Which artist's death affected you the most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

ELO bassist, Kelly Groucutt.

c-eling likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Peter Steele, was hoping for a few more albums from this big galoot

3. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Well all the Ramones are now gone, i mean all the 4, they should be still here they weren't that old, even Keith Richards is still here. It's sad. :cry:

erniebert likes this.
  4. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

John Lennon:

5. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Lou Reed. I'm still shocked that he's passed on. I mean, he's Lou effin' REED! And I didn't realize how great he truly was until after he died, but when he did, it really hit me. One of music's smartest and most innovative people is gone.

Dr Faustus and Jerryb like this.
  6. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

My mother was devastated by John's death.

My father still doesn't seem to be completely over Jimi's death.

At least the music will live on forever.

7. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

d. boon
    allen woody
    mark sandman
    ron asheton
    don van vliet

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

John Henry Bonham

Clanceman likes this.
  9. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Johnny Cash. I still haven't been able to listen to his final recordings. I'm not sure I could handle it.

10. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Amy Winehouse. I was rooting for her.

BeardedSteven and She is anyway like this.
  11. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Picasso

John Fell likes this.
  12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I cried when John Cage died. He'd been so important to me in my youth.

MungoMusic likes this.
  13. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Frank Zappa

MungoMusic and John Fell like this.
  14. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Lennon. His murder seemed so arbitrary and pointless and inexplicable. I remember so vividly where I was when I heard the news - what I was doing, how cold it was, how dim the light was, and I remember thinking, "why, why, why would anyone want to do harm to a man who makes beautiful music for us all?"

Many other artist's deaths were very sad in their own way, but this one hit me the hardest. Those who died from disease or drugs or their own hand seem to be part of the course of life - unfortunate perhaps, but inevitable. But John's murder shocked me to acknowledge how cruel and random life can be. I was naive.

Clanceman and JL6161 like this.
  15. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I wasn't a Beatles fan but when I heard of Lennons death, it was a pretty big shock and I still have the old Time and Newsweek mags from that week with cover stories.

Probably the few that *did* affect me in a more personal way was Randy Rhoad's death - I was a pretty big fan at the time and ranked him right up in my top 5 guitarists under Eddie Van Halen. Stevie Ray Vaughan specifically because he was my soon-to-be ex-girlfriend's favorite musician (we had seen him barely a year before with BB King opening) and our last night out together before completely breaking up was sharing drinks in memory the night we heard he'd been killed in the copter crash. Stuart Adamson's (Big Country, Skids) death was pretty sad as I was following their website in late 2001 and their manager had posted there that Adamson had gone "missing." About a week later his body was discovered, a victim of suicide.

Easily the strongest impact though was Stiv Bator, because I had hung out and socialized with him a number of times between '85 - '87. After The Lords Of The New Church absconded to the UK and Europe in disarray in '88 - '89, it seemed like he disappeared off the face of the Earth until I heard about his passing in the Summer of '90 in a issue of Kerrang! magazine of all places. Ironically, his death from being hit by a car in Paris was almost anti-climactic considering he was by a long stretch the biggest hardcore substance abuser I have ever personally known and figured he'd someday be an OD casualty.

MungoMusic and Howdin 66 like this.
  16. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Joe Strummer, because it was so unexpected.

But I also have to say John Lennon. December 8, 1980 was a terrible, terrible night.

17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I was re-reading this thread. One of the members of the band teaches at the Oak Park School of Rock, and I was asked to shoot a concert by Chase Revisited. As many of the original players as possible were assembled, along with Eric Miyashiro for a series of concerts at Reggie's in Chicago. I was totally unfamiliar with Chase before this year, but came away totally impressed. These guys are no spring chickens, but damn they could play!

JMT likes this.
  18. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Man, I forget sometimes how much these guys really rocked. Horns never looked or sounded so cool, as well.

Mark-T, Rick H. and AudiophilePhil like this.
  19. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

To this point.....Lennon. Shocking, sad, senseless. What a monumental loss.

2nd to that:

Bonham hit me on a more personal level. I was a teenage Zep fanatic with a deposit (gift of my grandmother) on tickets for the tour supporting ITTOD. It would never be. I couldn't believe it. I wore a dark suit to school the next day.

3rd:

Elvis.....my dad was devastated. I became an Elvis fan through my father that year.

old school likes this.
  20. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

Kurt Cobain.

I can't stand Nirvana's music since that day.

I was a big fan since Bleach and can barely bring myself to even listen to that although I've maybe circled back to 2 or 3 songs but literally maybe 3 or 4 plays in all these years and that was maybe a few months back...and anything after Bleach I don't think I've listened to since then. My wife got me the Bleach and rare tracks box set and I've never even opened it..she doesn't know but it's just collecting dust in my office.

I am not personally affected by his death in that it had some sort of impact on my life...but the music just makes me sick since them.

just my two bits.

21. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Interesting that it affects you this way. I can see it, but it just affects me differently. I took them for granted when he was living. I saw them about a year before his death, here in Portland.

I remember getting pissed at Kurt's harsh comments onstage, regarding Axl Rose and GnR. I sort of boycotted them after that. A year later....tragedy, and many years later I'm a fan of the music more than at any other time.

22. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

John Lennon. I was in my final undergraduate year at the University of Wisconsin- Madison, and had been a huge fan since I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan (my first 45rpm was "She Loves You" on Swan records). I had bought Double Fantasy the week it was released, and was so excited to have him making music again. That such a senseless act of violence could end his life so suddenly is tragic beyond words. In many ways, I never saw the world the same way again after that night.

23. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

John Lennon, coming right when I was at the height of my Beatles phase.

Miles Davis, who'd somehow seemed ageless.

Kurt Cobain, who I knew personally and who was around my age when he died

Clanceman likes this.
  24. old school

old school Senior Member

For me Jimi Hendrix. What a huge loss what would have been his next album? To me his influence on me has never left and I'm 60 in December!

John Fell and Clanceman like this.
  25. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

Vic Chesnutt.