Which amp solution for MMG

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinylfindco, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters Thread Starter

I am just about to receive my new MMGs and my Basis 1400 is good to go. I have a Perreaux 3150 which has been sitting for a couple of years but worked beautifully with my previous Maggies, the 1.6. The problem is the preamp, mine are both needing repair. I have an ARC SP9 Mk III, but it has to go back to the factory for repair and I have no idea what the cost will be. I also have a CJ 5 but that's not working either, and I had preferred the SP9 last time in this set up. I'm thinking of getting the Vincent SA-31, which I had used for a short time with the Perreaux and their PHO-111 which I still have. I have about 750 to spend. What would you do?

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I bought an Outlaw RR2150 ($700) receiver when I bought my MMGs about 2 years ago. It's high current, which is what the Maggies love, as Barry Diament recommended to me. I love the crap out of it, and it has plenty of power, with lots of great features and a dynamite phono stage. The tuner is very impressive, although I don't use it much. Outlaw also makes great amps in that $700 price range. I would have gone that route, except I have a space limitation in the AV rack I'm using, and the receiver fit in nicely. By the way, the design keeps it from generating the heat you would expect. Hope that's of some help. You'll love the MMGs, but give them some break in time.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/

3. Vinylfindco

Thanks for your reply. I have been doing some research into all new amplification, as some of the stuff I have is hitting 30 years old. I'm afraid that if the Perreaux fails there won't be certain parts available to repair it. That said, it's very well built, like a tank! So I've been reading Barry's comments about the Outlaw line, and also researching Emotiva. Have you heard anything from that company? A lot of raves, but also a few quality control issues. Also, how bad is the impact on your electric bill using the Outlaw. The Perreaux seemed to drive my bills through the roof, though I did like to leave it on as it sounded best fully warmed up.

4. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

If you want a really great receiver I'd go with an Anthem. Over the years I've had them from about every manufacturer and by far the best IMHO is this brand. The ARC tuning on it is really something to experience. There is a used MRX500 on Agon that would be right in your price range. Please let me know if you any questions about the brand or item, and no, I'm not the one selling it or affiliated in any way with them (outside of being a very happy customer).

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/r...rc-2016-01-21-miscellaneous-53132-franklin-wi

Another item I would recommend is the Parasound A23, check on AGON again. Has a VERY beefy toroid transformer and its one of the John Curl designed amps. I use an older 2205a which I've absolutely loved. Both companies have fantastic customer service and residual value or their used products holds up extremely well.

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I looked at Emotiva before I went with Outlaw. Yes, quality control issues is what tipped the scale for me, plus Barry's advice in a series of very helpful emails. As far as the electric bill, I haven't noticed any difference from the Sherwood Newcastle monster receiver I used previously. The fact that I can drive my Maggies all day at loud volumes and not feel much heat coming off the Outlaw is a tribute to the design.

Shawn likes this.
  6. Vinylfindco

I checked the website and saw the receiver, though I wasn't crazy about the cosmetics. I know were talking sound here, but i will be interacting with it! I think is I went with Outlaw, the slim monos seem like a good fit. I was surprised they have no stand alone preamp to go with their amps. Did they have one that was discontinued?

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You need a lot more money than that for a good tube preamp. Get a simple and cheap passive level controller for now and save up to repair the SP9. It might be much more economical to have someone other than ARC repair the preamp. You would need to find a good tech that you can trust to either make it right or forward it to ARC for you if they find it in your best interest.
    -Bill

Mad shadows likes this.
  8. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I've been running my MMGs with older Outlaw M200 mono amps...the slim ones...for several years. I run them through my Creek 5350SE integrated, using the preamp only. It's an excellent combination in my smallish listening room so I can also recommend Outlaw amplification with no hesitation.

ben_wood and Shawn like this.
  9. I just purchased an Outlaw amp (the 7700) to power a surround set-up of Martin Logan electrostatics as they too like a lot of clean power. Very happy with my purchase, and Outlaw is both easy to deal with and has a great warranty. ATI actually makes this amp for Outlaw, another plus in my book.

If you decide on Outlaw, be sure to check out their 'B' stock items to save some $$$.

10. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

Emotiva works well with the MMG's ( I used UPA 1 monoblocks) with plenty of power but it is a combination that results in a slightly brighter more detailed sound than I prefer. I moved the UPA 1's to my Media room where it powers a set of old MGI very well (the best I've ever heard with those speakers in fact) The combination of the brighter, more detailed UPA 1 with the laid back sound of the MGI is about right for my taste. The nice thing about Emotiva's is that you can try them out for 30 days and send them back if you don't like them. (Return freight is on you dime though). On the preamp, I ended up with a tube Mapletree 2A SE which I really like. It's roughly in the ballpark of $ OP talked about. It uses 12sn7 which are very inexpensive if one wishes to do a lot of experimenting with NOS tubes. It can also use current 6sn7's.

11. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I would absolutely recommend the NuPrime STA-9. 120 wpc class A/class D hybrid. $650. Can be bridged into mono blocks at 240 wpc.

A steal.
    http://www.nuprimeaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers-and-preamps/stereo-amps/sta-9.html

If you can stretch a few hundred more, an Odyssey Khartago is the way to go.

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have MMG's as my rear speakers and I'm using a Marantz power amp and it works very well.

13. RPhelps

RPhelps Forum Resident

agree about the Marantz power

14. Vinylfindco

Well, the frustration continues. The Vincent preamp arrived today and before even opening it, I started to set up the Perreaux. As you may recall, it's been in storage for four years. Plugged it in and a spark shot from the outlet. Unplugged and tried another outlet and its dead. I don't know how dead. I checked the fuses and it appears that the slow blow mains fuse is blown. I guess I should get the correct replacement and try again? Wouldn't cost much to try. Pretty frustrated and thinking of a integrated with phono and be done with vintage gear. 4 pieces and counting. CJ-5, ARC SP-9 MKIII, Yamaha CR 2020 and now the Perreaux 3150! I have no trusted tech in my area (Miami)
    On another front, the Maggies are opening up after about 10 hours. This is with the Yamaha HT amp.
    QUESTION: I hooked a Polk passive sub on the B speaker outputs and its nice to have some bass but there are no controls so its not really integrated well at all but not terrible. My question is since the Maggies are on A, I assume they are getting the full signal. Will they break in the same with the sub connected? If the Maggies went lower, this probably wouldn't work as I'd be getting double low frequency info, is that right? By the way this sub only has speaker inputs, no output whatsoever.

15. Vinylfindco

Sade Love Deluxe CD sounded pretty awesome without the sub, but this music has deep bass, so it was better with the sub, but maybe a little boomy. I'll try moving the sub away from the wall / corner.

16. Vinylfindco

I ended up with the Odyssey Stratos and am very happy with it. I did get the ARC SP-9 repaired. Great combo, now just need the right subwoofer.

HiFi Guy and chodad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.