Which Chicago album do you stop at?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Ditto.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  2. I don't think that those that aren't fans of the later material feel that the band revolved around Kath. He did seem to be the heart and soul of the band to me even though Lamm and others wrote the bulk of the material. I also feel that the band had largely peaked by the time Kath died and while there's interesting stuff on each album after, it seemed to me a matter of diminishing returns.

Groundhog713 and sean4554 like this.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Chicago XI, but I do like the single Stay The Night. Classic song and video.

4. John54

John54 Senior Member

All I have is the first one. I like Color My World though, so I could have bought one with that on it.

5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Yep. I thought it would be Hot Streets for me or that awful one they did with Tom Dowd, but it was after Peter Cetera left. What was the point, really especially with their signature sound fading with each album.

"No Tell Lover" is nice, it really has that classic sound. I remember I first heard it on this odd compilation, If You Leave Me Now and I really thought the song was made a few years earlier than it was.

Grant likes this.
  6. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

CTA through III, VII through XIV, 16 through Twenty 1. Lots of compilations, the Box Set (Group Portrait), GH vol 2, "If You Leave Me Now", GH 82-89, Very Best. I'm done, unless they improve the sound (MoFi, Remasters, or AF). Some, I wouldn't buy again, (13, XIV, Twenty 1).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I stopped at "17". I have everything up to "17" except:

Live at Carnage Hall
    VIII
    XI
    XIV

I do have the first Christmas Album, the original Greatest Hits album (IX), the "Group Portrait" box, and "Only The Beginning" best of CD.

I may pick up XI one day. I used to have it back in the 80s, but just couldn't get into it.

The heart of the band died when he did, although "Hot Streets" wasn't too bad. At least it was produced by Phil Ramone, their engineer on a couple of the earlier albums.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  8. Grant

:biglaugh:

9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

On original vinyl I stopped after Chicago Transit Authority.

However, I bought both DVD-Audio discs and the CTA Quadradisc.

10. Grant

For all of you who did not bother with III, you may want to check out the recent Friday Music remaster of it and give it a chance.

I had never heard or owned the album until a couple of weeks ago, but i'm really digging it.

From reading the majority of posts, i'm thinking you guys just didn't much care for the top 40 hits. Can't win 'em all! I think "Feelin' Stronger Every Day", "Just You & Me", "Stay The Night", and (I've Been) Searchin' So Long" are among their best hits not to mention some of their fantastic big band jazz sides. Maybe you all are looking for harder-edged rock that is on CTA. To each his own.

FWIW, I can't stand the crap they did with David Foster. I know they had to update their sound for the 80s if they wanted to get back on the charts and sell records, but, remember that they were all on board with it, too.

rstamberg likes this.
  11. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I have the first three, 5 and 6, 13, (yeah, I happen to like Street player) and 16 en 17. And a comp called The heart of Chicago, which samples the latter-day hits on WB quite nicely. I'm not sure if I'll never buy another Chicago record. From what I've heard, I think I might like 7 and 8 as well.

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Chicago thread! Good a time as any to post one of my favorite videos. Playing at Caribou Ranch.

13. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

This is probably heresy, but XIV is where I bow out. Most of XIV stinks for me, but I love Thunder and Lightning. I also really, really like Chicago 13 - Street Player is a killer disco tune, and there are a bunch of great album tracks in there. Most notably for me is 'Reruns', the last classic-sounding Robert Lamm song wrote before he slipped in to a cocaine-induced creative funk, which he was never the same songwriter after. I also think Danny Seraphine really shines on 13 - I think he was the only sober one in the band by that point (and pretty much calling the shots, for better or worse) and it shows in his playing.

14. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

I, II and III. That's it, I never went further and probably never plan to. I think III's a bit underrated though personally.

Yes, that remaster happens to sound great IMHO. I wish they would do II and I and replace those God awful 2002/3 Rhino remasters.

Grant likes this.
  15. My most recent Chicago album is Chicago XI, their last before Terry Kath died.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

There is some great stuff on their second album as well .

Grant and Mazzy like this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I really hated listening to "Does Anyone Know What Time it Is" on the radio back in the day. So I really don't care.

18. 4:48AM here on the west coast

Grant likes this.
  19. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

VII was it for me. By then me and all my friends had fallen in love with The Mahavishnu Orchestra.

KLeigh88 likes this.
  20. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

This is my first post folks. Hello everyone. I stopped after getting I, II and III on vinyl. I recently got I and III on cd as they are my 2 favorites. I can dig V and VI at bit, but nothing after that.

905 likes this.
  21. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I have the same reaction to "Little One".
    It still hits me hard ... 36 years after his death.

pablo fanques and AudiophilePhil like this.
  22. Macman

Macman Senior Member

CTA is one of my favourite '60s album, but I've not liked any other I've ever heard by them.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

IV, but honestly probably III.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

WELCOME!

25. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I agree that the Friday Music remaster of III sounds really good. As for the songs, it's not as consistently great as the first two, and it's a little more experimental (there's a spoken-word poem!), but there's a lot of really good stuff there.

Grant and rstamberg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.