Which artist's death affected you the most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 18, 2014.

1. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Jerry Garcia

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Since several of you have mentioned Hendrix, here are some pictures from the concert I attended. (I didn't take them, though.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MungoMusic, Fullbug, zebop and 4 others like this.
  3. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Bill Doss

MungoMusic likes this.
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Erick Lee Purkhiser aka Lux Interior of the Cramps. At 62.

Jeffrey Ross Hyman aka Joey Ramone of the Ramones. At 49.

...along with John Lennon, Alex Chilton, Lou Reed.

5. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

James Brown and George Jones and Alex Chilton.

6. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Ah, this is a nice one, Bill.

It made me think that if I grew up in your neighborhood at the same time and we were hanging out, it be saying exactly this.

John Fell and old school like this.
  7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I can't even begin to imagine......

There are a few: Elvis, Zep, Beatles, Duane, Classic Skynyrd lineup, Stones w/B. Jones, Who w/Moon (jeez, that's just off the top of my head-I've missed a lot!) that I'd put in this category. My mind would be blown. Hendrix is possibly at the top of that list for me.

Two thoughts: 1. As for Lynyrd Skynyrd, I was 12, the summer of 77', when they played Anaheim stadium, down the street from me, on the Street Survivors tour. While I was too young, I remember the hype and a couple of my classmates older brothers and sisters were going. I thought, "in a few years, I can start going to these and see a major band like Skynyrd." I would have every reason to believe that I'd see this band in their prime. It wasn't to be. The Skynyrd tragedy would factor in to the passion, at an early age, to see the bands I love whenever the chance.

2. What sort of defines my fanaticism for the Rolling Stones since 1977, is that they are a band that would be in that group I describe above, yet I've been able to live through and experience this band playing and performing at a high level....and still do! So, a band that would've been one that "I couldn't even imagine seeing",......I've been able to experience pretty much non stop the last 37 years or so. :)

8. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

John Lennon, I still can't believe he's not with us anymore

Mark R Jones likes this.
  9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I know the feeling, I been threw it a couple of times.

Laibach likes this.
  10. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Lennon.

Still hurts.

mooseman and Clanceman like this.
  11. paradoxguy

paradoxguy Well-Known Member

Richard Manuel of the Band hanged himself a few days before my birthday in March 1986. I read the obituary in a Chicago newspaper in the college dorm cafeteria and was somewhat devastated. A work colleague had introduced me to the Band's music in summer 1985 and I quickly became an enthusiast, purchasing the first three albums. I loved Richard Manuel's emotionally expressive voice in songs like "Whispering Pines", "I Shall Be Released", "In a Station", and "Lonesome Suzie". I also becamine curious why Manuel's songwriting contributions seem to start strong with Music From Big Pink but rapidly decreased to a few co-writes with The Band and Stage Fright. From readings of interviews with Band members and watch interviews of a somewhat wasted Manuel alongside an animated and sober Robbie Robertson, I surmised Manuel's substance abuse impaired his songwriting abilities and perhaps contributed to depression and lack of confidence in his abilities. Manuel's narrative is sad and tragic and somehow the pathos of the Band's members being reduced to touring "lounges" (the lounge the Band played immediately before Manuel committed suicide was the Cheek-to-Cheek Lounge) seems a fitting conclusion for Manuel's deterioration and end. I took an interest in Manuel's sad narrative and hoped for a while he would be able to overcome his demons and become more productive musically again. Reading his obituary in the Chicago newspaper was a blow to my hopes for him and I was especially sad realizing he could not overcome his demons and ended his life playing a somewhat demeaning tour for a musician (and band) of his status and abilities. For a few days I was emotionally withdrawn and my normally irreverent roommate uncharacteristically respected my grief. The same roommate organized a small impromptu surprise birthday observation in the dorm cafeteria, the highlight of which was a mutual female friend carried the cake throughout the large cafeteria to me wearing a bright smile and a red unconservative dress and kissed me upon presenting the cake. This did wonders in dissipating my depression and, while it will always be a tragedy, Richard Manuel became an objective statistic amongst the many deaths of rock musicians.

