Which alignment method is the best for Ortfon 2m Red?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by colby2415, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

OK, thanks, I thought you meant the null point alignment we were talking about here, but sure, azimuth is very important too.

2. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I am looking at the null point as well. Look at the fourth picture and tell me whats wrong.

3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

No, I thought you were saying a test record could be used to check the null point alignment, and I hadn't heard that before. But you clarified that you were referring to the azimuth. Sorry for the confusion :)

@irender pointed out what he thinks is the error in the 4th picture, but I can't tell if it's a straight on shot, that was my point. No biggie, the OP should carefully check it again, I think we all agree.

4. Slippers-on

I have one of those computer screens that you can enlarge the picture. The stylus is clearly not centered.. one side of the cart is off the line.

5. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ah ok, now i see what was meant by it being "slightly" off. I do have a loupe type thing that I got on amazon with a light, so I am covered there. Will dedicate some time aside tommorow to align.

6. colby2415

Ok, will fiddle with the alignment a bit more tommorow. Regarding these test records, why do those cost so darn much? Something like 50 dollars from what I have seen. I know it really isn't 100% required, but is there any decent ones that don't cost such crazy cash? Might be worth the investment though as you say.

7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I detest test records. Consider carefully.
    The tracks for setting anti-skate are ridiculous. Have about as much to do with actually tracking a modulated groove as a pimple on the bum does! WAY too hot.
    I fail every single anti skate test miserably on the HIFI news test record, and my table sounds stellar with no hint of distortion anywhere.

jmczaja and HiFi Guy like this.
  8. strymeow

strymeow Forum Resident

9. Slippers-on

Really! Opposite for me. Both channels same output. If you still have your test record, then you won't mind selling to Colby? On the anti skate....the distortion should be less after you make adjustments....I think it even says that some place in the instructions...it's about impossible for any TT to get distortion completely out unless you have an very very very expensive TT....so in most cases less is better. It takes a little time to fiddle with the anti-skate tracts getting as much distortion out as possible. I've got the 2M Black dialed in much better than before I used the test record.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  10. brianmch

brianmch Forum Resident

Colby/OP
    Did you click on the links for the systemdeck arms? The Profile 3 is also badged as a Jelco SA 50 st iv arm and seems to differ from the Profile II by the spindle size.

If you go to Database>Cartridge Alignment Protractors and click the alignment calculator pro link . It'll take you to a place to input your 210 mm mounting distance, 228 effective length, and 18mm overhang. This will calculate the null points for you for the various mounting theories.

here is the link. you might need to register but VE is the bomb for TT folk. That link shows you a graphic of what each term means.

Tonearm Alignment Calculator Pro - Vinyl Engine

What slippers is referring to, azimuth, isn't addressed in the above. BUT it's important too. It is hard to test azimuth if your amp doesn't have a mono switch tho. I was told to get the tracking force first, then distances to both null points, then the tracing angle of the tip in the grooves, then azimuth.

11. colby2415

Yeah, I did go to the database and saw the information there on the pivot to spindle. However, I am not sure if I have the profile 1, 2 or 3 arm. I cannot find any unique identifiers. I did go ahead and create the arc protractor, but how do I even know if the 210mm number is even accurate? would the arc protractor not fit the platter if the numbers were not right? For example, If I put 230 instead of 210, would I know that the protractor was wrongly sized?

12. irender

irender Forum Resident

I also have a Systemdek IIX but with a different tonearm. I have had no luck at all finding any real information on the specs for this table/tonearm. I have used a Geo-Disc for years with success but decided to get a Dr. Feickert protractor.

13. colby2415

Hmm, well in this case maybe its just best to use the universal ones from vinyl engine.

14. colby2415

Alright everyone, I think I have improved my alignment the best I could. Spent about 45 minutes fiddling with small adjustments till i got this:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

How does it look? To me I feel that it is almost perfect now.

Any thoughts?

15. EmmEff

EmmEff Well-Known Member

How does it sound?

16. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Whatever you do, please (1) don't get stressed and go down a crazy audiophile rabbit hole and (2) enjoy the sound without anxiety about your set up. It's way possible, almost unavoidable, to get wrapped around the axle regarding every little thing in this hobby. The next time you are tempted to spend more money on gear, or to go nuts about set up, just pause for a few minutes and grab any LP you own, any of them. Plop one on a platter and turn on the motor. Watch it spin and observe that it is almost assuredly out of round because the spindle hole is not perfectly centered; observe the up and down movement of the not-perfectly-flat platter; remember, no matter how perfect your set up, the very media being played on that set up is far more imperfect than the rest of the chain. All of this is to say worry less and enjoy more. Part of the joy of listening to records lies in the imperfection and fetishism of it all. Hobbyists are way too easily drawn down the rabbit hole because of the fetishism, seeking perfection. They miss the entire point.

ToxicSoundtracks, PATB and EmmEff like this.
  17. colby2415

Yeah, I agree with this. Best to just sit back and listen. I guess you can't really ever have the "perfect" setup, because its not possible.

H8SLKC likes this.
  18. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Hmm I wouldn't just be accepting a wobbly platter. But that's probably just Me.

19. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Read it again. I was talking about the records themselves, not the platter. Show me a perfectly round, perfectly flat record. Talk about unicorns.....

20. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

As you said..
    "observe the up and down movement of the not-perfectly-flat platter;"
    Anyway.

21. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Let me correct myself by saying that I was referring to the record, not a great use of language on my part, but still think it was fairly clear (at least to me!) that I was talking about the record itself. I don't understand the fixation that enthusiasts have with precision when the media itself is very, very imprecise in its manufacture. Sorry again about my word usage there.

22. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

We are hi tech NERDS of the highest order and cant help ourselves. :)

23. colby2415

yeah, this is what I thought you meant as well. Now I am even more confused hahah

24. irender

irender Forum Resident

I like to think I'm getting the best of what is on these recordings. Even a better reason to be precise.

25. colby2415

Yeah, I agree. But eventually you get to a point that you are chasing the impossible. I figured i did the best possible job I could, and that's all I can really ask for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.