Which is Best Sounding CD version of J. Tull's This Was

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

We have waxed on extensively about the best sounding Stand Up and Aqualung but I really love Tull's 1st album, so does anyone know the best sound CD version of This Was. For vinyl I'll chose either the EMI 180gm Reissue or an original Island Pink label but every CD I've heard is bad. Anyone have a "magic" version?

2. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

The 180 LP sounds good but have you noticed how they cut the last track short?

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the 180 gram lp too. I think it sounds good. As far as cd, I really don't like any of them much.

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

1. US unremastered CD - drums brighter than they should be, Round was truncated (AFAIK)
    2. The Originals - remastered and NoNoised, but not maximised. Sounds OK. Full version of Round, wonderful mini-vinyl cover replicating UK vinyl - ie no glaring Jethro Tull/This Was on the front cover. I suspect this is the one most people will prefer here
    3. Remaster done by Peter Mew - good tapes (and here is where I think that the MoFi Stand Up fails), but equalised and NoNoised. Lots more bottom end, but top end not as bright as the original US CD. I still like it because it sounds like I would have liked it to have been recorded (this is why I like the Virgin Bowies over the Rykos.) It is nothing like the vinyl however. The cover, like Stand Up and Benefit, was poorly thought out and badly reproduced.
    IMHO, buy the originals set and house the Mew version inside. :bigeek:
    For non-revisionists, The Originals set - happy hunting for that however.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like the mofi Stand UP!!

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Oh yea, The UD1's a Killer!

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Have a listen to the very start of "A New Day Yesterday" for the tape fault on the MoFi. Not present on the remaster. Otherwise, the hiss levels sound very similar to my memory of an Island UK sunray pressing which I loved in a past life.
    I just had another listen to The Originals - it's mega-NoNoised compared with the remaster. No tape hiss at all and breathing artifacts, whereas the Mew remaster sounds very good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.