Which Classic Records 45RPM's are essential?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

Tax refund time. I thought I would treat myself to some Classic Records 45 RPM issues. I won't be playing them right away, since my turntable broke, but I thought I would pick them up before they went out of print. Which titles have the best sound available? For example, is the Blue Train worth the extra expense, or is the 24/96 DAD better? How about the SACD of Lady In Satin? Better than the Classic 45 RPM? Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

A lot of the "essential" Classic Recs on 45 are now very OOP unless you can snoop down a good source.

I just ordered Bill Evans' 2 45RPMs from Trumpet: Village Vanguard and Waltz For Debby that Kevin and Steve did. A lot of people are really going GA-GA for these, more than many of what Classic Recs did.

Otherwise, I have 4-5 45RPM ClassicRecs that I think anyone should have ALREADY:

1. Miles Davis - KOB * - I DON'T have this one. People still praise it highly!
    2. Miles Davis - Sketches/Spain + <==I remember side 2 being 3 minutes tho!
    3. John Coltrane - Blue Train
    4. Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin +
    5. Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'. + <===This was great!!

+= Highly Recommended IN 45 FORM.

The Fantasy titles Steve and Kevin are doing is a bandwagon I plan on being on for a while. They ARE expensive, but they're rolling them out slllowwwlly. However, they're 180g'ers and double sided. Basically the same amount of music, except ClassicRecs likes to use single sided 45'ers.

Your milage may vary, but the Waltz For Debby is going to be quite awesome. I'm really sad that I have to wait for Miles' "Relaxin" and Monk/Coltrane.

3. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, Sckott. Do you have any of these titles on Classic's DAD's? How does the sound compare?

I'd like to know, because the 45 rpm's are a bigger pain to play (always changing sides) and more expensive than the DAD's. Of course, it's worth it if the sound is better!

4. Sckott

I have these DAD's:

1. Alan Parson's Project - I ROBOT
    2. Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else
    3. John Coltrane - Blue Train.

IMHO, they ALL sound fabulous. I ROBOT kills the MFSL. Now, Adderly, I only have the RVG CD (mono) to compare it to. I'll be getting the (Mono/Stereo LP) comparison set from Trumpet soon, so I'll let you know. I DO own Blue Train in DAD, 45RPM and CD, Reissue CD (sucks) and Manhattan LP 33.3. The DAD comes up on top.

HOWEVER, think about what you want to get, and what you may have too many of (I have too many of Train). I'll say also that the SACD of Sketches almost kills the 45RPM and the KOB on SACD kills my 33.3 classic pressing, by a nose.

Truth being, the SACD or DAD of anything is going to be less expensive, and easier to obtain. Think about it....

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

If you like Classical music get the soon to be re-released SCHEHERAZADE REINER CSO. 4 DISCS AT 45 RPM on 200g before it goes for $400 again. I am affraid you are a bit late (big $$$) for most of the classical music Classic Recs. 45s.

YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH ANY of the Fantasy AP JAZZ done by Steve and Kevin.

You can't go wrong with KOB, Struttin', Blue Train, Something Else, Mingus Ah Um, Time Out, Blues in Orbit, Tapestry, Stardust and Bridge Over T Waters (I know Humorem does not like this but I do).

BC

6. Sckott

I Liked BOTW too. Not bad at all...

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Where is Classic Records' Muddy Waters Folk Singer at 45 RPM????
    I've been waiting for this one for a while.
    If it ever comes you best pre-order!!!!!

BC

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I used to like the 45's of Bridge Over Troubled Water too and used to recommend it, but I remember some here didn't and feel the 33 1/3 version (which I don't have) or an original 360 Sound 1A cutting is better. After some controversy about this one almost a year ago on this forum, I compared it to the Gold CD, the "Tom Special" Dutch pressing LP, the common tracks on the Old Friends box, and a 2nd US pressing from the early 70's. After comparing all these, I wouldn't call it bad, but I found that some of the midrange "character" of this album seems to be Eq'd out of the 45's, leaving behind a less detailed midrange than should be. Another thing I noticed is that voices and some instruments don't have as much "body" as they should and sound thinned out somewhat. Also a somewhat recessed sound, spatially and tonally. Might have had a touch of top end boost, but I don't remember that for sure, so I wouldn't swear to it. Obviously I don't like it the way I once did - it definetly has a "different" sound for this album that I found interesting at first, but after more listening (especially after comparing whatever other versions I had), lost its appeal to me. I'll have to get the 33 1/3 version when it's re-released on 200g, as long as it uses the mastering used for the 180g version, which some feel is the best version ever.

Now the 45's of Sketches of Spain I still like. I don't have an SACD player yet, so obviously I can't compare them myself, but the 45's are nice. A little better than the 33 1/3 Classic (which is fine), better than my original stereo 6-eye, and far better than the current CD IMO.

(Edited again to correct a grammatical error and to reword something for clarification :)).

9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I must admit I have NOT done a direct comparison. I do have the 33 1/3 180g Classic Records, Tom's Dutch Special, several 360 sounds and others. Like Martin, I like what I heard on the 45s, but I could be wrong as far as being the best.

BC

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have Carol King's Tapestry on 45 RPM. I am waiting on the non-multi channel (original mix) to determine which I like best. I have the dual layered CD and the remaster. The remaster is horrible....

Early listening indicates that the 45RPM is the clear winner. But it's been a while so don't quote me on that!

11. Sckott

Tried the SACD of Tapestry? That will kill the 45RPM, IMHO.

12. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I also liked the 45 rpm version over others but again it's just my personal flavor.

If there is one 45s that I could not live without it would be the Dave Bruback "Time Out".

13. Sckott

I paid over $100 for Time Out at 45RPM when it went out of print. The SACD is great, but I think as a true analog freak, I have to totally agree with you.

Trying to find one inexpensively might be taxing though!

14. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.