Which movies have scarred you for life?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by carrolls, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Not a movie per se, but I once watched a beheading video which as scarred me big time. I wish I could unsee it.

I can no longer stand to see any creature get hurt in the slightest. Even watching baseball often makes me cringe at times.

As for real films, one of my first client studios recorded the soundtrack to Phantasm, which means I watched it several times. That flying machine that drilled into people's head was very hard for me to watch.

Rufus McDufus and Ghostworld like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That shot of Peck tied to the whale is pretty damn scary. Did you avoid Free Willy?

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

some a-hole forwarded me that video thinking it was funny. Disgusting.

4. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

The Beast With Five Fingers had a lasting effect on me. I must've seen it aged 7 or 8 which was not a good age to see disembodied hands running around.

Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet was pretty memorable.

5. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

The Australian film 'Wolf Creek' was unpleasant. The image of 'head on a stick' stuck with me.

6. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

Isn't Wolf Creek 2 meant to be even more unpleasant?

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  7. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Salo. I actually vomited when I saw it at home. Can't even imagine how it would be on the Big Screen.

8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I think I'm immune to that particular prize. ;)

9. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Threads.... 1984 British docudrama on the aftermath of a nuclear attack on the city of Sheffield. Terrifying in that this type of event could occur.

Toby Benjamin likes this.
  10. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Hi

"Only two things scare me and one is nuclear war".
    Austin Powers

Threads is the scariest film I've ever seen. A Serbian Film is the most disgusting.

11. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I found a copy of Threads a year ago. My wife had a similar experience to mine when it first aired and refused to watch it again. So one day she went out and I popped the disc in. While my perspective of the acting and script has changed, the aftermath of the bombs is still horrific. I have a poor memory but select images really had "scarred" me as they looked exactly like I remembered them. Bleak and terrifying.

Mark

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Threads has been one of my most-wanted-on-DVD titles for ages. I first saw it in the mid-90's when one of my highschool teachers showed it to our class, and I've always wanted to see it again. The fact that it's never been released on R1 DVD is absolutely insane.

Alan2 likes this.
  13. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

when i was a kid, maybe 8 or 9, i saw the Jane Fonda movie The Dollmaker on TV. if my memory is right, it was actually a Saturday afternoon movie on a local affiliate or something like that.

anyway, there's a pretty graphic scene where her little daughter gets run over by a train, except she doesn't die instantly. so there's a scene of Jane Fonda flipping out, holding the mortally wounded girl in the backseat of a car.

maybe it's not even as gory as my childhood recollection would have it. but that's the one time i can remember a movie really upsetting me, especially as a kid.

14. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Was it the beheading of Nick Berg by al Qaeda? That was really tough to shake loose from my psyche.

15. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

For me hands down it was The Night Stalker movie & series on TV with Darren McGavin. Haven't a clue if it would have the same effect on me today if I were ever to watch them again but at that time at that age the show really got to me. Spooked the $#@ out of me

16. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

Unfortunately I watched that one, too. It's been over 10 years and it's never left me. I really wish I could unsee it.

17. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

18. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

I found a copy online and watched it again for the first time in something like 40 years. It was silly and pretty pedestrian but boy was I shaking in my boots when I saw it as a kid!!!

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

[​IMG]

I watched this as part of my Phil Hoffman memorial film fest. Not sure what to make of it. Its kinda like if Paul Thomas Anderson directed "Freddy Got Fingered", you know what I mean? It's revolting, yet with an artistic touch which makes you still sort of appreciate it, even though you are completely revolted. I'm not sure I'll ever find the stamina to sit through it again. But it's definitely been imprinted on my mind permanently.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Besides both movies being absolutely terrible. The plot of the sequel is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. A man who watched the prequel to the exact movie he is in and has to recreate the movie in “real life”. It doesn’t get much worse than that.

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I just watched WC2 and I didn't find it any more disturbing/unpleasant than the first one. It was a decent sequel, with a few pretty gruesome moments, but I found the ending a little unsatisfying. I wonder how long it will be before we get a third entry...??

22. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom is where I found out I have a phobia of centipedes and stuff like that.

My dad gets scared by The Exorcist and movies similar to it. I thought The Exorcist was stupid. I didn't find it scary at all. My sister got scared by Paranormal Activity, which I thought was another waste of a couple hours. Just some doors slamming and people screaming.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Platoon, Looking for Mr. Goodbar were really scarring for me. I would never watch Raging Bull again, either. I remember realizing that I was curled up in my seat, almost fetal, during the fight sequences

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think "Exorcist" is scary but I think it's creepy and effective. "Paranormal", on the other hand, was the snooziest snoozer that ever snoozed...

hi_watt likes this.
  25. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

A deeply disturbing film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.