Which Led Zeppelin live show(s) will Jimmy Page release in 2018?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Trawling Royal Orleans.com to see what rumours there were about a live release, I came across an old thread about this. It was an interview with Kevin Shirley where iirc he said that Page was warned in 2003 that the tapes were beginning to deteriorate & thus, started transferring to digital. I find it inconceivable the Japan tapes weren't digitised then.

Doubt there'll be much movement except teasers over the early summer: my guess is stuff will be timed to coincide with the first rehearsal (August) and first gig (Sept). Page is into astrology & the significance of numbers / dates etc, so I bet there'll be a flurry of stuff then.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  2. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I agree. He probably made the comment in jest and people ran with it. I subscribe to “Tight But Loose” and I am friends with Dave Lewis on Facebook. I do not recall him ever bringing it up in “Tight But Loose” or mentioning it on Facebook.

eddiel likes this.
  3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Nailed it. That’s why Robert was crying at the Kennedy Center Honors.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I doubt Plant is unhappy with his life. Life has bad moments and good moments and even if you would like to change those bad moments it doesn't mean you can't be happy with where you are now. To me, he appears to be someone who's quite content. If he had a time machine he'd probably not have gotten into that car in 75, made sure he was home a lot more often and maybe hoped to have helped Bonham too. But I don't think he'd want to not ever be in Led Zeppelin.

Clearly there's some awful memories for him and of course, this anniversary is going to bring those up.

But if he's in the right mood he can look past the negative as he's done it in the past, both publicly and privately. The 50th would probably make it harder for him though.

5. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yeah, I would agree, Eddie, with the caveat that Robert is happier the more he distances himself from Led Zeppelin. Kind of the opposite of Jimmy Page, it seems:laugh:

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The complete SBD Stairway from Osaka 29/9/71 is up on youtube:

UMO, snkcube, shepherdfan and 7 others like this.
  7. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Half of Plant's live show is Zep, so he isn't that burned out on it.

wpjs and marcb like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It also depends what kind of mood he is in (sometimes he is very complimentary about the band, its music and legacy). It wasn't as if he offered an in-depth analysis about the band and its music. He just stated that the Bonham family lost a family member and that he lost a friend, and that they will continue to be reminded of that fact. He also points out that he is sure some great things will come out of the celebration. And yes, anyone familiar with Plant's interview style will know he was making a joke about the "free copy."

eddiel likes this.
  9. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

10. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

Southampton 73

Frittenköter and steveharris like this.
  11. Adam Ryan Watson.

One with a proper balanced true stereo mix like the greatful dead betty boards. Zeppelin boards are just recordings of the p.a feed and despite evsd calling them stereo boards they are just a mono feed recorded to 2 tracks. Although there is some stereo panning during during the bow solos and therimin sections

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  12. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

which has a certain probability of being the one.

13. Adam Ryan Watson.

I
    Its probably very hard to separate zeppelin from thoughts of losing his son. I think the fact that he was on the road doing a tour he did not want to do in the first place when his son died is very hard to live with.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  14. Adam Ryan Watson.

Hopefully he is not referring to the tiny audience at Southampton that would be bad. I would love to think it's one of the club shows from the spring of 71 . Thoose shows must have been amazing. A zeppelin live at the marquee would be unreal. Despite the poor quality the 2 Irish shows from marxh 71 ate dynamite especially plants vocals.

15. Daniel Falaschi

For the 100. time, Page has already said THERE ARE NO PLANS TO RELEASE THE JAPAN 71 TAPES FOR NOW.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  16. Adam Ryan Watson.

It would be very attractive to page as a lot of work was done on it back in. 2002. Although page liked to have alternate shows so he could edit in fixed especially on vocals. It does fit the description for being very different from the other live releases. A career spanning live set could fit that description too. Southampton would extremely dissapoint me.

steveharris likes this.
  17. Adam Ryan Watson.

Yeah I would not expect that one untill at least 2021 when the copywrite expires. I wonder if it will be one of the releases in the series to come out over the next 10 years but i won't count those chickens untill they hatch.

18. Daniel Falaschi

Rumours say it will be a studio/live 68 release.

But the chronological album sounds possible as well.

19. Adam Ryan Watson.

And wanting to make sure their families receive the money after they are gone is probably a consideration as well

20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have no idea as to the answer and have not voted. I have my own wish list but the answer I would have voted for is none. Sorry just a cynical old curmudgeon.
    I like/love all the tours and different eras - anything from 69 to 77 would be great.
    I have plenty of 80 boots and Knebworth was ok but not a real fave.

21. Adam Ryan Watson.

There are outtakes but he went with a live shoe instead. For some reason he felt the live show was a better option. The outtakes are very good.

22. Adam Ryan Watson.

Then sugar mamma from the zeppelin one sessions showed up on the coda reissue a couple of years ago. There are alternate versions thst circulate on bootlegs .

23. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

That`s really what I`m afraid of!68 Stuff would be cool.I was just listening to some of those`71 soundboards from Virginia and someplace.They are not the worst sounding recordings.I would rather have some kind of chronological compilation of the best performances than a mediocre multitrack.

24. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I would be happy with both (perhaps we might get both?), but I really want the the Studio/live '68! I so have my fingers crossed that that is what is released this Fall.

I mean 1968 (1968!!!) live Zeppelin in pro-sound quality is, for me, holy grail type stuff! Right up there with Bath '70, Japan '71, any unreleased '69 soundboard that might exist, etc.

The studio half might be more or less filler (IMO, Kinda like how it was on the Yardbirds '68 release). Especially if it consists of stuff that has already been bootlegged (the 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' outtakes, etc). However, it also has the potential to pretty fantastic......'Dazed and Confused' Take 3, 'Communication Breakdown' take 1, studio versions of 'Train' and 'As Long As I Have You', something from the rumored to have been recorded first rehearsal, etc, etc. Any of that would be absolutely fascinating to hear if it does indeed exist and is released.

Rockin' Robby and steveharris like this.
  25. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

I bet that it will be tapes from 68. Its the thing that makes most sense, somewhere along the lines of: "To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the band, Led Zeppelin is releasing the first live recordings of the band as well as an alternate version of their groundbreaking first album". Of course that press release could also highlight that this is the first instalment in a new series and there are more releases to follow. The press release/50th anniversary could also coincide with the exhibition (?) "Led Zeppelin Experience" being made public. That would generate a lot of interest and also keep the audience guessing and interested going forward.

Most major acts from 60s are releasing 50th anniversary sets this year (to secure and protect copyright); White album is coming, just like Waiting for the Sun and Music from Big Pink, The Who just released Fillmore 68. Last year we had Sunshine Tomorrow and Sgt Pepper and, of course, Yardbirds 68.

A chronological live album or a stand alone release from the well known multitrack concerts does not, to my mind, make the same commercial/artistic sense. A chronological live album feels like the end, and from Page's comments (alluding to more releases during the next few years) and given the copyright question, I doubt that a live anthology would do unless its "The complete Led Zeppelin live recordings". And a stand alone release of Southampton, Osaka or Earl's Court doesn't make sense from a 50th Anniversary perspective.

All speculation of course.

jay.dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.