Which Led Zeppelin live show(s) will Jimmy Page release in 2018?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

JP has been able to keep the identity of this live album under wraps very well. :eek::confused:

2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Maybe too well!

Mark J likes this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

;)Speculation from fanasty land:
    Maybe he`s been trading Osaka snippets for some of his stolen master tapes back.Jimmy is compiling soundboards for a chronological overview from every tour 69-80 using today`s technology to edit major imperfections and patch in notes.Along with a standalone Japan`71 set on vinyl.
    :unhunh:Nah,I know not likely.I still can`t help imagining......
    The Paris`69 concert companion disc has been a lot of fun to listen to though.
    Something crazy like;
    Fillmore `69
    New York `70
    Denmark`71
    Tokyo/Osaka`71
    Montreax `70`71`72
    Paris`73
    Seattle`75/Wanton & Levee-Brussels`75
    LA Forum`77
    Zurich`80/Whole Lotta Love-Berlin`80

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Unfortunately I'd expect a Japan release to edit out all of the humorous banter by Plant and the band during these shows- "Mr Bonham!"...

5. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Could you find out where you read this and share?

6. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

7. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

There’s nothing new with Plants quotes there. He’s never looked back with rose tinted glasses - it clearly wasn’t all sweetness and light. I do t think too much should be read into the comment about getting a free copy...that was clearly a joke.

FourWalledWorld and ohnothimagen like this.
  8. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

This month‘s MOJO mag.

pablorkcz likes this.
  9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

If anything, those comments of Plant's only reconfirm to me that when it comes to looking back on Led Zeppelin, for Robert Plant the bad outweighs the good. I can't really blame him, frankly. Hell, I almost get the feeling that if Robert Plant had access to a time machine he'd use it just go back to 1968 and tell Jimmy Page "Thanks, but no thanks." He might not have ended up as successful as he did with Zeppelin but the poor bastard might have been a bit happier in his life- especially after 38 years of "And what about Led Zeppelin, Robert? To hell with yer new solo album, we want to hear about mudsharks!":rolleyes: Tribute to Ahmet Ertegun or not, I'm surprised Plant rolled over for one night back in '07 to do the Celebration Day show. I think memories of Zeppelin can take Plant to a place mentally and emotionally he'd rather not revisit- at all.

snkcube, DME1061, mdm08033 and 2 others like this.
  10. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I think you are pretty much correct. I don't think that he would completely change history to the extent of not joining LZ, but i do think in retrospect, he would have walked away circa 1975 completely, and knocked it on the head. He does seem to think a lot of bad karma came his/their way as a result of their success and excess (not just the silly selling their souls to the devil for success nonsense) and he was very open that he did not share everyone else's euphoria after the O2 concert. He quietly slipped out the back door just after the end of the show and went off on his own to a curry house in Chalk Farm lost in thoughts of sadness and loss for his friend Bonzo. That clearly is what LZ primarily represents to him, and it is not something he wants to dwell on or be immersed in ever again.

snkcube, DME1061, The Hermit and 2 others like this.
  11. brownsound2112

Not to mention that his solo career goes from strength to strength and that the 2 records that came out of his tenure with Page in the mid ‘90’s are arguably the weakest of his post Zep output...

zphage likes this.
  12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Link for the robert plant interview where he was so open...

13. brownsound2112

It’s this months Mojo magazine...

Kassonica likes this.
  14. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

brownsound2112 likes this.
  15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Like I said, can't say that I blame him. Even aside from losing Bonham, I bet rarely a day goes by when Robert Plant doesn't muse to himself, "Had I not been out on the road at the time, Karac might still be alive." That's a hell of a cross to bear.
    Damn good point, Brownsound. Robert Plant's solo career proved more or less right from the get go that he didn't need Led Zeppelin. Even if Page would be loathe to admit it, Robert's solo success must have stuck in Jimmy's craw big time.

16. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

That's typical English dry (like a Martini in the Sahara dry!) humor... Plant says these things and Americans don't know if he's being serious or not :D, it was ever thus!

