Which media player do you use for computer audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SBurke, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

Ditto. For audio at any rate.

2. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

I'm on a Mac and I use Cog. I tried Clementine a while back and didn't like it, but I can't remember why.

3. Charles Buxton

Charles Buxton Forum Resident

Yes, like everyone else here, I wish iTunes supported FLAC and hi-res up to 24/192 natively. That said, IMHO, it cannot be beat for sheer slickness and userfriendliness. Lately, due to the PonoPlayer, I've been using thier PonoWorld app, which I understand is JRiver with a custom wrapper. Now please don't crucify me, I know some people swear by JRiver, and it does seem to have a boatload of features, not to mention supporting file types and resolutions that iTunes does not, like FLAC, 24/192, DSD, etc. That said, just about every time I use PonoWorld/JRiver, it makes me pine for iTunes. PonoWorld/JRiver feels like someone is trying to build a better iTunes, but just doesn't have the resources to get there. Frankly it feels like using DOS 3.0 app on a Mac. Now, like I said, it does have redeeming feature, like, lots of features that iTunes lacks, and, iTunes does have it drawbacks as well.

Rolltide likes this.
  4. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

On Linux/SL:
    - Rhythmbox (music)
    On PPC/Tiger Mac:
    - Cog (music)
    - FStream (webradios)
    - XLD (ripping)
    On Intel/Mavericks Mac: Audirvana
    On Win7:
    - EAC (ripping)
    - Easy CD-DA (metadata etc.)
    - Foobar (music)

5. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Foobar.....music
    EAC.....ripping
    Easy CD/DA Extractor for metadata etc.

Tommy SB likes this.
  6. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

My core tool set as well.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  7. dcottrell6

dcottrell6 Forum Resident

For ripping I use dBpoweramp to a QNAP NAS running Logitech MS.
    The main system uses a Squeezebox Duet and I have a Raspberry Pi running squeezelite on the second system.

8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Decible!

9. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I've used most all of them. Started with RealPlayer and Winamp back in the dark ages, then moved to Media Monkey and Foobar. Once I switched to J.River, I never looked back. I actually uninstalled Media Monkey yesterday, it was always too glitchy. I do use dbPoweramp for ripping/encoding and iTunes to load my iPod. I also use Audacity to edit needledrops.

The only one I was happy with before J.River was Foobar, but the utilitarian interface and programmer-level coding was a pain. With the Gizmo app, I have full control with my phone as well.

Colin M likes this.
  10. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

In Linux Mint 17; dBpoweramp for ripping, Audacious for playback, Soundconverter for conversion.

11. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I should also add that IO use MP3tag to fix tags when needed,or to tag needledrops.

wolfram likes this.
  12. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

That's weird. I'm using the Dark One V4 skin and I updated to the latest version of Foobar the other day.

13. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

14. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Same here. Zero problems on Windows 7 Ultimate with foobar2000 v1.3.7 using Dark One V4 .

15. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Itunes and HP Music at the moment.

16. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It gives me a crash error and tells me it couldn't load. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

What are the step by step instructions on how you loaded it?

17. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

VOX. It has a minimalist interface yet a ton of features. Playlists are so easy to create and on a Macbook Air it never falters on 24/96 or 24/192 FLAC files.

18. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have Amarra and am trying JRiver on my Mac

19. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

Cog for audio playback, Audacity for digitizing albums/cassettes, XLD for ripping CD's, VLC and QuickTime for video playback, Handbrake for ripping DVDs, freac for converting files, Auroroa Blu-Ray Copy for ripping bluray.

20. Barnabas Collins

The only thing I did was click on Menu>Help>Check For New Foobar Versions. It took me directly to the link for the Foobar update and I downloaded it from there. I might have had to close out of the previous version of Foobar first before the current version (1.3.7) loaded but I don't remember.

21. October Man

October Man I am the October Man, I dream of many things

iTunes for ripping and Playlists, then I transfer albums/Playlists to 3 32GB SD Cards that I have in a loading or playing rotation.
    The cards are loaded into a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 and played using Poweramp for Android via my Denon setup.

22. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

No, I meant for installing DarkOne. I hate the fact that I can't find any decent instructions in English. I had to watch a YouTube video to do it the first time.

23. AJH

AJH Senior Member

On my Mac, I use iTunes as the database and Amarra Symphony as my media player.

24. Barnabas Collins

Sorry for the mix up. I thought you had Dark One previously? If so, when you update Foobar it should still be there. If you didn't have it in the first place, I'm afraid I don't have an answer. I seem to recall it was a nightmare to set up and I had to do a lot of research. I think I might have even followed someone's instructions here a few years ago and I've always just left it as my only Foobar skin...especially since I'm pretty helpless when it comes to computers.

25. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Audirvana Plus with ITunes as database. It was such a dramatic improvement I'm wondering why I waited so long to try 3rd party playback software-it's essential for musically involving playback of digital files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.