Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

And the cheapest probably. Yes the most mundane of requests although still legit but the seemingly more important requests that could make or break them they have arrogantly dismissed for years now. Here are two for example:

Increase maximum songs allowed in "Your Music" - The Spotify Community

Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz CD quality - The Spotify Community

2. Stereosound

3. Stereosound

4. Stereosound

5. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

6. Bake

Bake New Member

I prefer Spotify premium for my streaming service. I typically have headphones on all day at my job so I like to to be able to download music for offline listening. This usually leads me into discovering more vinyl or cd purchases I need to make.

7. talkingh

talkingh Member

Tidal Hi-Fi for me, was a longtime Spotify fan then did a months free demo on tidal with all the MQA masters.....could not go back to Spotify after that

HenryFly and Gaslight like this.
  8. Bake

Bake New Member

I just went on the Tidal website and read about it. I really like the the concept of that service. I might have to give it a try.

HenryFly and talkingh like this.
  9. Jmac2043

Jmac2043 Member

Spotify is great imo

10. Frosst

Frosst Forum Resident

Spotify and Apple Music

11. Stereosound

12. Stereosound

13. Stereosound

14. talkingh

talkingh Member

did a like for like demo with a few tracks on my set up...the difference in sound quality was really apparent

Bake likes this.
  15. Stereosound

16. Stereosound

17. Stereosound

18. That's indicative of very poor software engineering planning on Spotify's part to not be able to keep their API backwards compatible with past application platforms. Really poor software engineering planning on their part. Such poor software engineering planning that it's as if they never cared.

19. Stereosound

I think the only thing they care about is trying to get their IPO listed so they can cash out because they don't seem to care about anything else that would improve their service to keep the competition at bay. As the latest speculation is that Apple Music will be passing them with their number of subscribers sometime this summer.

20. Stereosound

21. What's frustrating is that if a company puts a streaming API into millions of consumer electronics they need to have an obligation to think ahead and make sure that API and their backend technology is able to adapt and keep that old technology working. But silicon valley companies living in their tech economy bubble don't feel that need to support older tech. They seem to expect everyone to be able to churn through several thousands of dollars worth of technology every year or two just to keep up. That $3000 TV you bought with Spotify streaming an YouTube streaming built in? They don't care if the streaming stops working even though the rest of the TV is plenty functional. That $2000+ audiophile DAC and streaming device you bought? They don't care if it becomes obsolete and no longer supports the current streaming APIs. They just don't care. They absolutely just do not care that we are spending multi-thousands of dollars on consumer and audiophile tech that will become obsolete at their whims. They live in a world where they expect you to buy a new $1000 phone every year. I cannot afford that. And I'm absolutely pissed that they're so out of touch that they are obsoleting such expensive consumer electronics equipment. I can't afford that (and I own over $10,000 in headphone gear). I refuse to submit to their schedule of obsolescence. I cannot afford it. Nobody outside of the tech industry bubble in silicon valley can afford that level of churn.

Anyone buying any streaming capable consumer electronics device that they expect to work more than a few years in the future is an idiot. The audiophile companies selling multi-thousand dollar streaming devices must think we're idiots.

22. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

We bought a couple of years ago an expensive 55" Samsung TV - the kind with a curved screen, cam + gesture and applications: The smartest of the smart TV at the time. Then MS decided to obsolete the Skype app and the YouTube app became more strange and castrated with each year. Plex, TuneIn and Netflix still work, but the clients were not updated for a year. I find it hilarious that a 30$ Chromecast gives my 10 years old Pioneer plasma display more connectivity, smarts and services than what we get from what was considered in 2016 as a top of the line model.

billnunan, Ham Sandwich and PhilBiker like this.
  23. Higlander

Higlander Forum Resident

No idea what the obvious reason is.
    Is your Wife a major stockholder in Tidal or something?

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. Higlander

Higlander Forum Resident

Did someone "Stream" into your cheerios this morning??

25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Preach!

My Sony Blu-Ray players still work with Pandora but the YouTube app was annoyingly deprecated. Fortunately I can stream youtube from my phone using DLNA.