Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tidal will let you search their catalog before signing up for a subscription. Check out as many streaming services as you can before making a decision. Each has their pros and cons as far as features and user interfaces. Catalog varies sometimes one has something another doesn't for no apparent reason and I'm not talking about exclusives either. Also sometimes one may have a deluxe edition and another may have the same album title but a different version. Stupid and unfortunate. You can always try contacting the service itself to request what is missing as well as trying to contact an artist direct to ask if they would try and make their missing catalog titles available to these streaming services.

2. Stereosound

3. Stereosound

4. Fahzz

Fahzz New Member

I just signed up for the 99 cent trial of Spotify. I turned off all sharing settings and anything else that looked similarly invasive, and I didn't sign up with Facebook since I've never used it, and I'd like to keep it that way. Do I need to do anything else to ward off Facebook while using Spotify?

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

No. I've never had a problem with it sharing stuff to Facebook.

6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

All good points, well taken. Thank you. I had been searching legit download sites, not to sidetrack this thread, and was coming up pretty empty on most of the stuff I was searching for. I'm adding digital to enlarge the scope of what I am listening to, and to relieve my pocket book of the cost of some of the more obscure, desirable records.

7. Stereosound

8. TimM

TimM Forum Resident

9. Stereosound

:laugh:

10. Stereosound

11. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I've just resigned up with Spotify Premium on a 3 month offer (£9.99). The new St Vincent album sounds remarkably good on my main system.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Doesn’t Spotify have lyrics ?

13. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

YouTube Music is now available in many countries (replacing Google Play Music). It has some good features to it, but currently the best quality you can stream at is 128kbps. That is not good at all.

14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've never noticed any, but I mostly listen to instrumental music.

I just played a vocal track in the browser and there isn't an option for lyrics. I've never downloaded the desktop app so I don't know if that has lyrics.

Googling it, they used to have lyrics on selected songs, but not anymore. Now the mobile app includes links to lyrics in the Sound Hound app

15. Stereosound

16. DML71

DML71 Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see the results of the poll. 23.8% preferring Tidal.

If that for the higher rate premium tier? Or just prefer the interface?

17. Stereosound

Good question. The interface isn't that bad(a little slow if your collection is big though) Hopefully it's for the HiFi tier...

18. Stereosound

19. DML71

DML71 Well-Known Member

oops i didn't spot that the 'premium' tier is actually the standard one. Pesky marketing.

20. Stereosound

21. Stereosound

22. Stereosound

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Don't complain, you are listening to it for FREE, the radio is free and look at how many ads they run. Pandora only recently upped their basic monthly subscription from $3/mo. to $4/mo. for their continuing subscribers. For new subscriber's it went up to $5/mo.

All your major players, have huge libraries and yet, people find a reason to pick out that they don't have this artist or that artist. So either listen to something that they do have, or just buy the CD and rip a file to your player. Problem solved.

Metro PCS was acquired already by T-Mobile, which is now merging with Sprint.

I know that over a year ago, Metro had an option (you had to be on their $45/mo plan, or it might have been their $35/mo. plan), where you could have unlimited streaming music and it would not count against your data plan. So you didn't have to be on an expensive "unlimited" data plan to stream, without using up your data plan.

24. Stereosound

25. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Well-Known Member

Bubbamike likes this.