got the colored vinyl and the last two times I've tried to play it I've turned it off in disgust. It's an assault on the ears. It doesn't look good. I mean, I'm no mastering engineer, but wtf? Music has now officially evolved to being just an obnoxious noise.

8. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

sometimes less is more. besides, those were Fred's designs AFAIK.

But i repeat, in what world do these sound half-assed. They sound anything but. They spent tons of time on each track, weeks upon weeks on certain ones even, working on one track all day. In what world are tracks such as "You're My Best Friend", "Good Company, "Bohemian Rhapsody", "God Save The Queen", "Somebody To Love", "The Millionaire Waltz", "White Man" and "Teo Torriatte" half-assed? Has the world gone topsy-turvy? I'm afraid your opinion baffles me.

Matheusms likes this.
  9. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Fun factor .... JJ rules this

10. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was referring to the album covers not the music.

11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Captain Beefheart "Trout Mask Replica"

Runners-up (revered "Classics" that I think have a few good songs, but are vastly overrated [IMHO]):

Stones "Exile"

"Astral Weeks"

"Pet Sounds"

12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

:yikes:

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  13. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Is that 'At Fillmore' (1970 double LP), 'Live at the Fillmore East, March 7, 1970' (2001 2 cd set) or the box set 'Miles At The Fillmore'? :).

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  14. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Trout Mask Replica. Still can't do it and I have tried. :shrug:

dino77 likes this.
  15. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Frampton Comes Alive! - I got this for my birthday when it came out. Didn't like it then. Years later I bought the CD. Didn't like it. Years later bought the deluxe CD. Didn't like it.

Pet Sounds - ???? don't get it.

The Wall - it is like 60% filler and a few good tracks.

Dylan Basement Tapes - not into it

fra_pe likes this.
  16. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Which you called "the only thing semi-decent about these albums". So in your opinion the music itself is not even semi-decent and worse than "half-assed". I get that these albums aren't everyone's cup of tea. I don't get your evaluation, though.

17. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Whew! I escaped!

18. OK Computer - Radiohead
    That Lucky Old Sun - Brian Wilson
    Liberty - Duran Duran
    + pretty much anything by Oasis. Though (What's The Story) Morning Glory would've been great with a less annoying lead singer.

19. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can't stand both.

20. fra_pe

fra_pe Forum Resident

I'm with you. Especially Frampton. Tried many times. Ended up trying to sell the Deluxe Edition. Nobody seemed to want it...
    The Wall is okay (memories from my youth) but far from the best PF Albums.

21. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

those are not half-assed, they are perfect just the way they are.

22. So you read the OP's question, but you just didn't understand it. :confused:

wolfram likes this.
  23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I got that.

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm far from the biggest Costello fan and GOD only knows that his catalog is far too large to attempt to navigate, unless you ARE a huge fan. With that said, I must thank my wife for getting me to finally "hear" the light of day with his music, when she told me about the "King Of America" album. I find it very hard to not, at the very least, appreciate songs like "Brilliant Mistake", "Our Little Angel" and "Indoor Fireworks". You may want to give that album another try, if you ever feel the need to attempt his music again, as it was the one that did the trick for me.

25. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

Another vote for Ok Computer, some good tracks Paranoid Android, Karma Police but it still leaves me cold. I don't get why its revered so highly as the best album in the world/of all time, I actually don't know what that album would be but if we were talking about Radiohead I prefer The Bends.

My second vote would go to Tommy- The Who and I love The Who, love the first half, hate the second half with 'I'm Free' as the exception, feel the concept is overblown despite the great playing. Quadrophenia on the other hand feels like a better body of work in terms of playing, with a better more relatable story line yet is sort of seen by the general public as their lower tier masterpiece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.