which CD player to buy

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rjp, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

If it plays DVDA it should play HDAD. The trick is to play at 192khz right?

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yep, DVDA players can also do HDAD at 192khz.

3. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

On the mistranslations:

These things are both funny and fascinating to me (and Steve is right, of course, that they're doing better than I could going the other way!). Half the time the problems seem to come from a bad translation program, but other times it seems more a problem translating Chinese commercial figures of speech into and English idiom. That business about the fist, for example, sounds like Chinese idiom. Some of this stuff sounds like pure found poetry to me: “'courage the flavor hundred percent'", have beautiful of the voice express with big development, and mix with the type with our company's A10 bile stone to put the match to use the result uncommon." That's better than Charles Bernstein! It's like a flash-portrait of globalization in progress. The deep mind of this dainty tone-fan is amazed!

L.

4. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

I have a denon dcm -65 with hdcd.

Anybody have it?
    Do the newer models sound better than mine?

I'm pretty happy with how the 65 sounds but am wondering if the newer models sound any better?

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Some of these mistranslations remind me of some of the fortune cookies I've received. Some are so funny I wondered if they were intentionally written to sound like misapprehended English.

My favorite was one that tried to declare, I believe, that I was someone committed to progress, but instead read, "You are an individual interested in forward thrust."

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Not all DVD-A players have the chip to decode HDCD. The algorithm to decode HDCD is owned by Microsoft, whereas the technology to decode DVD-A is owned by Meridian. Unless a manufacturer pays both licensing fees, the machine will not decode HDCD and DVD-A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.