Which aspect of Cream stands out most to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lc1995, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Clapton's guitar, Bruce's vocals, or Baker's drumming? Of course, all 3 were very important to their sound.
    But personally I think it's the vocals that take the cake. One of my coworkers was playing "Sunshine of Your Love" on a bluetooth speaker the other day, and the way he said "I'll stay with you 'til my seeds are dried up" really stood out to me.
    And of course, his performance on White Room is also phenomenal.

Crungy, Tuco, bpmd1962 and 4 others like this.
  2. Psychedelic.

Though:

Percussions
    Bass
    Songwriting
    Vocals
    Rock
    Blues
    Album Art
    Fashion
    Studio Songs
    Hairstyles
    Live Performances
    &
    Guitar
    also 'stands out' as well!!

Enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  3. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Their genius was their ability to convey everything that was interesting about the progressive (small "p") side of late 60s rock in a sub 3 minute pop song format.

I would argue that they were more effective in that area than even the Experience though it is a close run thing when you compare them hit-for-hit. Cream's writing was arguably more varied though I probably enjoy listening to Jimi more because I prefer Mitch to Ginger.

This was the best of their legacy and the extended solo was the worst of it. Shame that most who followed copied the less interesting aspect.

4. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I saw Jack Bruce play live with Simon Phillips on drums and Blues Saraceno on guitar in a smallish venue -the Grand in Clapham (capacity 1,250) - in the early 90s. The set was mainly comprised of Cream numbers and blues/jamming.

ROCK / Returning to bass: In the Sixties, Jack Bruce helped Cream to

It was one of the most powerful performances I have ever seen. I have a drummer friend who is a big fan of Simon Phillips (but not Cream) and we all went together on the spur of the moment having decided the day before. Tickets were still available on the door, incredibly - such a show would sell out a year in advance and be a scalper's delight in 2020, if it were possible!

My friends both still talk about that show 28 years later. So my vote would be for Jack's vocals/bass. With him there you could close your eyes and be in the Royal Albert Hall in 1968, and I cannot say Baker or Clapton for their part having the same effect with any other musicians. Even if they had got together and brought in someone other than JB.

Interestingly, Jack must have liked the venue, as he returned at least twice in the next year or so, and there are several filmed perfomances made there available (Gary Husband replaces Simon Phillips here):

Paper Wizard, clhboa, Tuco and 11 others like this.
  5. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

My favourite element of Cream is Jack's epic bass playing; but then I'm a bass obsessive.

Of course, the drums, guitar, vocals and songwriting are also top notch! :)

6. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

For me it’s the songwriting and Jack Bruce’s bass playing.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Album art was good! Foil cover Wheels of fire is amazing to look at still.

8. HughMacpherson

HughMacpherson Forum Resident

Every Cream record has Jack Bruce on it.

What was the question again......?? :D

Pete Puma, Crimson Witch and zobalob like this.
  9. virgopunk

virgopunk Forum Resident

For me, it's the song writing of Jack Bruce and Pete Brown. I first heard 'Tales of Brave Ulysses' when I was around 14-15 and it had a massive impact. They could certainly hammer out the Blues but those psychedelic tracks were the ones that typified Cream to me.

10. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

How much better I like their studio material (especially side one of the debut) than their live stuff....

11. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

The songwriting
    Bruce's vocals
    Clapton's guitar/Bruce's bass
    Baker's drumming

In that order.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Pete Puma, NumberEight and zobalob like this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

The aspect of Cream that most stands out to me is the way Clapton's guitar, Bruce's vocals, and Baker's drumming meld together to produce a unified powerhouse. Much better than the Experience.

13. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

The hair.

mbd40, footlooseman, Craig and 2 others like this.
  14. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Especially Clapton's Hendrix perm. What was he thinking? Even Roger Waters mentioned it on one of the Wall songs! !

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  15. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Which aspect of Cream stands out most to you?

How it rises to the top of a bottle of milk, you`d think it would be heavier and sink to the bottom.

Man at C&A, chacha, FAC 287 and 3 others like this.
  16. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Grandiosity

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  17. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Same here and it's not even close for me. (studio over live)

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Love the live stuff, especially the longer improvisations.

recklessczar, Tuco, perplexed and 2 others like this.
  19. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Here's the band I saw on the same tour, in Warsaw:

Borgia likes this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I think that Jack really made the Cream, but EC's guitar tripping was what first got my attention when I heard it initially.
    -Bill

Umbari likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

For me it is the playing of the players.

I find Cream very underwhelming, mainly because, of course just my opinion, I don't really like the majority of their songs. Great players, but for me substandard songs, except for a few real stand outs

Aftermath likes this.
  22. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

I have the opposite view. It was when they got off into that extended 3-way soloing that they were really special. On the shorter tunes, and even the live Sunshines, Bruce was much more restricted and less effective IMO. His instrumental greatness was in creating on the fly, not playing tunes. Likewise, it was when Clapton decided Spoonful, and all that, was immature and indulgent that he became a boring journeyman guitarist.

Tuco and Motorcity supernaut like this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

VERY arguable! Jimi was way ahead of Cream in the songwriting department with far more versatility and variety of tone and lyricism. I mean:
    Little Wing
    Gypsy Eyes
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Bold As Love
    Wind Cries Mary
    Are You Experienced
    1983, A Merman I Should Turn To Be
    Long Hot Summer Night
    House Burning Down
    Machine Gun
    If 6 Was 9
    One Rainy Wish
    Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
    Have You Ever Been To Electric Ladyland
    Castles Made Of Sand
    Rainy Day, Dream Away
    Up From The Skies
    Power Of Soul
    Purple Haze
    Hey Baby

That is why he destroyed Cream (it wasn't just about who could play their instrument better).

To answer the OP, for me, Cream is really about that bubbling fusion/chemistry between the three guys and particularly Eric's playing. I have never been a fan of Jack's melodramatic/operatic vocals.

24. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

The same thing that stands out with Jimi hendrix; a sense of controlled power.

carrick doone and Crimson Witch like this.
  25. Macman

Macman Senior Member

All three of them were great, but hearing Disraeli Gears when it came out was the first time a guitar player truly blew me away.

Crimson Witch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.