Which movies have scarred you for life?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by carrolls, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

He thought that was funny? What a sick fu@k.

2. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I agree! I have a VHS tape of Venom.
    It is rather freaky to see a camera depict 'how a snake might -be seeing the World'. Those scenes in the film , where the deadly poisonous snake slithers through the air ducts of that house, "are spookly" indeed to any snake hater.
    IMHO , I contend that somewhere in our human DNA from the day of our birth , generally -we automatically fear either snakes or spiders - or both
    I could easily go to bed at night, peacefully knowing that a spider was crawling around on the ceiling above. Snakes though , in any form - give me the creeps.

3. Collector Man

I find this reaction about the male rape scene in Deliverance -one, not terribly graphic - in that film, to say the least , strange . Especially when one thinks of a similar question that could be asked : "How many times is it still considered 'alright' and justified for today's films to similarly depict females getting the same form of violent treatment.?"

In Deleverance , metaphorically suggested at its ending : that Man is about to now engineer major development works . The identical scarring "rape" of the natural same landscape and its habitats, where the previous physical rape took place.
    A dramatic justifiable argument is therefore now made - that the 'previous mentioned -objected to' scene was not merely some form of gratuitous gesture.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:confused: My post was in reference to the 2004 decapitation video of Nicholas Berg.

5. Collector Man

My apology for getting my 'wires crossed'. I totally agree that the particular depiction which you saw , would get a similar sickening recoiling reaction, from me.

6. So, to flip this on its head: have you ever seen a gore/horror movie that DID live up to its reputation?

7. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

1408....creepy....and All that jazz....

8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not really ;) I thought Human Centipede II was pretty f**ked up, but I was still able to watch the whole thing, and it didn't "scar me for life" or anything like that. I don't think it's possible for a horror flick to ever truly live up to its reputation (for me, at least) because those reputations usually tend to come from people whose tolerances for gore and disturbing/shocking visuals are far lower than mine. ;)

Having said that.... the only movie I can think of that DOES give me the creeps and has any kind of effect on me whatsoever is, ironically, one in which you see absolutely NOTHING disturbing/shocking/gory on-screen whatsoever.... The Blair Witch Project. Go figure! ;)

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of scary movies, but definitely The Exorcist sent me over the edge. Watched it in the movie theater when it was released, and I really haven't had the stomach for horror films ever since.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Movies which really gave me the creeps when I was in my young teens:

Seconds (John Frankenheimer)
    The Haunting (Robert Wise)
    The Exorcist

skybluestoday and Vidiot like this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

It definitely didn't scar me as a movie, but it made me reconsider WWII. I used to think of it as this nice cuddly war, good guys vs bad guys. Good guys won. My grandad served in Alaska during the war, used to meet up with other Vets all the time, and man they were nice guys. as a kid, it never connected with me that it was still WAR, horrible scary stuff, with lots of people dying brutally. The first 20 minutes brought that home for me, and since I was 25 at the time, made me try and place myself in similar positions, how I would've dealt with things.

geralmar likes this.
  12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

The movie raised my awareness of the reality.

13. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Same experience. Strangely, it was the sound of his screams that penetrated my defenses. Truly horrific.

It made me understand why many combat veterans don't speak of their time at war, as the mere thought of such traumatic events makes you relieve the experience emotionally.

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

"One Trick Pony". The sound of a Fender Rhodes electric piano through an MXR Phase 90 still gives me nightmares.

Rufus McDufus and Dudley Morris like this.
  15. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

I also remember the audio being out of sync with the video, so the screams came a couple seconds before the image. Truly horrifying.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I saw that within the last six months on Blu-ray, and that is a terrible, terrible movie. But there are some good moments here and there... just not many. Lower-case spielberg.

17. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

The Exorcist

18. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

19. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

' Seconds' for sure. Then came 'Wolf Creek', which is weird because I love my horror films - however, it was just too sadistic. I knew it was only a movie, but I just felt saddened.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  20. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I tend to agree, but whenever it's on I watch parts of it only because of Kate Capshaw. Not only is she
    hilarious in many parts, but she is also extremely attractive in it. I can see why Spielberg fell in love with
    her during the shoot, and eventually married her.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

"Paramount Pictures presents- The Freak: this film will not only scare you, but fvck you up for life!" :laugh:

:wave:

22. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

Different strokes, different folks, I guess, Vidiot. That one for me is top-drawer, all-capitals Spielberg; I know this is not a common opinion, but I just love the giddy, anything-goes, heartless quality of it. (Similarly, I love 1941.)

(That said, I'd like to thank you for all of your terrifically informed, gutsy, and knowledgeable work here -- you're one of my favourite posters, and it's great to have you back full-time.)

23. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

Despite the obvious limitations of the role, she is very funny as this screechy gold-digger. (I thought Penelope Cruz, as this completely coked-out bitchy shrew, was the highlight of Ted Demme's Blow, for what it's worth.)

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's been said that after she was cast for the film, Capshaw told a couple of friends, "I'm gonna wind up marrying the director. Just you wait." And she did. That was a very expensive divorce from Amy Irving back in the 1980s -- reportedly about $92M. I can see where a divorce this messy would scar you for life.

25. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

In a constructive scarring way, the most impactful for me was "Memory of the Camps".

This documentary is compiled of film of the Bergan-Belson concentration camp made when the allies discovered it in 1945. PBS showed it in 1985 and I watched and taped it, but was so effected by it that I never watched in over 20 years.

It is now on the PBS web site available for viewing. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock and not seen until 1985.
    You see footage of dead bodies being bulldozed into pits, and other horrors of the holocaust and what the allies saw in 1945. The narration is dry and at times brutally sarcastic. On one hand, I think it is historically important and everyone should see it and on the other, I would never force anyone to see it.

Horrific and real.
    A painful and significant historical document.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.