Which low budget tape deck?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gasolin, Sep 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasolin

gasolin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

New low budget tape deck, cassette deck

Denon DRW-580 (double),Denon DR-M22 (looks very good with the valnut side panels) 30+ year old,Technics RS-TR255 (double),Technics RS-B205 cheap,Sony TC-K361,JVC TD-X372,JVC, TD-V66 expensive when it was new,Kenwood Basic x1 looks like it was the most expensive kenwood made in 1985

Out of these tape deck,cassette deck what is recommendable?

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Either JVC. Will keep on running for a long time.

McLover and gasolin like this.
  3. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

Usually a single well deck is more reliable than a dual. It is better to look for a newer deck as it is more likely to be working. A good indication of age and quality is if the deck has Dolby S. None of the decks you mention are well known to me, but a year or so ago I bought a Yamaha KX580 on eBay that was less than $100 including shipping that has worked out really well. The only thing it doesn't have is auto-reverse, but that feature tends to lower reliability. I was a little lucky in my purchase, as looking at eBay right now I see two in the $100 range not including shipping.

4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Single deck over double, no auto-reverse!

You are likely to have to replace rubber components sooner or later. Just make sure you'll be able to service it, with some decks you can't get the idlers and that means an incomplete or worse, a non working deck after replacing the rest of the rubber.

Search on ebay for the idlers (most important) for the deck you choose. Belts and pinch rollers are less important as in one way or another you'll find replacements.

5. gasolin

6. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The functions to look out for are: triple head, auto calibration, Dolby C & S, Dolby HX pro, type IV. With some patience you can find a 1990s brandname deck in good condition with these features below 100 EUR. A double deck is at best pointless, you don't want to dub from cassette to cassette in 2019.

7. gasolin

If you see any from ebay sold in europe for 50-60 euros it's okay til link to it

Personally i don't have anything recorded with dolby s so i won't go into that, im only gonna use it to play music, i have some original tapes, some mixed tapes and something recorded from the radio i want to listen to again, also i want to collect cassette i don't have from my favorite artists.

The old tape deck i still have i a pioneer CT- in the 400 range, it has some small parts that where fragile and broke, just to open it would properly cost half the price of a used in working condition (won't do it my self) and spare parts i don't think is possible to get, even if possible i think it will be better just to buy a used one that works.

8. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

9. gasolin

Can get a ONKYO TA-6510, opinions?

10. Skip the doubles as mentioned. The Technics RS-B205 is a very basic deck, but good parts and sound, just basic features - calibrated to TDK AD/SA/MA. The two JVCs are good too. Calibrated to Maxell UD, TDK SA, and JVC's Metal which is close to MA.

The Denon DR-m22 is also a really great deck. It is calibrated to Denon tapes, but has adjustments for others.

As mentioned, in the link from Anorak is the Technics RS-AZ6. This is the newest really great deck of this list. I would go with that or an AZ7. These were super rare or not available in the US, but common in Europe.

The big factor is the condition of the heads and the how much a rebuild will cost (tire, belts if applicable, and a tune up) fro each.

anorak2 likes this.
  11. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I've had two JVC decks, both were rock solid. I have a TD-V661 I picked up used about a decade ago- easily the best sounding deck I've owned.

12. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I bought a used AZ6 about a year ago from ebay for 80 EUR. That was really a great catch, I wish I'd had one in the 90s. Did some test recordings from CD, the audio is nearly indistinguishable from the source, even though that one doesn't come with Dolby S (no Technics does as far as I know). But it has HX pro which is great, and the auto calib function means you can throw practically any tape brand at it and it'll give good results. It does not come with a remote, but it can be remote controlled if you have a remote from a Technics amp of the same era.

13. gasolin

I had a onkyo TA-6510 but there was something wrong with it, so that was not an option

Denon DR-M33 i can get for not 75 euro and a DR-M22 with wood side panel, not for the same price (looks really good),Denon DR-M30HX less than 70 euro

Kenwood Basic x1 for around 75 euros

JVC, TD-V66 still for sale for around 65 euros (quite expensive when it was new)

Im not gonna record since im using a small class d amp (Douk Audio G3) and a 4 way audio input control where i have to use some kind of spillter for the output to my amp if im gonna record something or use the source directly into the tape deck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.