Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

This is a reason I’ve held off on purchasing Roon, despite being impressed overall. They have all their eggs in the Tidal basket.

2. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

Spotify has been randomly down in the past. It could always be a simple case of maintenance or emergency bug fix do to something worse like a hack attempt but the services have come back online asap. No different than if your CD player or whatever immediately died and you had no backup player on hand to use in the meantime while the issues got fixed right?

3. Stereosound

4. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

The larger issue is that Roon has cast their lot with Tidal. With the variety of rumors about Tidal's financial health and viability, their demise would leave Roon users in the lurch. If Roon also interfaced with Deezer, Quobuz, etc., as a consumer I'd feel better about still having full use of Roon's capabilities.

5. Stereosound

Agree. Would be nice to hear an update from Tidal on their financial well being. Roon support for Qobuz info. seems murky as it seems Qobuz didn't want to give up too much to Roon but it seems that Qobuz may be working with Roon although begrudgingly. Don't know the latest on that though.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    cdash99 likes this.
  6. Stereosound

7. Stereosound

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Spotify because my brother put me on his plan for free.

9. Stereosound

10. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

11. Stereosound

12. TimM

TimM Forum Resident

13. Stereosound

Agree. Hope for a real musician for a change!!!

14. Stereosound

15. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

USA isn’t an option yet. They might be getting close though. It no longer says it’s not available on the home page. Once I log in, it’s not in the country list.

Doug Walton and 500Homeruns like this.
  17. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Well-Known Member

The link says, "...Currently available in 11 European countries, Qobuz will be launching in the United States at the end of 2018..." Guess that would mean mid-November or December.

18. Stereosound

They were supposed to have a soft open in USA in September with a hard launch this month during RMAF but it's been said that has slipped a bit. So now as it is posted later this year. Well there is only two months left so either November or December unless something else causes another delay.

cdgenarian and 500Homeruns like this.
  19. Stereosound

20. Stereosound

21. Stereosound

22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Forum Resident

Spotify - I signed up a few months ago before I left college because of the too-good-to-turn-down offer of the "$5 a month for a year deal" that included Hulu for students

And when my subscription is up I feel more than happy still paying for it at $10 a month, while it isn't lossless like Tidal, the Discover Weekly playlists are great and the selection this service has is fantastic. A great tool for discovering new music and listening on the go

23. Stereosound

24. Stereosound

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A couple of things about Pandora. Not that I care that much,but why don't they secure licensing to provide higher resolution streaming for the library that they have?

The number one issue that I have with Pandora is the repetition of the same songs over and over again. Sure, I can hear a new artist on a station and create a new station based upon that artist, but because of the similarity to the first artist, the new station plays a lot of the same material as the first station.