Which is the best Dual and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That's the part I had to order from Canada.

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Same here, with the 1220-something (the same as Elvis Presley's turntable on the cover of Annie Leibovitz' American Music). It was "restored," but the arm would skip as I walked back to my chair.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Is his nickname "Booey" or something like that?

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a Dual 1219 collecting dust. Sounded great when I used it last. The 'auto' part is a little messed up since I moved it without it being locked down. I don't have a good cart for it anymore and I had to order a new (used) headshell because the little black 'clip' that hold the wires in place into the headshell broke off. The one I bought had it glued on, don't know if this was after market or what Dual decided to do. I had it for sale here for local pickup in the Charlotte area, but nobody wanted it. One day I might fix it. This Dual got me back into vinyl about 5 years ago.

Pat

5. Toka

Toka Active Member

Its 'bohhey'. :thumbsup: "Booey" is the guy Howard Stern yells at every day...

6. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Got mine repaired quite a few years ago by a guy in Seattle. I might have posted about it on here...need to check. He seemed to have some parts for them that he claimed were difficult to get.

7. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Ah the Dual! I have fond memories of the CS505!

JG

Attached Files:

Shak Cohen likes this.
  8. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

My old 505 and 503 were bloody awful, terrible build, pain to
    change carts, yet they sold by the bucket load, in hindsight I would have
    got a P2.
    It's put me off them in general.

9. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

:shake:

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I know this is an old thread but I'm a new member and I have to put my two cents in. I bought a Dual 701 with a Shure V-15 III from Bill "bohhey" Neuman a few months ago and it's a fantastic turntable. It came with an Ed Saunders stylus which I later replaced with a Jico SAS stylus. The 701 is the only Dual I have owned but I think it's a winner.

MisterNines and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

This may well be regarded as heresy, but I think Duals are over-rated, and my experience in repairing them has involved way more time per unit than any other brand of turntable (except, perhaps, Bang & Olufson). They're not bad when they're converted to manual use only, but their automatic mechanisms are over-complicated and would even frustrate Rube Goldberg.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I don't think they are overrated here in Europe, where the classic Dual models (not the plasticky ones from the 1990s) are regarded as solid entry-level turntables, no more and no less. They are no match for a Thorens TD14x/16x.

13. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I like my 506-1 in my second setup.

14. Metalcreature

Metalcreature Forum Resident

I have a 1228 that has never been lubed as of yet, and still runs like a dream. I payed 4 dollars for it at a Thrift last year and its served me well. However, i had a 505-2 and i hated that model for various reasons.

15. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

THIS.

My 5000 sits gathering dust in a closet for this reason alone. Turned me off to automatics permanently.

16. Metalcreature

Metalcreature Forum Resident

Oops. I meant 506-2. I never had the 505.

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Dual

Not sure what all the negative posts are all about.

I've owned 4 vintage Duals, all from the 1970s and they were ALL great, great tables that all sounded wonderful. Dual really knew how to make tables.

I currently use a Dual 510 with a Denon Dl-160 for "challenged" Lps and 45s and it works perfectly in that role. It will never take the place of a Rega P3, but I believe the 70s Duals, reconditioned, are better sounding than the bottom/entry level tables of today.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

my 606 with the ULM thingy is a nice TT that will play those Classic Records (you know which one). Not super hi-fi but pleasant sounding.

19. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

http://www.theturntablefactory.com/

waaguirr likes this.
  20. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I have had one for years with no tracking problems.

MisterNines likes this.
  21. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Enjoyed a 1019 for years.

22. GMav

GMav Senior Member

My system in the later 70's consisted of a

Yamaha CA-2010
    Dual 701 (with Shure VR-15)
    Technics Tuner (can't remember the model)
    Pioneer RT-707
    Akai GXC-570D cassette Deck
    JBL L-100 speakers

Loved it. The 701 was a great table. A classic.

Someone broke into the house during the day in the summer of 1978 and stole everything but the speakers.

I DIDN'T love that.

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

What a shame. I had a similar burglary experience but did not lose as much. It was terrible when I was just a college student living off campus but had some relatively expensive audio equipments at the time ...

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have only owned 2 DUAL TT's over the past 30 years and both are still operating fine. CS-721 and CS-750, a DD and a belt-drive.

25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

My 701 has seen more vinyl grooes than any other table on his planet and the revolutions combined probably amount to one time around the planet. 44.100 Kilometer. Just joking. But a VW beetle that runs 1. million KM is not so rare as well. Volkswagen shied away from giving everyone with 1 million the same engine a prize..LOL
    Saame for this DUAL Direct Drive. Belts will break. the Direct Drive runs not very strong but once at the right tempo it stays on point at 0,03 - the automatic needs 2 parts, that have to be changed every 25 years or so... "Steuer Pimpel" they are called- 2 small plastic parts that lift the automatic at the right spot. If they are missing or too flat from use the automatic stops working. Me , I am happy with my TA returning after a normal LP is played, but this can also only work if the LP is cut accordingly. The groove must have a kind of stop/turn over mark - if that is missing no automatic will work, unless regulated by optical signals and that will fail after a few years . So whre is the prob ? You can use any DUAL like a normal tt any day. The motor starts running once the tonearm got lifted, I did that all the time, even when the automatic was spot on. This function was only used when tin bed back in the LP only days...

MisterNines likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.