Which (now OOP) MPI Beatles DVD titles are most valuable and/or desired?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

I have several of the now OOP MPI Beatles DVD titles, and I recall reading here that some are greatly desired because they contain better musical fidelity and/or different song mixes and/or better picture quality than the more recent re-issues.

Please illuminate me re the specific titles, and what exactly are the attributes that make them desired/superior?

Thanks... and Merry Crimble.

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

and a Happy Goo Year to you. :wave: It seems to me that the MPI DVD of "A Hard Day's Night" is very much in demand. I've been looking for a copy at a reasonable price for some time. The current 2 disc travesty has sent many of us in search of the earlier version with the vastly superior audio tracks. I have all of the other MPI titles (in the boxed set) and will probably keep them forever.

3. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I bought a DVD of Help from eBay the other week - it claims to be an MPI disc, and it is certainly not a cheap DVD-R copy or anything, but the 5.1 DTS sound is a bit grotty. I assumed it to be a boot, but could I be wrong?

4. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

To my knowledge, Help! has not been issued in 5.1--it's likely a boot.

5. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

The MPI copy of Help that I bought many years ago simply states "Dolby Digital Stereo". No 5.1.

Cheers,
    Chris

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Boy, searching the DVD listings on eBay for THE BEATLES is a revelation. Boots, boots, and more boots. How can they get away with this? There are so many fakes and outright counterfeits listed that the "real" stuff is hard to find! What a scam.

7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

What is wrong with the current 2-disc Hard Day's Night and why?

I also want to point out that the currently available DVD of Magical Mystery Tour is easily the worst "official" release Apple has ever done, of any product. I have a late 80's reissue of MMT on VHS which was excellent, in fact, it still has better color, picture quality, and sound than the current DVD, which looks like a straight copy of the earlier, lousy VHS version!

I have no idea why Apple messed that up. But they did.....

8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Let me count the ways...no, you can do it yourself. ;) Mainly bad audio (fake 5.1 from mono) and "over-letterboxing".

Try the following SH forums link for starters:"A Hard Days Night" DVD - really bad 5.1!

9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

So, ahem, to try to get this back on track :winkgrin: , the most desired MPI DVD is A Hard Day's Night and maybe Magical Mystery Tour as well?

Thanks.

10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The picture quality on Magical Mystery Tour is quite poor, with lots of digital artifacts. So, just Hard Days' Night. The Criterion LD would more than likely beat it though.

11. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

The Magical Mystery Tour DVD does have a nice sound mix, though (IIRC).

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

with the Beatles...if it's not in print, it's desirable! I treasure all the MPI releases...

13. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

The nice thing is that these're all single layer releases, AFAIK, so collectability and obtainability diverge...

14. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

For what it's worth, the MPI Magical Mystery Tour LD is nothing to write home about either. Wasn't it shot 16mm in the first place?

I no longer have the Criterion AHDN laserdisc, but IIRC, nearly all of the Criterion supplemental material made it onto the MPI DVD, which is why I FOOLISHLY :cry: unloaded it a few years back. The MPI DVD's are nice (and I'm glad I have them) but, you are absolutely correct in that the presentation and sound on the Criterion laserdiscs (especially the CAV editions) is as good as it is likely to get any time soon. Perhaps if we ask nicely, Ron Furmanek can share a story or two about his involvement with the Criterion LD's... :)

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

not that anyone asked, but the Criterion LD of 'Help!" is a joy to behold as well.

16. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It most certainly DOES NOT! Whereas the LD release sports a dedicated Dolby pro-logic mix specially put together for that release by George Martin, including sound effects remixed into surround, full stereo Bonzo song, the bus in surround, etc., the DVD is a NEEDLE DROP from a crappy condition LP, and is only in stereo for The Beatles songs (the Bonzo's song is now back to mono, as is all the incidental sounds & dialog)! It IS true that the picture quality on the MMT DVD far surpasses the LD, however, the same material on the new Anthology DVD far surpasses the MMT DVD.

Also watch out for The Making Of A Hard Day's Night DVD on MPI--no reissue is forthcoming for this one (should have been an extra on the reissue). The Beatles' First US visit on MPI, however, is totally worthless, as the new one is FAR superior.

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I was seeing what I assumed were Brazillian DVD's of Magical Mystery Tour last month at the Valley Forge record show, are these just clones of the MPI DVD? I already have the MPI version.

18. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I agree as far as the sound of the Dolby Digital stereo Beatle songs (they sound great!), but the film itself is pretty ragged compared to the Criterion AHDN. The source element is not nearly as clean with plenty of dirt and scratches. The MPI DVD looks better, but the Criterion LD SOUNDS better, IMO. As always, YMMV. :)

19. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I own all of the MPI Beatles DVD's, 5 in total if I remember correctly.
    1)1st US visit
    2)MMT
    3)Help
    4)Making of A Hard Days Night.

5)A Hard Days Night-I love this movie. I saw it in a theater in Glasgow when it was originally released, in fact my brother and I hid and stayed in to watch it a 2nd time. :laugh:

20. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I read that the "Making of AHDN" dvd was missing the sequence that was cut from
    the film (but broadcast on Ed Sullivan!) and rescued years later.

I assumed that the "Making of..." DVD and LD were equal - but apparently not.

The LD had the extra sequence - which I'm fairly certain - would be of interest
    to even the most casual fan.

I own the Criterion CAV LD of AHDN. Not sure it's really much better than
    the CLV version of the same title. The CAV version used to be the only
    way to get the "Running, Jumping, Standing Still" short - but - that has since
    been included in other format - and the condition of the print is SO BAD that
    its hardly worth mentioning.

I myself really can't tell the difference between CLV and CAV - even though
    I know CAV is usually considered superior (and supports freeze frame)
    effects.

I'm completely puzzled that the MMT DVD was apparently a step backwards
    in time after the late 80s LD and VHS with the new sound.

21. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ive got sealed LDs of :

A Hard Days Night
    The Making of A Hard Days Night

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The first pressing of the DVD was an error, accidentally omitting the "You Can't Do That" sequence. Later pressinge (including my copy) do feature the clip.

23. Larry Geller

It is NOT missing! It is on the DVD. Wherever you read that from was mistaken. I assume you are referring to the "concert performance" of You Can't Do That, which, after all is the TITLE of the bloody thing---wouldn't look too good to then leave it out!

24. Larry Geller

I didn't know about the early misspress. My copy is alright.

25. smilin

smilin New Member

Did MFSL ever issue Beatles CD's?

HELP, I just bought a set of 14 for a lot of money, and was told, here that they never issued cd's, but people are selling MFSL CD-R's.......I am confused now. :help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.