Which Led Zeppelin live show(s) will Jimmy Page release in 2018?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

That`s something I would like included- a full half hour Moby Dick version from Madison Square Garden multitracks!

2. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

As long as it isn't way over priced, $100-$150 sounds reasonable, maybe even add some unseen video that must be in a vault somewhere.

steveharris likes this.
  3. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Yes, release it as an advance iTunes single to build up buzz.

4. steveharris

Well there are no limits how to package this stuff.Do seperate boxes,a 2 or 3 cd version a vinyl issue ect.
    A seperate HTWWW,TSRTS,Earl`s Court,Japan`71

I know a Moby Dick album wouldn`t exactly be a best seller!:laugh:
    But it can easily be placed at the end of a disc where it can be easily skipped.

Rockstar2112 likes this.
  5. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

For copyright extension reasons, I think he'll be focusing on New Yardbirds/LZ recordings from 1968 this year. The rest can wait.

BDC, coniferouspine, J_D__ and 2 others like this.
  6. ribonucleic

If he actually releases it under the "New Yardbirds" name, I'll take back every critical thing I ever said about him. :D

Crimson Witch likes this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i guess i am just not THAT big of a led zeppelin fan, i just do not need 10 different versions of 'stairway', nor do i really want them.

i love CSN(Y), but i do not ever want another live version of 'wooden ships', or 'for what its worth". i probably have each of those 5 times already.

8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I was at that show, to own an official recording of it would be beyond a dream....:cool:

9. ribonucleic

Just to better inform my speculation...

1) I assume Plant has to sign off on whatever is proposed?

2) If so, is he likely to veto any date past his vocal decline?

10. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

Good question, I don't know what arrangement Page, Plant, Jones & Bonham's estate have regarding unreleased archive material. I would expect that Jimmy probably has final say over anything that he would have in his possession.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm thinking Japan '71 with a niggling feeling about Earl's Court

Surferghost likes this.
  12. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

Well, not necessarily. There has been mention of previously unreleased material by Page. That doesn’t necessarily equate to live material. Hopefully it does, but it’s not confirmed.

And I don’t think anyone has confirmed to be working on anything. Some guy mentioned mastering something in a tweet which was quickly deleted. And I believe Kevin Shirley has specifically denied working on anything recently.

So I would suggest tempering expectations until anything is confirmed.

13. steveharris

It`s funny some people I talked to still are thinking some kind of reunion thing is in the works.
    I don`t mean to take away their hopes but even it it were true I`d still rather have some live audio Zeppelin!
    Could just be a 50th commemerative bobblehead line but I`m firmly setting my sites on some kind of live album.
    We can start ten threads complaining once my hopes are shattered for good!

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Correct, and the timing of it (Page cuts out as Plant begins singing and comes back in just in time for the first verse punchline) makes for a cool effect. Still, I would agree with Ribonucleic to a point that the 21/6/77 show is a bit overrated (as much as I hate that term). IMO it's Bonham's monster playing that makes the show special, making up for his poor showing in San Diego two days earlier.
    I am hoping yer referring to the April 28 show and not the April 27 Destroyer show. IMO April 28 is the most technically well played show of the tour that we know of, and that includes the L.A. shows- all of which have their share of mistakes, sloppy playing etc. April 28 is about the only '77 show I can listen to and not cringe or shake my head laughing at Jimmy's sloppy playing at least once. Mind ya, that's based on the audience recording, as good as that is, I'm sure if a soundboard ever appeared the imperfections would become that much more apparent...
    I do believe Plant and Jones still have to sign off on anything Zep related. Robert has mellowed in his old age a lot but he still has veto power. That's why we'd never see an official release of something like the Seattle '77 video, his voice is too rough.

15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Yes mate
    It's the April 28 show!

I picked up those 10 concerts because they're truly great performances, and we still don't have worth sounding versions

:wave:

ohnothimagen likes this.
  16. ribonucleic

The more I think about this, the more I think that Earl’s Court would be at least the record company’s first choice.

They don’t want to market this just to fans. (Who. as has been pointed out, already have a bootleg.) They want to market it to all the Boomers who may see it at the checkout in Whole Foods.

To do that, they need an angle. A 1969 Fillmore show would have an angle - i.e. “The Birth Of The Legend!” And the performances were great, of course. But it doesn’t have the Led Zeppelin IV songs. So no good.

1973 shows don't have an angle. "The best recorded show!" "Just before Plant's voice went downhill!"

Earl's Court has an angle. The end of the tour that clinched their status as The Biggest Band In The World. Like the bootleg says: "When We Were Kings"

Page would have several evenings to pick and choose from. There's also pro shot video for the bonus DVD.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Whatever happened with this project

Jazz Montreux Festival plans 1.2PB archive for 40 years of music ( - Storage )

Forty years worth of performances at Europe's most prestigious jazz festival will soon be stored in a digital archive that will be shared through with students and in cafs around the world.

The EPFL, a Swiss technology institute, has partnered with Jazz Montreux Festival to built a clustered storage array that, when completed, will have 1.2 petabytes of capacity.

The object-based online archive will keep 10,000-plus hours of recordings on disk drives from previous years' shows. They include performances by Weather Report, The Fourth Way, Nina Simone, Jan Garbarek, and Ella Fitzgerald and even Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

We do know that they were at least taped. For ages there've been rumors about pro shot footage as well

:wave:

bobcat likes this.
  18. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

Yes, those 1969 Fillmore West shows would be really nice!!

Rockin' Robby and Blue Note like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

:biglaugh:

20. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

He's going to release 1968 studio stuff plus some live 1968 material that none of you saw coming.

ODShowtime likes this.
  21. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I didn't vote for what I *WANTED*, but rather what I *THINK* he'll release. So sadly, I chose an expanded HTWWW and "something else."

I just have this nagging feeling we're going to be disappointed again. Please prove me wrong, Jimmy.

22. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Mythgem Ltd is a company with the following directors John Baldwin (100 issued shares), Robert Anthony Plant (100 issued shares), Patricia Bonham (50 issued shares) and James Patrick Page (100 issued shares). Zoe and Jason Bonham holds 25 issued shares respectively. Some of the memorabilia in the deluxe boxes is owned by Mythgem Ltd.

I have no deeper insights into the business set up of Zeppelin, but I wouldn't be surprised if Zep's set up is less complicated than that of Promotone B.V.(the company that owns the recordings of Rolling Stones). There is probably a shareholders agreement governing the dealings of all jointly owned Zep companies, but I would be very surprised if the most important business decisions does not require unanimity.

Zep publishing is rather tricky. Superhype Music was the publishing company for I and did not make any further appearances until IV. II and III were originally handled by Warner Bros. IV was published by Kinney Music Ltd and Superhype while Houses was published by Warner Music and Superhype. On Physical Joaneline Music Inc turns up, coinciding with Swan Song, and then Presence, In Through The Out Door and Coda were/are published by Flames Of Albion Music. The original Superhype had the same address as Mythgem Ltd, just like Flames of Albion Music and the still active Superhype Tapes Ltd.

Jimmy Page is the director of twelve UK companies, John Paul Jones is director of six UK companies and Robert Plant nine UK companies, all registered on 91 Tabernacle Street in London.

But this has of course nothing to do with the upcoming releases apart from that there are a lot of companies involved and some paperwork to sort out after the decision on what to release.

23. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Don't worry good doctor. You will be pleased.

24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I hope so!

25. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Hope you both are correct! Assuming it is non-bootleged material, studio sessions from the first album combined with 1968 live recordings would be a dream come true type release!

Rockin' Robby and sekaer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.