MungoMusic, Mother, Borgia and 3 others like this.
  12. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

That was a pretty big shock. I was a pretty big Cramps fan, say them recently on their last tour (about the 6th time) when they played Hollywood and followed the fan mailing list Stay Sick. When word leaked out that he suddenly died, there was about half an evenings worth of "it's gotta be a joke or trolling" but it soon became apparent it was true. Almost as sad, Ivy has virtually disappeared.

lightbulb likes this.
  13. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing this. Great story. Outstanding post!

14. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

George Harrison, by a long way. The only death of a non-family member that's ever reduced me to tears.

The response of ITVs breakfast show (Britain's biggest commercial tv station) was horrendous, and didn't ease the situation at all.

mooseman likes this.
  15. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I came here to say the exact same thing. George Harrison dying was tough.

When I first discovered the Beatles at 11yrs old (1996!), Free As A Bird depressed me to no end because they couldn't get back together. John Lennon was dead.

Then in 2001 -- a few months after 9/11 -- Harrison dies. He was just such a beautiful human being.

oldsurferdude and OobuJoobu like this.
  16. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

jeff Buckley even if i remebmer the days john Lennon and bob marley passed away! i loved them but jeff was so young and still have many things to give us. Lennon was semi retired man and not very at his best!

17. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I must admit, at first I thought it was some bizarre tale meant to mysteriously wrap up the Cramps legacy...maybe this was a sick joke, and had more flair than announcing, "we're retiring". Tragically, not so.
    Yes, I agree that's its sad Ivy has dropped from sight, but it a way that speaks volumes to me regarding the intensity and commitment of both their professional and personal relationship. In this day and age, it's refreshing to see such a display of respect. I truly hope that's the situation, and also that, in some aspects, she has moved on.

19. CBS CLASH 3

CBS CLASH 3 Forum Resident

Joe Strummer
    Elliott Smith
    MCA

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Glenn Gould. I assumed that classical musicians make it to a ripe old age. Still, with Glenn Gould issuing a remake of the Goldberg Variations one would suspect that something was up, particularly when looking at the haggard face on the album jacket. Gould did say he intended to stop playing piano at 50 . . .

Glenn Gould was something of a mystery to me, I wound up airing a great many of his CBC programs for KPFA in the late 1980s. this included the U.S. premiere of 'Solitude Trilogy', a set of audio documentaries concerning groups of people who are seeking solitude, as Glenn Gould himself was constantly seeking solitude. Heady stuff.

21. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

Two deaths impacted me more than others because they were tragic in a human way not a "rock star" way if that makes sense. Grant McLennan of the Go-Between hit me hard because I had the pleasure of meeting him once and because the band was getting a second life and was having one of the best album runs ever. They were finally getting some recognition and monetary success. The fact that Grant died of a heart attack the day he was going to propose to his girlfriend is beyond tragic. Second is the passing of Adam Yauch of cancer at 47. Forget that his death effectively ended one of the greatest trio of voices ever, his death hit me on a personal level because I grew up with the Beastie Boys and he wasn't much older than I was with wife and a daughter. I was gutted in a way that, say, Cobain's death didn't hit me because as tragic as that was I wasn't surprised.

MungoMusic likes this.
  22. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Both Kate McGarrigle & Lou Reed. They both provided the soundtracks that ushered in my adulthood.

23. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Thanks paradoxguy. I forgot about Richard Manuel. I loved the Band, and was really shocked that Richard took his own life. I saw them a few months after this in a club in Arkansas.

24. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I'll go Harrison as well. I remember Lennon but was too young to really place it in context.

With George I was driving to work and heard it on the radio. I had to pull over to compose myself, it took a whole. I've not cried at a 'celebrity' death before or since. I'm not proud of it, I didn't know him and it felt like an over reaction at the time and in retrospect actually. But the moment is etched on my mind.

RIP George. In a parallel universe somewhere they're all still alive and still together making great music.

25. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

Easily Stevie Ray Vaughan
    I am born and raised Wisconsinite and being a GIANT fan and seeing him pass away in my home state made it doubly tough
    Still haven't listened to a record or cd of his since that day