I would say that Plant looks at the first seven years of Zeppelin - up to and including the Earl's Court shows - as a wonderful time of innocence, discovery, and unbridled creativity (not to mention debauchery) that set the bar for every rock band that came after.

Those last five years, however, were a living, waking nightmare for Plant and his family; the devastating Rhodes car crash in '75, forced extended exile from family and country thanks to punitive taxes, the death of little Karac in England whilst Plant himself was off his face in America touring with Zeppelin in '77, and climaxing in his good friend Bonzo quite literally drinking himself to death in '80 on the eve of an American tour that Plant himself very grudgingly only agreed to after much arm-twisting and convincing from Peter Grant... a tour, incidentally, that Bonzo did NOT want to go on, complained repeatedly about, and was likely very depressed and anxious about when he started his final day on Earth with four quadruple screwdrivers (and a ham roll)... and kept downing the Vodkas throughout the day until he repeatedly fell off his drum stool and ultimately passed out in Jimmy Page's house after midnight, never to waken up again!

Who'd want to relive all that? Sure the money, the fame, the adulation, the euphoria, and the blowjobs were fun for a while... but it can't replace those loved ones who are no longer here or the life you can never get back... Plant, unlike Jimmy Page, would rather look forward than back, and I don't blame him.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    snkcube, DME1061, mdm08033 and 4 others like this.
  17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Apologies for not reading the full thread but it is now the middle of May 2018. I bought the recent How the West etc and was pleased with the box and standalone blu-ray. I take it there is no official news of any new archival live material at this point in time.

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

It's not "perfect". Page is a perfectionist. That's why their studio albums are so great. The guy had total control of what was produced.

19. Chris Schoen

That sums it up pretty well. There is still "worthy" live music that can be released, but it will have to be approved by Page and the rest of those involved.
    A "How The East Was Won" collection would be nice. I have no doubt that when they are looking for "a few million more" to fund their lifestyles, it will be released.

The Hermit likes this.
  20. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The supposed How The East Was Won album was a rumor that came from a single, unverifiable source years ago; namely, Zeppelin super-fan Dave Lewis of Tight But Loose fanzine... as far as I'm aware, no-one ever asked him where he got his scoop from, and no-one like Jimmy Page or Kevin Shirley ever confirmed it was at one point under active consideration for release... Page recently confirmed the Japan '71 multi-tracks' continued and current existence, but also said they were not planned for release in the foreseeable future; Page wasn't happy with the sound recording when he listened back to it after the shows in question, which is why it was never released as a live album in it's own right then or since (if it had been, it would undoubtedly be one of the great live albums of our age, those Japanese shows were incendiary!), and it would appear nothing has changed in the interim...

21. Chris Schoen

Fans love to hear it all, and probably don't know half the 'flubs" that were actually made. The artists, on the other hand, hear EVERYTHING, and are self-conscious about it.
    I love Santana's "Lotus" (live in Japan, '70's) - Santana has said he hated that album from the moment he heard the tapes. He said he heard EVERY "mistake" he made, etc.
    It's a wonder it was released. But I guess there was more to it than that, and it was purposely recorded to be a live album.

jay.dee likes this.
  22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No one asked him because IIRC it wasn't really a scoop. I think he made the comment about a potential title should they release those tapes in jest rather than anything involving an official source. It was just a play on the HTWWW title and people ran with it. Now it's viewed as something that was planned.

I don't have the original article where he said handy, or if at all (I'd have to check storage) but I think it was just a joke title rather than a serious rumour.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think artists are also prone to over exaggerating things either positive or negative. There's three flubs no one would ever pick up on = equals loads of mistake and I hate the album. Can't say how true that is for the Santana album but generally I find they over exaggerate a lot.

24. Chris Schoen

I would not want to hear even one mistake in my performance...

25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

There are four soundboard tracks floating around from the two Osaka '71 shows. One has been released as a CD single. Given how good they sound as raw unauthorized material -- I don't think the bootleg companies have multis -- an official release would sound very good, especially when you consider how good Yardbirds '68 sounds, and all of today's tech, which could be used to benefit old live recordings.

I wonder if the Japan '71 tapes were digitized back in 2003? Would have been a smart move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.