Which Fixx CDs Did Steve Hoffman Master?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YaQuin, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon Thread Starter

Hello All,

I have been browsing the historical threads trying to find out definitively which Fixx CDs Steve Hoffman mastered. As I understand MCA did not credit the mastering engineer. Here is what I know right now:

Reach The Beach was mastered by Steve.

What about Walkabout, Phantoms and Shuttered Room?

Also why does not the Steve Hoffman Discography contain any Fixx titles for Steve's credit?

Does anyone know the answers to these questions? Thank you.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Reach The Beach. Their best effort, possibly, in their whole career.

3. YaQuin

Sckott, I agree. Although I also really enjoy Shuttered Room. I just purchased a sealed copy of Walkabout on (has the song Secret Separation on it) with the "hidden track". I haven't received it yet, but I'm looking forward to comparing the composition and mastering quality.

4. YaQuin

Zoo...do you know?

5. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

We only know that Reach The Beach was done by Steve...

Although Phantoms (the original release, not the recent remaster) and Walkabout have a similiar sound, so it wouldn't surpise me if it was Steve at the helm there as well.

All three were produced by Rupert Hine and mixed by Steven Tayler, who where at their peak right about then. Nearly anything done by them has that great sound. (Howard Jones, for instance).

BTW, on the Fixx forums, Phantoms is considered to be their best effort (I concur). If you haven't given it a listen, I highly recommend tracking it down (again, the original cd issue).

HZ

6. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I find Walkabout and Phantoms both better than Reach the Beach. I found each subsequent release (after Shuttered Room) was an improvement on the previous (musically and sonically).

7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I've only heard 'Shuttered Room' & 'Reach The Beach' and I love them both. I guess I'll have to give 'Phantoms' and spin after reading some of the above posts. I saw them in Fresno many moons ago with The Police, Oingo Boingo (they were a freakin' gas!), and the Thomson Twins. As expected...it was a WONDERFUL event. :)

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

So did Steve or Kevin have anything to do with the original LPs?
    Dan C

9. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

I should have mentioned this before: The Fixx are still together - just finished a new album, and are touring the US this summer (right now!). The still have their 4 founding members (Cy, Rupert, Jamie, Adam) plus Gary Tibbs - bassist from Roxy Music.

I saw them in Palo Alto about 4 weeks ago - fantastic! Cy's voice is still amazing. After the show my brother and I hung out on the tour bus for awhile... groupies and all! Ahh, the life that rock stars (or ex-stars) lead. :)

HZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.