Which Chicago album do you stop at?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

IV Chicago at Carnegie Hall. I don't have III.
    So, three out of the first four. There was some real magic on the first two records, and the Carnegie Hall album showed what a great live band the were.

Funny thing is, I checked them out because of the James William Guercio connection. I really love the Blood, Sweat & Tears album he produced. Also a big fan of Madura. When I learned that he had also produced Chicago, I got interested.

gregorya likes this.
  2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Recording engineer Hunberto Gatica won a Grammy for it - "Best Engineered Recording, Non Classical Category".

3. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

True, :agree: and he had some great moments on VII and the nice bookends on X. He was the heart of the band but the light pop direction the band took was distracting after VII in particular.

I really just do not care for the Cetera with Chicago sound after XI. Any real magic was gone. It was eroding from VI to XI but still worth the effort.

Groundhog713 and EdgardV like this.
  4. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I think I have all the vinyl through Chicago 17... and possibly 18. I don't have Live In Japan.
    I tend to listen to the first 2 albums, although do like some of the other albums (like Chicago VI)

5. AudiophilePhil

Erasing their adult contemporary sell out and forgiving them for what they did after the death of Terry Kath, the Kath-year albums alone from "Chicago Transit Authority" to "Chicago XI" (1969-1977) is a helluva great body of work that is good enough as an attestation that they belong to the hall of fame.

6. AudiophilePhil

If ever there is a great talent that is so underrated , it's Terry Kath's talent as guitarist and vocalist. He's the most underrated great guitarists in rock history.

Groundhog713 and pdenny like this.
  7. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Chicago V, and IX.

8. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

XI, which I just played a few days ago. After all these years it's still hard to listen to Terry's vocal on "Little One" without getting a bit misty eyed.

9. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

10. AudiophilePhil

The ones that I really love to keep in my collection are the first 12 albums, from the great debut "Chicago Transit Authority" to the underrated "Hot Streets", the first album they recorded after Terry died.
    The first eleven albums are classics in my opinon because of Terry Kath's presence as guitarist and vocalist.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  11. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Seems like about half of the albums at my local spin shack are Chicago albums.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  12. AudiophilePhil

Did you get the MoFi Chicago VI SACD already? It sounds really good.

Grohlfan likes this.
  13. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

After Cetara left

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  14. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

The one before Chicago Transit Authority.

Duophonic likes this.
  15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I stop where Terry did.

Groundhog713 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  16. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

2 or 3?

17. There are a couple of tracks I like on "Hot Streets" but, really, to me the band kind of died when Terry did. I know they continued to be creative but that was their peak to me.

Groundhog713 and Grant like this.
  18. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

VII though I never owned IV.

19. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

It's out? That is on my list! I wonder if I should track down the mfsl vinyl from years ago. Anybody have thoughts about the best pressing for that format?

20. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

I was just culling my Chicago vinyl last night. Kept the 1st two and the greatest hit package. I haven't listened to the live lps in years, although I kept all the 'innards'. Took up a lot of shelf space for a non-rotation set.

pablo fanques likes this.
  21. AudiophilePhil

There are four tracks that I really like on "Hot Streets" and those are "Hot Streets" (R.Lamm), "Alive Again" (J.Pankow), "No Tell Lover"(L.Loughnane, D.Seraphone,P.Cetera) and "Love Was New" (R.Lamm).

22. AudiophilePhil

"Chicago VI" SACD has been released by MoFi for at least three weeks now. The original MoFi released the half-speed mastered "Chicago Transit Authority" on vinyl decades ago.

23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I really love Terry Kath's vocals and guitar playing, but to be honest, I think the notion that the band revolved around him is really a distorted view. So many people seem to rate Chicago Transit Authority as the best, and for sure it was a showcase for Terry's guitar, but it was largely written by Robert Lamm, with horn charts largely arranged by James Pankow and vocals shared pretty equally by Kath, Lamm and Cetera.

Again, I have nothing but respect for Kath, but I think over the years that his unfortunate demise has led to a revisionist view of the band that lessens the importance of the other members of the band. The rhythm section was amazing, Seraphine was an outstanding drummer, and the horn section was one of the best with a unique and distinctive signature sound. Not a weak link in the bunch.

24. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

Did that pressing get good reviews? Just wondering before I pull the lever on EBay.

25. Brian Frank

Brian Frank Forum Resident

21 - like a couple of the Bill Champlin songs on it. Have Rhino comp for the hits, plus 16 & 17 for the high school memories. Always wondered if the DVD-A versions of II and V are good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.