Which CD Player has the best sound quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Greenalishi, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

Yeah, and I'm yet to hear about a better combination than in CDP-XA7ES. I don't know all CD players in the world and that's why I said it's possibly the best CD player, but I'm yet to have a better one named. The ultra expensive ones I had been showed in the past outperformed XA7ES only in price and extra (useless) features. Not in the sonics, which is the only thing I care about in a CD player.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    crooner likes this.
  2. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

What I can say is the best CD playback that I have heard was in an all Spectral system. However, I'm willing to bet, that that was more due to the entire package. Another time I heard a $799 Arcam player in a Mark Levinson system and It was very close to the Levinson transport/DAC in the same system. The Arcam CD92T sounded very similar to the Dcs DAC at that time...they used the same DAC which helped with the similarity. I have heard Marantz and SimAudio players that I preferred over McIntosh (although I think digital is one of Mac's strengths). That certainly doesn't mean that the Audio Note or Aesthetix players aren't great in your systems. I would, however, recommend that you listen to the latest Bryston player or DAC in your systems.

I think it is hard to compare the same recording Analog vs Digital. I try to just enjoy them for what they are.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. Takehaniyasubiko

I guess CD players like Burmester 069 come with a set of the mythical golden ears and such a combination gives the listener access to a different plane of existence during CD playback. No wonder one of the ultra expensive brands is called Esoteric - it sure has more to do with esotericism than electroacoustics.

Realistically speaking, you get the best stuff with the flagship Sony CD and SACD players.

4. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

The greatest CD player of all time is obviously the 1992 NEC TurboDuo. And the best CD was the Gates of Thunder soundtrack
    [​IMG]

CBackley, jfeldt, rodentdog and 2 others like this.
  5. We haven't really even discussed the extensive mod scene. I've heard a ModWright Oppo 205 ($4000 or more I believe) that makes CDs sound incredible, as good as any turntable or player I've ever heard.

6. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Okay,

Statements like "I have yet to hear about. . ." make we wonder about what the speaker actually heard, particularly in direct comparison with his favorite.

I have only personally heard a few direct comparisons in my own system and systems of friends that I am very familiar with so I am not inclined to dismiss anything. I am willing to mention a few that I have not heard in familiar systems where the overall system sounded very good, which suggests that the player must be at least holding up its part in the overall sound (the Linn CD12 I heard in a dealer's system). Of the brands mentioned above, I should also mention that I heard a system with a Burmester 069 source and the system sounded very good. I got to hear the Esoteric X01 and the cheapest Esoteric in direct comparison in a familiar system. For whatever reason (system compatibility, personal preference), I actually liked the cheaper Esoteric more (more relaxed and free-flowing sound).

I also think that it is worth noting that even if one particular listener finds a particular model to be the best he has ever heard, and that model is modestly priced, it is a huge leap to suggest that this singular experience PROVES that more expensive models are not justifiable. I will readily concede the possibility of a great fit, in terms of personal taste and system matching, is possible with almost any reasonably high quality component for any given listener. But, I don't see how that has any kind of universal applicability.

scobb likes this.
  7. Takehaniyasubiko

That's where the really nasty questions come into play: how much of that is the actual sound and how much of that is placebo? It's much easier with video because it's more tangible. Discussions about music tend to go south because you can't really see it. That's why people aren't willing to go back to low-res analogue formats for video, but they do it with audio.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Well, my first high end CD player was the double stacked Sony CDP-R1/DAS-R1. Built like a tank. Sound was okay with typical didital artifacts in 1988. My 2nd one was Krell triple stacked ... one of the most beautiful CD drives.

[​IMG]
    Followed by other Krell CD players... the first one sounded very analog like with a warm midrange, but lacked the resolution of the best turntables. I was happy with the sound, when I purchased the dCS Puccini. Great resolution without any digital artifacts, I still hear from standard players, like Sony, Cambridge, Oppo etc. The dCS Vivaldi 2.0 is almost on the same level like the best analog playback. When I play Hi-Rez files over Vivaldi ... it is better than the best turntables in the same price range. I did a comparison with a VPI Titan, Graham Phantom, Lyra Atlas a few months ago.

