Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Stereosound

3. Stereosound

4. Gaslight

Gaslight Drake Dweller

Once my Napster subscription ends this summer, I plan to move over to Tidal.

audiomixer, lpfreak1170 and HenryFly like this.
  5. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

6. Gaslight

Gaslight Drake Dweller

Only thing I can think of is that it's just brand name recognition with a device they already use, in this case Alexa.

Similar to Apple Music where you could use Spotify on iOS and yet people feel the more integrated tool is "better".

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I really don’t like Apple Music’s iOS app. It’s very clunky. The music app isn’t that great either.

8. TimM

TimM Forum Resident

I'll give you two out of three, but I think the sound quality is better than Spotify. Both fall short for serious listening.

CDCollector39 and HenryFly like this.
  9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The more I use Apple Music iOS the more I don’t like it. For example, I wanted to see if they had anything by the 70’s band Stray. I found an historic description, but all the associated music was from some girl group.
    Nothing from the actual band that I could find.

PhilBiker likes this.
  10. Stereosound

11. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

They at least handled my search for The The. Tidal couldn’t, though I’ll keep subscribing to both.

brownie61 likes this.
  12. Stereosound

13. Stereosound

14. Stereosound

15. Stereosound

16. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Classical and jazz fans are being guided gently by some of the higher quality European music print media towards the French streamers Qobuz and I'm considering jumping off the Tidal wave.

Streaming in CD-Qualität

17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I like Qobuz a lot. IMO, it's the best streaming site I've tried. I've not tried Tidal though.

18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Got a question since I'm not in this yet: do any of these services have relatively obscure proto-metal, spiritual jazz and the other oddball (and now tres expensive on vinyl for old pressings) recordings? I've been looking at the download sites, like HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds, etc. and it is pretty much audiophile warhorses.
    No axe to grind, not thread pooping, but curious since i'm just starting to look at a digital front end to complement my long standing vinyl habit. Thanks, all.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The most common response I hear when I recommend streaming services to people is a sense that surely their music won't be found there, and I'm not sure I've ever found a case where its entirely true. I'm pretty sure these services let you search the catalog without subscribing (Google Play I know lets you do this, and tends to have the most esoteric catalog of the services I've tried).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Fair enough. I just checked out Qobuz. At least on the download side as opposed to subscription streaming, two albums i did find-early Gil Scott Heron records- were not available. Or at least that's what this said: " Les produits suivants ne sont malheureusement pas disponibles à la vente dans votre pays.
    Veuillez les supprimer de votre panier pour procéder au paiement de votre commande."
    Perhaps their license only extends to stream, not download, which I'd understand. I will do some more research.
    Aller de l'avant!
    Also interesting re your comments on Google having esoteric offerings. Will check it out. Thanks.

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That could just be Francais for "kick rocks Yankee, Qobuzz only works in the EU!" (which was true when last I checked). But in general, as download services and streaming services are distinct legal animals, I wouldn't make any assumptions of the catalog of one vs. another.

FWIW, Google Play Music lists 34 Gil Scott Heron albums, while Tidal lists 18. Both of these numbers include the Jamie XL remix album, which a GSH die hard might not consider cannon.

22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've run across a few things on Qobuz that are streaming only. I have no idea why. The latest Dave Holland album, Uncharted Territories, is an example. It's only available to purchase as a lossy download on Amazon. 7digital or iTunes, or of course as a CD. I wasn't able to find a lossless download anywhere. It's available to stream everywhere I've looked

23. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Fair enough in both respects- the distinction between the streaming and downloading catalogs and what is considered essential GSHeron. I'm actually going deeper-psych folk, oddball early proto-metal, you know, the stuff you can't buy because it's like 4 figures on vinyl. If there is a CD, I'm willing to buy it, I guess, but if these streaming entities have a deep enough catalog--something I'll investigate- it may be worth it. Thanks, @Rolltide

24. Dave Holland's "Uncharted Territories" is on Bandcamp. Bandcamp offers FLAC/ALAC downloads. Although occasionally an artist/label will upload a lossy source to Bandcamp. Not often, but it happens. On the other hand, sometimes a Bandcamp download will surprise you and end up being high-res when you were expecting just a CD-res download. For example, the latest Bombino album on Bandcamp is actually a 24/96 download. It looks like it's upsampled from 24/44.1, but I'll take it.

Bill Hart likes this.
  25. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's odd. I didn't find it there on release day so I ended up buying the CD from amazon.