Which movies have scarred you for life?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by carrolls, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah, it's usually films like this that disturb me more than gorefests. It's one of those films that I think was quite good but nevertheless don't particularly want to ever see again. It goes to areas of the human condition that I don't especially want to revisit.

Let's hope never! Didn't see the sequel, as I thought the original was terrible. It's very boring, just another badly scripted slasher flick where almost nothing of interest happens until the movie is more than half-over, and then we get to the by-the-numbers omniscient, omnipotent killer picking off a bunch of young models you don't care about. I recall it came out around the same time as Hostel, which gets right just about everything Wolf Creek gets wrong.

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Even had it been fake, it would have bothered me, but knowing it was real really got to me. There was another beheading video recently and I stayed as far away as I could from it. I recommend everybody do the same, as unfortunately there will likely be more of them to come. Once you see it it can't be unseen.

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I am way too chicken to watch Philosophy Of A Knife and Men Behind The Sun. Anyone brave enough to watch these?

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I own both of them. Neither one disturbed me at all.
    (But then again, what does?) :p

5. Synthfreek

I guess I'm not down with authentic footage of autopsies on babies and whatever Unit 731 craziness is shown.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I think this post has scarred me for life. MEN BEHIND THE SUN is based on actual events and is realistically (and unbearably) portrayed. A person who says this film didn't disturb them at all compels me to question their humanity.

7. I've seen Men Behind The Sun, and while it has some grisly scenes, it's another one of those films whose reputation makes it sound much worse than it actually is - not least due to its supposedly using actual corpses in some scenes (like the autopsy on a boy).

8. Synthfreek

I know how to scar Rocker...

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm aware that the film was based on actual events, but the fact remains that it's just a movie... it's not like you're seeing the actual footage of those events as they happened. As I've said numerous times before in these types of threads, I don't get disturbed by things that aren't real. It hardly means that my humanity is questionable. :rolleyes:

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Exactly.... it's nowhere near as horrific as its reputation makes it out to be. There are a couple of "yuck!" moments, and there was indeed a real child's corpse involved in part of the autopsy scene... but there plenty of movies out there that are much, much worse.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That will do it! :eek: Make it stop! Make it stop! :p

12. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

16 Pages and no mention of Candyman? That movie gets me every time.

13. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Is Philosophy of a Knife any good? I have it but I've never watched it. I think it's a 4 hour movie??

15. Gary910

Gary910 Master Record Listener

I feel EXACTLY the same!!!

16. Gary910

Saving Private Ryan

The depiction of soldiers getting shot in the head... it is still distressing to me many years later. So realistic.

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Saving Private Ryan is a movie I`ll never forget,but then that`s the whole point!
    That had to be the single most view changing movie I have seen in my entire life.

18. Gary910

Wow we wrote the same thing at the same time...

steveharris likes this.
  19. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

I saw venom, with klaus kinski, when I was a kid on the z channel. I still have a problem with snakes all these years later...

As for films I wish I hadn't seen, oldboy comes to mind...

20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yes, it's nearly 4 1/2 hours.
    It's been a long time since I watched it, but I seem to recall thinking after my first viewing that it was nowhere as shocking as its reputation would lead you to believe.

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

36 parallel. :D

22. That's beyond disturbing.

23. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

The Deer Hunter. I can't handle the ending.

24. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I saw Deliverance on first release..
    It was just a parable about a group of grown up city boys venturing for the week end -too far out in the Wild, and then finding out they were still just little boys at heart, behind all their expressed confidences and arrogance. There was nothing to be shocked about, in Deliverance

25. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The worst scene by far -in Saving Private Ryan , is the one : where the German soldier is 'enjoying' with added voiced sado/ sexual connotations, to boot - the slow stabbing of the helpless soldier on the floor in that house, late in the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.