Which Led Zeppelin live show(s) will Jimmy Page release in 2018?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I guess maybe the biggest question for me right now is how much will be released before 2018 ends.Simply put -THIS YEAR- small output or LARGE Output?:tsk:
    This is it for me.I don`t care about two or three years from now.:thumbsdow

2. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Didn't Jimmy say in an interview that it will be a long term endeavor? I suppose it could go up to 10 years. So, something from 1968 this year, 1969 next year, 1970 in 2020, etc. If that's the case, at least the best stuff will come out the soonest within the next 5 years.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if there is a live compilation box set thrown in sooner than later.

Rockin' Robby and steveharris like this.
  3. steveharris

You have to love those bands that actually satisfy their fans and put out massive amounts of great archive material at once.Grateful Dead,Dylan,Metallica,Floyd to name a few.
    But Ten years?:yikes:
    Make whiney unrelaistic people such as myself happy by unleashing everything at once!:D
    It can always be broken down and reissued later.

footlooseman likes this.
  4. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I guess technically it would be 12 years! :laugh:

I hear what you're saying, though.

steveharris likes this.
  5. steveharris

It could be in dog years for all we know!:doh:If it`s going to be years it might as well be.:sigh::laugh:

6. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I can understand them wanting to spread out the good stuff (IMO 1968-1973) in order to maximize profit and not saturate the market. After that though, just get it over with and release the rest at once.

steveharris likes this.
  7. steveharris

They can always come up with Hi Res or surround mixes over the next hundred years.
    Just give me live audio.I`m not even thrilled about 5.1 or visual live stuff.
    Off I go to Chipolte for a bowl,then time to water the barren wasteland that is my backyard!(with Zep blasting through the windows!):righton:

8. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

It all comes down to 50 year copyright extensions and if that's the end game, then yes we will have to wait until 2020 for 1970 or 2025 for 1975 etc. A live comp is always possible at anytime and that might be the sampler of what's to come.

9. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Five bands, five totally different situations with regards to archiving their history as it was being lived.

The Dead? Yeah, The Dead has made so much available I wish I liked them. I don't.

Metallica? I couldn't possibly care less.

Dylan? I like the early Bob very much, and no complaints about what's come out.

Floyd? Did The Early Years really satisfy most fans? I'd love a live Animals tour comp, 'cos it's the best playing they ever did.

Zeppelin was really haphazard about recording shows, too cheap, and too busy partying too much after a certain point. The whole Zep organization was very dysfunctional in the second half of the band's life. We'll be lucky to get anything truly unexpected or surprising.

I agree with unleashing as much as possible as soon as possible. 10 years is ridiculous.

10. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

IMO, I think the Pink Floyd 'Early Years' release was kinda a disappointment, at least it was to me. Not enough new material, and way to expensive for a bunch of music that had mostly already been booted/heard by fans. The Stockholm '67 show was a nice exception.

At least with Zeppelin, there is the possibility of material none of us have heard or seen before.....1968 soundboard, Central Park 1969 video, Bath 1970 multi-track, Japan 1971 multi-track, 1970-1972 Montreux Jazz Festival videos, etc, etc. If we get even one or two of those, it will be a major win!

footlooseman and steveharris like this.
  11. steveharris

Of course they are different bands and all.I would like an animals comp too.The point was they opened their archives and in many cases listened to their fans.There are other examples too.
    The way I see it If there is plenty of Zeppelin stuff somehow, this will be a big deal to me.If it`s like one or two discs I won`t really care too much:thumbsdow(I`m sure others will).Either way it is what is.
    It`s fine if anybody has their own views on things,but that`s mine.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  12. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Any of those would leave me overjoyed. Especially the first two!

jdlaw and steveharris like this.
  13. Smackswell

Smackswell Kossoff & Ralphs LA 76

There was a time when you couldn't stand the wait before a bands next release and so welcomed the opportunity to get yer hands on a live recording/bootleg. Having spent too much over the years on various Zep boots the interwebbie opened the door to numerous sites where any number of concerts were/are available in lossy/lossless formats. Never as good as the real thing, but......

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

But you’re not saying it with certainty...that’s the point I was making.

15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

You miss the point, which is that there may not be sufficient material for Zeppelin to release lots of different things over a long period of time. Jimmy could be sitting on a whole bunch of stuff, or not much. Of course, it's his baby, he knows what's there, and he's not giving anything away. On the other end of the spectrum, there's The Grateful Dead, who could release multi-disc sets from every tour they did with Jerry for what seems like decades to come.

As far as any of these guys "listening to their fans," it's more like them seeing an opportunity to monetize some old tapes without having to do a whole lot of heavy lifting themselves, though there might be an element of pleasing longtime fans somewhere in there. Jimmy gets criticized a lot -- some of it is fair, some not -- but when Yardbirds '68 came out, I couldn't believe how good it was. With the release of The Who at Fillmore East '68, it would be amazing to have anything from Zep so early in their career, and all three coming out in a 12-month period. But we'll see, probably pretty soon.

16. steveharris

You completely miss my point.You know what nevermind.

17. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Can't be true...a TSRTS reissue? :doh::doh::doh:
    THIS is tbe 50th anniversary live album?
    :(:realmad::confused::eek::mad::realmad::eek::eek::confused::eek::confused::realmad::realmad::eek::eek::confused::realmad::eek::eek::confused::confused::eek::confused::eek::eek::eek::confused::eek::eek::confused::realmad::confused::eek:

18. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

And the crappy version of TSRTS probably.

footlooseman likes this.
  19. PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin Forum Resident

This the last of the reissue campaign it's not part of the 50th anniversary.

20. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

He’s squeezed all 29 mins of dazed and confused on 1 side ?
    Or are we getting the original version back on vinyl
    At least it’s not split over two sides like the last reissue
    I’m happy with my original vinyl , remaster cd and the 2 set dvd

21. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Please excuse me if this has been posted already but I talked to a friend today that has a mind boggling Led Zeppelin bootleg collection .

He told me he talked to someone that is in a position to know and that one thing that might be released is a Zeppelin show from 1968.

He mentioned that it has never been bootlegged and he might have said its a show that most people aren't aware was even recorded.That part I can't remember for sure.

I'm not in the loop regarding what shows are known about or not , but I thought I'd pass the info along .

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There is definitely an ongoing rumor that a 1968 live tape is going to be issued as part of the 50th anniversary in 2018. The problem is the timing of this massive TSRTS box set — from a retail perspective, does it leave the door open for another major audio release at the end of the year, just a couple months after TSRTS?

23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I have no idea but the person my friend talked to is in a position to know and my friend is a major collector who wouldn't have mentioned it unless he thought it was actually in the works.

Make of it what you will.
    I don't know much about which Zeppelin shows are known to be recorded etc., so I just thought I'd pass along the info here for the people that do. :D

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  24. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

A '68 show...very cool! Last I knew there was only one '68 gig available on bootleg. A decent audience recording from Washington.

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Correct, Spokane, December 30 '68 (I think that's the date). Not a bad show or recording for its age.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.