Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I voted downloads and physical media only.
    Sometimes I check stuff out on YouTube.

It's just the way I have always listened to music. I don't ever need streaming. I carry my music with me, whether it's an lp or a cd to a friends place or the lossless files on my portable things.

3. c-eling

c-eling Forum Resident

Same here, YT to sample before I buy :cheers:

hi_watt, Damien DiAngelo, mds and 3 others like this.
  4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek Please label the photos you post

Yeah...when I feel the sudden drunken urge to listen to an awful 80s yacht rock song like once, I go out and buy the CD. #physicalmediapurist

WapatoWolf, mds, longaway and 4 others like this.
  5. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I have an Amazon Prime account, and it seems like they are adding tracks to their music service every day. It doesn't take the place of LPs/CDs for me, but it's a nice addition to my physical library.

6. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Forum Resident

The best:
    1. Spotify for its well-rounded and cross-platform service.
    2. Tidal for being Spotify's only real competition.
    3. Rhapsody for its awesome Windows Phone support.

The worst:
    1. Apple Music, for being buggy, slow, lacking in features, costing too much money for the end product and for ruining Beats Music.
    2. Deezer, for its deficient music offerings.
    3. Amazon Prime, for being a joke.

I miss Xbox Music the most, though. It integrated seamlessly with my music library and had a really impressive selection.

7. RickH

RickH Forum Resident

Spotify (Premium) for almost 5 years now. And with their new "Daily Mix" feature, the service has really upped their game...I'm lovin' it!

Soundcloud I use for uploading original music, not so much for discovering music.

8. Scott S.

Scott S. Indie Music Curator

I prefer the site I co-founded, indiemusicpeople.com. Has the best new music on our top 25 show which is syndicated internationally. Also streams at 320 kpbs, which is better than any of the other indie sites. Allows you to create a listener page and manage your own station of songs. We also have a number of wellknown artists who have pages there, including Pete Townshend who has championed our site.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Tough to decide right now. I use a lot of music streaming services so it's wicked hard to pick just one.

10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I love Spotify Premium. It has a great selection of music, premium is ad-free and I love how it works across my Mac products (iPhone, iPad, MacBook) seamlessly. I also make a lot of playlists and mixes and it works great for that.

I buy physical media (CDs) but Spotify is how I sample and often how I listen these days. Gone are the days of having to load up with dozens of greatest hits albums to just get the tracks I wanted from artists I had lukewarm interest in.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight Cave dwelller

Napster, for two main reasons currently:

- Windows Phone app. (@TheSeventhStranger is correct, there's actually an app for WP)
    - Support for legacy WMDRM devices, like the Sansa Clip

12. MikaelaArsenault

What happened to Rhapsody?

13. Gaslight

Gaslight Cave dwelller

Same company. Rhapsody bought the name and now they are using it globally. This was already the case in several countries, but they just switched over in the US recently.

14. supermolland

supermolland Well-Known Member

Tidal for lossless streaming. It cost a little more but so worth it especially if you intergrate with Roon.

15. MikaelaArsenault

So it's still the same company, but just under a different name which is Napster?

16. Artdob

Artdob Member

Napster (formerly Rhapsody). Have subscribed for years, but using the service more these days than anytime in the past. Main reason is the usefulness of the app on my iPhone and iPad. I can download a ton of albums, bluetooth them in my car, or listen at work. Great way to preview entire albums before plunking down money for better resolution. Currently reviewing a bunch of music recommended on this site on a best of 2016 thread. Would not have otherwise heard the new Mudcrutch, Sturgill Simpson, The Pines ... among several that are on my next vinyl order. Similarly, weeded out other albums that I thought I might be interested in purchasing, but post review, determined I could pass.

My opinion, a great value for about $15 a month.

17. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Last year I got a work car with no CD player and no CD player option. I started putting my music on my iPhone but Apple music was difficult to navigate. I tried Spotify because everyone else was using it. I got the three months premium for 99 cents special and meant to cancel it but I just got billed for my first real month. So far it has almost every album or song I want to listen to.

18. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I listen to Spotify most and have used and enjoyed its premium service, which is fairly priced.

But its universe remains limited, as large and expansive as it is.

Let's take one of my favorite off-brand artists, Amy Rigby.

She has seven solo albums, all of them worthwhile and some great. Spotify now has one of them, plus a comp. (I think most if not all of her albums were up a few years ago.) I feel sorry for someone trying to check her out.

Maybe not Spotify's fault, but my point is that people who think they're getting "everything" but Taylor Swift on Spotify/streaming are sadly mistaken. And what is available today can go poof tomorrow -- see Netflix.

Not in a hurry to dump those CDs I care about.

19. Gaslight

Gaslight Cave dwelller

That's correct.

Companies sometimes do this as a way to improve brand recognition.

MikaelaArsenault and KDubATX like this.
  20. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Forum Resident

I've had Rhapster (as I call Napster nee Rhapsody) since '05 and Spotify Premium for a couple of years. Rhapster has better radio stations IMO & a deeper selection of the less popular genres than Spotify.

I generally use streaming to preview new stuff, sample artists I'm not familiar with and to check out older stuff I never got around to buying over the last 40 years.

Gaslight likes this.
  21. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Forum Resident

I forgot about that second point. That was so ahead of its time.

22. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Forum Resident

Artists disappearing from Spotify is one of the major reasons I kept Napster/Rhapsody as an alternate. I just looked up Amy Rigby and 5 of her studio albums are streamable there.

23. KDubATX

KDubATX Forum Resident

Tidal for lossless.

Gary7704, Al F, Larry Johnson and 2 others like this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

Spotify Premium has nearly all the major label stuff I want and some indies.

One label I like, Cuneiform, has a presence on Bandcamp so I use it sometimes.

I've considered YouTube Red but for now just use the standard site and tolerate the ads.

Yes, I will keep LPs/CDs for the music I value most.

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

If I bother streaming something it is just via standard free YouTube.

It is not important enough to me to spend a dime on it or bother downloading special apps to do it.

I never stream for any real listening, though I may call something up on my phone at a band rehearsal if we are trying to figure out how part of a song goes.

I have a vast library of music I purchase on physical media, and I continue to purchase on physical media when I want new music.

When I purchase from Amazon I sometimes get free autorip downloads which I listen to until the CDs arrive.

Last year I bought a new 2014 Mazda instead of a 2015 Mazda, because the 2015 ones had no CD player unless you bought a $4000 premium package to get it.