Which Artists Would Not Be Signed Today?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not today...are you kidding me? it's almost mandatory that they hate and have no problem expressing it publicly....Respect? what's that?

Hermes likes this.
  2. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Amy Winehouse became a popular artist by doing exactly the same as Janis Joplin: pretending to be a Black singer of blues while doing a lot of drugs.
    And you think Janis was not signed for her looks? She looked the part, she was a good dresser, and obviously she was aware of her image.
    And Mama Cass may not hav been signed for her looks, but having a supermodel in the band probably didn't hurt the Mamas and Papas' carreer.
    I disagree.
    The equivalent to Dylan, would be a hip hop artist - as in, someone more popular for his lyrics. Plenty of popular rappers are not remarkably good looking. Certainly less so than Dylan, who was a good looking kid when Colmubia signed him (and like Janis, Dylan was a good dresser and image-oriented)

I disagree with the rosy vision of the past and the dark vision of today. Things are more contrasted.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  3. brock

brock Forum Resident

If we’re talking about the majors and the mainstream, then Steely Dan. “Pretty” has been the price of entry since the dawn of MTV, and Steely Dan, well...

4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Gary Glitter.

:frog:

5. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Nobody special has been signed since 1990. Dylan, Bowie, Prince? No chance!

Genesis, Pink Floyd, Black Sab, ELO, 10cc, no no no.

You have to be a prettyboy or a female sex monster to make it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.