Which of Journey's first three albums is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by psulioninks, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was wondering for the pre-Steve Perry era, what everyone thought of their first three studio efforts...which is your favorite?

2. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Look in to the Future is good from start to finish. The songs, Anyway and the title song are my favorites.

Scott

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Look Into The Future is my favorite. Progressive rock band they were.

4. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Gotta go with Look Into the Future as well. The title cut, their cover of the Beatles' It's All Too Much and the closing cut I'm Gonna Leave You are great numbers that come to mind currently and while I like the debut, Future feels like a more assured and focused effort. Plus, Aynsley Dunbar is featured on drums, which gives the group's sound an exciting dynamic. No disrespect to Prairie Prince from the first album, but I've always preferred Aynsley's drumming style and even onto Next, the band was underrated; excellent playing all around.

5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Look Into The Future strikes the best balance between the prog fusion of the debut album and the pop sensibilities of the early Steve Perry albums. They did make some pretty blatant attempts at commercial rock on Next, but I think those songs were let down by the lyrics (which were largely written by Aynsley Dunbar).

I always thought that the song "Next" should have been re-recorded with Steve Perry on vocals (and maybe given a proper title). His voice always blended well with Gregg Rolie's voice:

6. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

The debut is great from start to finish. The other two albums have some fillers IMO.

Sidewinder43 and Finch Platte like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Aynsley played on the first album. Prairie Prince is in the "special thanks" but was out of the band by then.

8. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I voted LItF, but can't argue with the debut either. These are the three good Journey albums IMO. The only other CD I have is a compilation of the Steve Perry era.

SonicBob likes this.
  9. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Thank you! I had gone over to my CDs to check this out, but they don't list who plays what.

All these years I thought I'd been listening to Aynsley, I would have been crushed to learn it was Prairie Prince.

10. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Debut for me. I really enjoy all three though.

11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Next is killer. The record that overturned years of Journey hatred.

Haggis Wampovich and CBC like this.
  12. fawkes

fawkes Forum Resident

I voted for the first album, because it was a new sound back in the day and I prefered Gregg Rolie's voice.

13. Sequenzer

Sequenzer Forum Resident

The first album is a classic, but I like all three :)

14. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I was listening to the first three albums in high school, and so dissapointed when Steve Perry joined the bans and the music changed direction. Now I appreciate Steve Perry as a singer, but thise first two Journey albums are the only ones Imlisten to.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  15. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Next.

16. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying. After googling it, it looks like he was involved in the demoing of the first album, I thought his playing was featured on the final recording, oh well.

17. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Difficult to choose. Love the Next outtake "Cookie Duster".

18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I prefer Next, but like all three. I know Rush liked Nickle and Dime off of next.

19. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

There's only one Aynsley. :agree:

SonicBob likes this.
  20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Look Into The Future got my vote, just barely edging out the debut :)

21. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

I love their debut. Mystery Mountain is the first song I play for people who've never heard early Journey.

22. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just ripped their debut LP this weekend from a very nice clean pressing - still in the process of cleaning it up. That thing has some sick bass to it! I also have a copy of Next, but I am currently missing their sophomore effort.

23. Jugurtti

Jugurtti Well-Known Member

Voted for their debut. I always have thought "In the Morning Day" is awesome! Love the jam part!

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I have to go with the first record, particularly for In My Lonely Feeling, that s--- is my jam.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. I like all three but Next is gets my vote. Rollie’s vocals are strong and it leads the way to the Rollie/Perry/Dunbar era that happens to be my favorite lineup.

The riffs are incredible and Dunbar tears it up.
    Here’s a live video of the band performing Next in 1978 with Perry on backing vocals. They really elevate the tune with the harmonies. It starts around 2:58. Bonus points for Ross Valroy rocking the Lee Dorman look (Captain Beyond).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.