Which is rarer? Winning lottery ticket or working tape deck?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by subzro, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Fourteen tape decks, Fourteen repair bills

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I love my Dragon. It can make an old prerecorded cassette sound amazing not to mention how great a home recorded tape can sound. A few years ago Willy Herman did a tune up for me and said I was good to go for another 20 years. I was looking at the new cassette deck that the link above showed. $4500.00 new. For a lot less money someone could buy a Dragon and have Willy do a rebuild on it and have an iconic cassette deck.

Raylinds likes this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My Nakamichi CR1a is from around 1990, and I bought it used around 1998. I rarely use it anymore, but it has never not worked.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Having a working cassette deck IS winning the lottery.

5. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

6. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I wish I could still buy a box of 10 TDK SA-X 90s for $24.99. :(

ssmith3046 likes this.
  7. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

What did he charge you for that?
    I've tried talking to him; I used to work in Orinda
    Nice fella but will not let anything go parts wise, even to someone that's NOT in competition with him
    And, he only wants to work on a handful of machines (at least that's what he conveyed to me)
    Had one of these on my bench not to long ago; tried to talk to him about this machine (I needed some literature) and I thought his head would explode!:

8. Scotch1945

Scotch1945 Member

I have seen this problem with cassette deck purchases on an another audio forum with a mix of European and US members.
    I have bought around a dozen cassette or r to r tape decks via an auction site, mainly from the UK, Germany & Netherlands and have only had a couple or three that needed attention.
    However, one Nakamichi did come, seized-up in a dog duvet, from sheep country in Northern England.
    Reading feedback of vendors carefully, has mostly ensured things had a satisfactory outcome here for me.
    Reading between the lines, it would appear that you guys in the US have inherited a disproportionally large number of dodgy vendors/entrepreneurs, spawned by my own and other's European forefathers who were bold enough, or forced hard enough, to emigrate and become prospectors and snake oil salesman. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.