Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Interesting that there's no mention of Tidal, but there is of Spotify, Apple and Amazon.

3. Stereosound

4. Stereosound

5. Stereosound

6. Stereosound

7. dolstein

dolstein Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been discussed earlier, but does anyone kniw what's happening with Spotify and lossless streaming. There were tons of rumors last year about Spotify offering a lossless tier, butnthose seem to have died down. It's frustrating that Apple Music and Spotify have yet to jump on the lossless (much less the hi res) bandwagon. At least Quobuz is finally coming to the U.S.

8. Stereosound

Hahahahaha....Spotify is becoming a joke. This has been requested over 4 years ago has received over 9,800 votes and has generated 206 pages of comments. Spotify doesn't truly care much about it's customers. [Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44... - The Spotify Community Go with Tidal or Qobuz.

Doug Walton likes this.
  9. jonwoody

jonwoody Forum Resident

I love Tidal and I am excited to check out Qobuz when it finally arrives in the states next month.

Doug Walton likes this.
  10. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I was an early Pandora user, but now am a Spotify user. I used the free Spotify version for years, but when my wife got interested in Spotify, I subscribed.

My wife adores music, and appreciates listening to music on our main system, but on her own does not like to fool around with records and cd's when she can just touch her tablet and get whatever song is on her mind.

I have always used Spotify to audition jazz albums I have read about in Downbeat or Jazztimes. Spotify has saved me a lot of money from buying albums I would not have liked. At the same time, I have spent a lot of money on new albums after listening to them on Spotify.

Spotify is not a primary or prefered listening medium for me. The quality grating after awhile. I find cd's in a $99 boom box are better sound quality than Spotify played on desk top Bose speakers. Spotify is great for auditioning, and randomly picking out songs that pop in my head.

TimM and Doug Walton like this.
  11. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

There is plenty of research to be found elsewhere so as to not hijack this thread, but you might want to try swapping out the Bose speakers for something at a comparable price point to make a more fair evaluation, with Audioengine being one example. There is not much love for Bose on the forums (except for the noise cancelling headphones), as their ability to create depth of sound is more than offset by their inability to highlight any detailed highs and lows.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have used both Pandora and Spotify through a high end audio system and I have no issues with the sound quality of either of them. Of course, my speakers are not Bose. :)

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  13. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

If my wife wants to listen to a Spotify album or curated playlist, then we'll listen to Spotify while doing other things, like cooking or hanging out and drinking or whatever, and the music is definitely just in the background. If I want to critically listen to something (in the listening room or via headphones), or if we just want to hear better quality, I switch to TIDAL.

TimM likes this.
  14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I use Pandora (free version) a lot but I mostly stream internet radio stations like KJAZZ, Jazz24, Jass Radio The Pyschomed (high bitrate), and a few others.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

I would like to see a lossless tier from Spotify. But 9,800 votes over the course of 4 years from a paying subscriber base of over 80 million, or whatever it is now, doesn't really seem like overwhelming customer demand.

16. Stereosound

Those are just the ones that know where to look and took the time to say something. Even so Spotify did take the time to experiment with it so there could of been enough initial demand to consider it.

17. chodad

chodad Forum Resident

Amazon Music Unlimited Echo plan for $3.99 per month. I just use it to hear new music and decide whether to buy the cd version. I don't have Amazon Prime so I don't know if it's the same thing, or better or inferior.

18. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Thanks. The Bose speakers have their own sound..I really like how small they are on my desk.

I plug the Bose speakers into both my PC for Spotify, and my Sony boombox for when I play cd's, so the speaker system is consistent for comparing Spotify sound vs. cd sound from a boombox. Spotify is fun, but unless it was consistently streaming at least 44/16, and there was no added compressing of dynamic range, it is hard to imagine Spotify being a primary source for music for me.

19. Stereosound

20. Stereosound

21. Stereosound

22. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

Another TIDAL outage. They starting to suck.

23. SandAndGlass

I don't use and have not used Tidal. It seems to be everyone's darling because of their higher sampling rates.

If all you do is select and play music, how are they starting to "suck", just curious.

24. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

I also noticed an outage with Tidal about an hour ago. None of my devices would connect, even with my cell service. Now it's back up. This is the second time in as many weeks that Tidal just disappears.

So they are starting to suck because you can't simply select and play music if you can't connect to their servers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. SandAndGlass

Well, I can certainly accept that definition as "starting to suck"!