My favorite CD player right now... emmLabs XDS1 V2. A slightly better CD playback as my dCS Puccini. I haven't found one, which sounds better.... incl. Accuphase, Burmester, Esoteric, MBL, PS Audio etc.

jusbe, jfeldt, dvcarrick and 2 others like this.
  9. "Value is almost impossible to define. Is the Naim CD555's more refined sound worth the $21,650 difference in price between it and the kW DM25? In the highest strata of audiophilia, small incremental sonic improvements seem to cost more as you near the limits of what's possible, or what was previously considered possible. Like other companies playing in the 16-bit, 44.1kHz playground, Naim has probably reached the limits of what's possible with the format."
    Read more at Naim CD555 CD player Page 2

10. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Well it depends what you define as razor sharp.

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

MORE BULL@#$@#.

12. Takehaniyasubiko

Yes, to you people it's ********. To me, 50 000 USD CD players are ******** because there's no justification for that price as far as sonics go.

Stop screaming, BTW.

13. missan

missan Forum Resident

I believe I have to write this again; the very nature of what we hear is subjective, nothing else, will never be. I understand it as some really would like their subjective impressions to be the truth, it wiłl not happen.

rednedtugent and Fishoutofwater like this.
  14. I agree. For me there is nothing that beats Cyrus for cd quality. My ears love it. Many will not agree. As you say, it's all subjective.

Swann36 and timind like this.
  15. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I've owned lots of CD players over many years, currently Cyrus CDi's. They all sounded different to me. The Cyrus wins awards, but I've no idea if it's the best. Over here a big advantage for me is that you can always factory upgrade Cyrus players to the latest spec, usually for a fair price (I think mine were previously a CD 6 and 8). Set a budget and go listen. It's not about the best sounding, but the sound you personally like best in that price range. Two different concepts. You won't go wrong with a Cyrus or a Rega or an Arcam or a Marantz or a whatever other well regarded brand. Which do you prefer ?

Swann36 and Fishoutofwater like this.
  16. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real Thread Starter

Guess i got much more than i bargained for. Never heard of most of these brands. The Krell one is so beautiful. Like a piece of art. I've learned a lot. I'm happy with my C600 Yamaha but will explore as time goes on.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  17. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Its impossible for me to know what anyone else hears so its a circular argument. I would love to hear some of these pricy players though out of curiosity.

18. Takehaniyasubiko

Yeah, that's the gist of it, but when I say that Sony CDPs are the best, I mean that realistically - for people who don't buy 50 000 USD CD players as a habit - they will be the best you can find on the second-hand market nowadays. CDP-XA7ES pushes what the format can do to the limits, IMO. I can't imagine a better sounding CD player (CD, not SACD). Something with more outputs and extra features, build even better? Yeah, there's a market for that, but is it actually better as far as music goes and how many people even care for something with such price tags?

crooner, snowman872 and Dhreview16 like this.
  19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Total justification. TOTAL.

20. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

Not even close. While punks stream and download, decent folks enjoy owning and collecting their beloved music on physical format.

Rob the Comic, Dred, CBackley and 7 others like this.
  21. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

"In another room."? You can move that entire first system into another room and it's going to sound wildly different. How are you going to notice subtle nuanced differences between really good CD players/gear when you're listening in different rooms? Hard enough when switching immediately between sources in the same room without moving a muscle.

TEA FOR ONE and snowman872 like this.
  22. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Fanboys are funny.

D.D.

F1nut likes this.
  23. psychobear85

psychobear85 Active Member

Follow my Blazing Lazers

CBackley and hi_watt like this.
  24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Punks had their own rock, too! Punk Rock! Long Live the punks!!!! :D:D:D

Streaming and downloading are just different forms of sourcing music, "decent" folks do source music from any source they choose.

Nothing bad about any of it. Okay?

Of course MP3's are a different story... :hide:

stereoptic and danielbravo like this.
  25. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

You should include the following great sounding CD players on your list. Some are dedicated Redbook-only players, some are CD/SACD players and others have built-in DAC.

For under $1k

Marantz CD6006
    Rotel CD14

From $1k to $2k
    Marantz SA8005
    Oppo UDP-205
    NuPrime CDP-9
    Naim CD5si

From $2k to $3k
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Primare CD32

From $3k to $4k
    AVM Evolution CD 3.2
    Roksan Blak
    Ayre Acoustics CX-7E
    Pioneer PD-70AE

From $4k to $5k
    Marantz S-11S3
    Parasound Halo CD1
    McIntosh MCD350
    Luxman D-380

From $5k to $7k
    Hegel Mohican
    Metronome Technologie Le Player 2
    McIntosh MCD550
    AVM Evolution CD 5.2
    Marantz SA-10

CBackley, cdgenarian, stenway and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.