Which music streaming service do you use?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathBadger

MathBadger New Member

I use MOG, and I'm quite happy with it. I haven't tried many other services, bot MOG does exactly what I want, so I'm content. I use both the streaming on the computer and the mobile app. The sound quality is pretty decent, and the ability to play music on the bus is very nice.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Stupid technology is stupid. I'm happy with my new Wishbone Ash box set.

3. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Spotify premium. I invested during the release hype, then checked out MOG later. They seem to be pretty equal but I prefer Spotify's discrete program vs the 'runs in a browser window' thing MOG does, and I like it's portability on an iTouch. I use it mainly to preview new albums before buying.

4. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

For those who don't know KEXP, it's an alternative/indie radio station based in Seattle which streams an uncompressed 1411 kbps feed online.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've been using Spotify and MOG for the last few months but I plan to subscribe to MOG next year. I like Spotify's free program (temporary unlimited) better than MOG's "earn free time through some mysterious and undisclosed number of mouse clicks", but there's no question that MOG has more music and sounds better.

For $5 a month I'll go with 320kbps and MOG.

6. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I have subscriptions to both Spotify and MOG and right now MOG gets the nod due to having more complete albums, i.e. Impulse label. I like their app better too, but love the PC app for Spotify. MOG seems to work more on Squeezebox too, so there you go.

7. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I subscribe to RadioIO and 181FM. I stream Bluegrass, Dead, Classical, 70s rock, 50s-60s rock. 181 FM has a good bluegrass station. the rest on RadioIO.

8. Synthfreek

What's the secret to easily create playlists of entire albums using MOG?

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I use Pandora occasionally at work

10. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

MOG had added a "discrete program" for the Mac. I definitely prefer it to the browser. Not sure about whether they have something similar in the works for the PC, though.

I do have the free version of Spotify that I tried out, but I did not see any reason to switch. If they did 320k on wifi all the time, like MOG, I would give them a second look. Although, I love the ability to just listen to a station of one artist and I like the slider that will add other artists incrementally. I think MOG is the only service with this feature.

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Spotify, Zune Marketplace, and Grooveshark.

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

MOG for the win.

13. nbakid2000

When you see an album cover on MOG, scroll over it and to the right a window will pop up with a play button, a plus sign, and a heart.

Click on the Plus sign, it will give you the option to put into your queue. Click the queue button, done. Repeat for next album.

Then title your new comp in the "Create New Playlist" window to the left hand side of the screen. Done.

14. Synthfreek

I see what you're saying there nba but I'd like to be able to have a giant list of albums under My Playlists on the left hand side of the interface without having to manually drag one song at a time. Spotify lets you highlight a whole album and just drag the whole thing to "create a new playlist" and it even titles it for you. This procedure is tedious with MOG.

15. nbakid2000

You don't have to drag anything. It's literally a 2 click process. You're doing it wrong. :D

I have tons of playlists with tons of complete albums made with the 2 click process. If you need a picture tutorial I can post one.

16. Synthfreek

This doesn't work. Why would creating a playlist automatically add whatever I just added to my queue? When I title my "comp" as you call it it just creates an empty playlist.

17. nbakid2000

Either you're doing it wrong or there's a misunderstanding.

Video coming in a few minutes.

EDIT: OK, they changed the process apparently because the way I posted originally DID work (I haven't used the service in a while, so it changed). You're correct, that method does not work. (blame MOG, not me)

Video still coming.

18. nbakid2000

For those of you with the same problem Synthfreek had, here's how you do it:

1. Create a playlist just like you did (title it, then press Enter).

2. Find an album you want, click on the album art, drag and drop it into the title of the playlist (it will highlight gray when it's ready for you to release the mouse)

3. Click on the playlist title

4. Your albums will be in the playlist in order.

19. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Both Spotify and MOG are great services, but I had loads of issues with both mobile apps; constant crashes and poor reception.

I don't subscribe to anything right now -- mostly using YouTube to sample songs/albums -- but will probably go back to MOG since you're getting pretty darn good quality sound for so cheap.

20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

So much MOG talk here, and only 14 votes?

21. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

This is the only thing I don't like about MOG's interface. Spotify makes it easy by automatically creating a new album-based playlist by simply dragging and dropping it under "My Playlists" (similar to iTunes), whereas in MOG you have to manually create a new playlist, name it, *then* drag the album under it. Not a big deal, but given how easy it is in Spotify you'd think MOG would have similar functionality.

22. crickbob

crickbob Member

Thanks for the tip on this one. Now if it was only available on Sonos.... :)

23. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I selected "none", but that might not have been correct: I do listen to FM radio and some specific radio stations that have an online stream. But I don't use any general streaming service.

I discover new music all the time, mostly the way I've always done it. By:

- recommendations from friends (by far the most common way)
    - from the stations I listen to
    - and more recently: by checking out some bands/artists that I read about here on this forum.

I'm certainly not opposed to a general streaming service, but I already encounter vastly more new music than I can possibly absorb as it is!

24. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Thanks for the reply -- I can see where you'd be more in the gray zone given your situation.

25. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

None.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.