Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Stereosound

3. Stereosound

4. Stereosound

5. Stereosound

6. Stereosound

7. Stereosound

8. Stereosound

9. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Active Member

I voted Apple Music. I used Tidal for a while and appreciate the lossless and now MQA streaming, but right now for my modest system Apple Music sounds fine. There are a couple things about Tidal that drive me absolutely nuts. The favorites system is pathetic and leaves no real "library" to navigate with any efficiency. The lack of gapless playback is also odd. It's been long enough. They should have that figured out. Finally, and perhaps the most mind boggling of all is the lack of a "shuffle all" feature.

I like Spotify's layout and curated playlists, but I found Apple Music to sometimes use better masterings than Spotify. Two examples are Willie Nelson's "Shotgun Willie" and "Phases and Stages."

I also think that Apple Music's library navigation is the best. I like to have the albums by a particular artist sorted under that artist instead of going straight to all the tracks by that artist (like Spotify).

10. DaleClark

DaleClark Well-Known Member

Qobuz Sublime + the best. It's like having a streaming HD Tracks.

11. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

How do you get it in the US. I want it, so I can quit Tidal.

12. Grateful Ed

I would like to know this as well.

13. DaleClark

DaleClark Well-Known Member

Download Tunnel Bear (or similar VPN app) and choose France, UK or somewhere where Qobuz has service(from Tunnel Bear Menu). Use Paypal. Then you are good. You do not have to keep using Tunnel Bear after initial set up. Once online thru Tunnel Bear, use chrome to translate French site (don't go to US -english site). Once you download english software app(s) (Phone, tablet, Computer, or log in thru Bluesound) just log in and set up preferences.

14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I used a VPN to create an account for purchases. After a few months, with a few purchases each month, I didn't need to use the VPN. After six months or so, I signed up for Sublime without a problem. They have a good selection, but some of what I'd like to stream, like ECM, is still only 50 second samples.

15. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Thank you, @DaleClark and @scompton! I didn't realize I'd only need a VPN for the initial set up.

16. mesfen

mesfen Well-Known Member

Amazon for me; incredible depth of selection

17. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I gave up on Amazon after my trial period. I had a couple of albums disappear before my eyes when I tried to play them.
    I'm on Tidal and it's decent but I doubt I'll stay after my 5 free months from Sprint.

18. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Forum Resident

I had one disappear while I was playing it! (Marvin Gaye Luve in London). I was allowed to play the first four or five tracks then no more, even the ones I just played. And sure enough, not available any more.

Galley likes this.
  19. Stereosound

Tidal does play gapless at least in the HiFi tier. Also has a shuffle mode.

20. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Well-Known Member

Pandora for me. Hard to argue with free, and I like exploring new things in a genre. If I like it I'll just download the single from iTunes

vegafleet likes this.
  21. Grateful Ed

Is this new? In the iOS app? I only experienced gapless when I had tracks downloaded. Where is the shuffle all feature?

22. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I'm a vinyl guy though I like what I see/hear of Tidal.
    Listen to Radio Paradise as well...
    Radio Paradise Mobile

23. Stereosound

24. Grateful Ed

This wasn't too long ago - a couple months. I remember the offline music was only sorted by albums, and I could never figure out a way to shuffle all the songs I had saved offline. That's good if they fixed it though! Now if they could just replace the favorites system with a library navigation that makes sense I would consider switching back. Oh yeah - last time I checked they didn't have any of Jerry Garcia's studio albums. Maybe those are up now too.

EDIT - still no Garcia albums.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  25. Grateful Ed

Ok so I just checked out the most recent version of the iOS app. Here's my main issue - I have a bunch of albums saved to "my collection." I can shuffle individual albums, but not my entire collection. When I go to the "tracks" section of my collection, there is nothing there, despite having added a couple hundred albums to my collection. I cannot find a way to shuffle my whole collection without manually adding thousands of tracks individually.