Which artist's death affected you the most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Here's another one - Gary Moore was a fairly recent passing that hit hard.

I was a big fan when he started out doing the hard rock/metal stuff around the "Corridors Of Power" album (as well as Thin Lizzy's earlier "Black Rose") in the early 80's, and between Moore, Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen, that was my big three guitarists of that era. I got to see Moore only twice, once opening for Rush during his Victims Of The Future tour and in '87-ish during his Wild Frontier US club tour. My friend and I where such big Moore fans, we bought 10th row seats through an agency to the Rush show only to see Moore, than left early in Rush's set because we hated Rush at the time.

I kind of lost interest as he meandered through the last 15 or so years with a number of mostly blues-based retreads although fortunately, he was fairly prolific and jumped back and forth between genres and every few years, one of his albums would stick with me (SCARS was particularly impressive).

Still, it was kind of a shock just months before he died to come across a slew of recent live clips on YouTube of Moore playing small clubs and bars look grossly overweight and unhealthy. When news hit of his passing, it was comforting to read so many musicians and fans giving him props for his playing and influence through the decades.

2. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

3. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

George Harrison. Made me break out the whisky.

MungoMusic, zebop and Fullbug like this.
  4. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

Hendrix....Total shock

5. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Brian Jones (I was 14 at the time)
    Jimi Hendrix (15)
    Bob Marley (26)
    Jeff Buckley (42)
    Thomas Mera Gartz (57)

6. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

For me, it has to be Davy Jones. I have been a huge Monkees fan since age 13(1986) and I have been fortunate to have met all four Monkees. I met Davy last, 4 months before his passing. He was at a convention in Cherry Hill, NJ in October 2011. I was feeling under the weather and almost did not go to the show. Had I not been there, I never would have met one of my musical heroes. I was very starstuck when I met him for some reason, and all I could really say was asking about Bill Chadwick (his friend and writing partner) and my favorite Davy Monkees track ("If I Knew"). He actually sang a couple lines for me and I was mesmerized. I thanked him for signing my Pisces LP and for all the music he gave to us. He replied with "My pleasure". Davy was a true friend of the fans and always did his best to meet and greet, take photos etc. Although I only spent 5 minutes in his presence, everything I had read and felt about Davy was true (which is an awesome thing). Many of my other musical heroes disappointed me when I had the chance to meet them. I miss his positive spirit. His music got me through some rough times and my only regret when meeting him was not having told him that. He had so much presence and vitality, it's still hard to believe he is gone. But, there are the Monkees episodes, the movie Head and lots of great music. RIP David T. Jones.

Mark-T and Groggy like this.
  7. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Please elaborate. What form did their response take?

8. Shocking as Lennon's death was it had nowhere near the impact on me that Marvin Gaye's senseless shooting had. Dying at the hands of a parent, especially as an adult, seems unthinkable. Marvin had seemed to be getting things together, he was back in the States having hits and proving he was still a creative force. It seems the drugs and hangers on were just biding their time. A total waste.
    Joe Strummer going so young left me sad as well.

MungoMusic likes this.
  9. old school

old school Senior Member

You grew up in Anaheim Clance? I was 23 in 77 so I got a few years on you bro.

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

After Lennon, I found myself surprisingly saddened when Rick Wright died.

11. CMcGeek

CMcGeek Loves records maybe too much

John Lennon.

More than anyone, for real.
    It bothered me that at the time most kids in my school didn't seem to care and were even making fun of the shooting.
    Dudes were all broken up when Bonham passed away from his own habitual activities just 2 months earlier, but John Lennon getting shot wasn't a tragedy for them.

12. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Dimebag Darrell, just total shock.

13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think they were caught completely unaware, and ended up asking anyone they could for their thoughts on the news, which turned out to be various kiddie pop stars of the early 21st century who clearly had little idea who George was, but they had to try and pretend that he was a great hero to them, it was embarassing.

14. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

One of the best guitar solos ever.

For me deaths that had an impact on me are:

John Lennon
    Mark Linkous
    Johnny Cash

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  15. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

It does my heart good to see Sid Vicious up there between Curt Cobain and George Harrison, getting the recognition he deserves at last !!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. pawelgra77

pawelgra77 Member

Zappa. Can't tell why but that's the first name that popped up when I read the thread's title.

I was in high school when he died and Sheik Yerbouti was becoming one of my fav records back then.

MungoMusic likes this.
  17. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

[​IMG]

Rita MacNeil: 1944-2013

With her voice, talent and nice persona, she made me proud to have Nova Scotian roots.

18. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Alex Chilton.
    I'm not sure why, the news just broke me down.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, to be honest I don't tend to feel personally about people I don't actually know. Not that I'm indifferent, just that it doesn't hit me hard.

Still, two "celebrity" deaths that did give me pause were: Freddie Mercury. AIDS was still this big unspoken secret, and not well understood. And Freddie was more alive than anyone else on the planet. His performance was second to none, and he was the consummate showman. Most of all though, it was obvious that he was one of a kind, there'll never be anyone as good as him again - and at the same time, Queen were finished too. I've still not been able to listen to their albums with other singers. Irrationally, no Freddie meant no more Queen.

The other was my favorite author - JG Ballard. It still hurts a little that I'll never get to read new work from him again.

Cobain's death was probably the most annoying. Sorry to write that, but it just p*ssed me off. A boatload of talent wasted, and no-one around him was able to do anything...... that's about it really......

melo85 likes this.
  20. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

john lennon
    grant mclennan

21. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Fred Astaire

22. maxwelledison1

maxwelledison1 Senior Member

John Lennon
    George Harrison
    Ricky Nelson

23. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

He knew??

ramdom likes this.
  24. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Jason Molina

25. I was saddened to learn of the death of Mud's Les Gray & Dave Mount at the time. Mud were my 'entry' into music back in late 1973 so having my early heroes expire touched a nerve.
    Others that touched me were Marc Bolan, John Bonham and then Phil Lynott and Brian Connolly but really by 1980 I'd distanced myself from this hero-worshipping we do of people who we have no real connection with, basically I grew up. They were only peripherals to the core of my life i.e. family & friends. Once I lost my first family member and then my first dog I realised this devotion seemed so comical. All the time spent obsessing over little details of an artist's career that you could easily have spent with those who really matter.

Andy Smith and Vaughan like this.