Which is a Better Turntable, Technics SP-25 or SL-1200 Mk2?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AudiophilePhil, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

This one looks nice.

[​IMG]

2. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

This one is nice too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

The platter weight does not make a difference in this case because they both have the same specs.

Keep the SL-1200MK2, it's badass. THe SL-25 is ugly

sami likes this.
  4. kenrothman

kenrothman Senior Member

go to audiokarma.org and ask for "thedelihaus".

he's an expert on all things technics. his preference is for the sl-25 over the 1200... i believe it accepts a lot of the same tweaks

5. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Woah! Slow down here. What kind of plinth is it in? What kind of tonearm does it come with? Heck, it's possible the tonearm with your SP-25 is worth more than a SL-1200 MkII.

The SP-25 was Technics entry level broadcast turntable, making it a step up from any of their consumer grade tables. These were serious tables. The motor is pretty similar to what was used in the consumer grade SL-1200. How the SP-25 compares to a stock SL-1200 would depend very much on what kind of plinth has been constructed for it, and what kind of tonearm it's being used with.

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's a close call. I would say the SP-25 by a hair.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The SP-25 is the superior turntable in practice. And the TimeStep bearing upgrade, the Power Supply upgrade, and the mat upgrades can be performed on one. And there are more tonearm options you can use, including 12" transcription arms you can do and plinth options the SL-1200 does not have. A win win situation here. And the SP-25 was mainly aimed at broadcast and audiophile use so they were generally better cared for.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  8. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

Yeah you really need to give us more information about the Plinth and Tonearm on that SP-25 before ANYONE can tell you which is better.

Most of the time I would greatly prefer the SP-25 simply because you have more options when it comes to tonearms and plinth's

Have you already gone ahead with this or is there still time?

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

What sort of arm comes with the SP25?

10. williwoods

nothing ugly here.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The SP 25 did not come standard with a tonearm or plinth, you could buy a Technics plinth and or a Technics EPA series tonearm with yours if you desired or buy or build the plinth you wanted and buy the tonearm or tonearms you wanted. It was about choices.

12. contium

contium Forum Resident

SP-25 is ugly? To each is own I guess but I owned one (and a SP-15 too) and a bunch of 1200's (did some DJing) and I always thought 1200s looked and felt like cheap plastic in comparison. I preferred the sound of the SP-25 but I was running a better cart vs DJ carts on the 1200s. Mine looked like:
    [​IMG]

I vote on the SP-25 depending on how its setup.

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Hey guys, the original post was back in 2011. I think the point is probably moot.

Although I've got to say, it was amusing seeing all the 1200 lovers pile in and vote for the 1200 without having any real idea what the SP-25 actually is. And with the cherrywood plinth, it's a drop-dead gorgeous table.

Rundfunk, twinkle and williwoods like this.
  14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I would always take an SP over an SL.

15. jmowbray

jmowbray Forum Resident

I just picked up an SP-25/SH-15B2 plinth combination (just like this one but without the tonearm) and have sent off the platter and bearing to Applied Fidelity for upgrades. Sold my SL-1200 MkII for about what I paid for the SP-25/SH-15B2. As soon as I install my SME 309, I won't be looking back, even for a moment.....

Jack

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My SP-25 has the Audio-Technica ATP 16-T 12" transcription tonearm and a custom plinth. Presently use a Stanton 500A on her. This SP-25 will soon have a second tonearm installed next week, a SME 3009 II Improved. Will be using a Stanton 681 EEE-S II on that tonearm.

Attached Files:

17. williwoods

oh that is funny. You nailed it... I just got all riled up over all the 1200 love over that amazing sp-25 and didn't even see the 2011 date.....

18. speedle

speedle Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more, I hope the OP's brother is happy with his SP-25~!

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Since my comment above just got "liked," I came back to this thread and found myself drooling AGAIN over the pictures of the SP-25s with the cherrywood plinths. That is a seriously beautiful deck. If I ever have a chance to buy one (the magical intersection of money and opportunity), I'm in.

20. Rundfunk

Rundfunk Forum Resident

Please invent a time machine so i can alter history! It is shocking that almost all on the first page recommends the SL-1200 over the sp-25 (Which is the motor unit only, by the way. As a complete package it was called SL-25) - and made the thread starter change his mind! You should be ashamed of yourselves!

The motor unit is basically the same as the SL-1200 but apparently with better dampening and with a better platter. There was also a SP-15 motor with 78 rpm capability. If complete with a plinth and the awesome EPA-500 tonearm with on-the-fly VTA and interchangeable wands http://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/epa-500.shtml it is a VERY capable TT.

"Entry level studio TT" in this case basically means one step below the SL-1000 in terms of cost, but I've compared them both and can with confidence say that I'm a very happy SL-25 owner and user since 2006.

This is a very old thread, and the starter has apparently given up his sp-25 by now. But in the future, please check your facts before you almost unanimously dismiss something that might turn out to be very special.

matthewp and Schoolmaster Bones like this.
  21. Schoolmaster Bones

I have an SP15 (very similar), and my son has an SL1200 (which I set up for him, and used for a while).

The thought of trading with him actually makes me feel a little queasy. Insane idea.

[​IMG]

^ King of the needledrops, IMO.

22. Rundfunk

Rundfunk Forum Resident

Love that DG Stockhausen btw!

23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Lovely SP15 you have there congrats. Which is better? I can't say - I sure love my M5G though.

[​IMG]

24. Schoolmaster Bones

No doubt. Either way, you end up with a great table. Win/win.

25. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member Thread Starter

It has a brand-new looking and glossy Technics SH-15B2 plint specially developed for use with the SP-25 turntable. It's heavy and has outsatnding isolation against vibration.
    The tonearm is a Technics 12 inches in length.
    I decided to keep it because this SP-25 setup is a beauty.
    I used a brand-new Nordost tonearm cable with it.
    I gave the SL-1200 MkII to my brother.

floweringtoilet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.