Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Stereosound

3. Stereosound

4. shiwo

shiwo Active Member

Got to be Spotify for the moment. And with my current desktop system I found the sound quality to be sometimes better on Spotify than on my computer using Foobar and Asio with FLAC files.

5. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

Spotify Announces $1 Billion Stock Buyback 6 Month After Going Public

It's not wise to rely on these services. Even though revenue is big, they're not capable of profitability and will probably either end up closing down like video streaming services are already doing or dramatically restricting their offerings. Whichever is the case, you're music will be gone.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: if you value music, buy it on CD. It will be yours for your lifetime.

Upstateaudio, TimM, wgriel and 3 others like this.
  6. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

They'll figure out a way to make money. Outside of the people on this forum, no one wants to go back to buying CDs.

nightstand68 and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. ClassicalCD

I don't think that is true. CDs will certainly never become a mass medium again. Anyone who values music however (a relatively small but sizable minority) will wish to safeguard it in a durable, permanent, collectible format, and only the CD satisfies those conditions.

What we see today is that technology companies do what they please, censor whomever they wish, deplatform entire countries, and generally conduct themselves like petty tyrants. Why would anyone who treasures music entrust their beloved passion to them?

wgriel likes this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

One of my sons told me I could possibly get Spotify Premium for students and as I'm taking college classes, I put in for it and got it. $5 monthly for the next year including showtime and hulu. I'll reevaluate next year. I still like the simplicity of Pandora's easier interface to create genre stations but I like I can pick albums on Spotify. Playlists? Nah. Too much work.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Which is the same reason that I have both.

10. bever70

bever70 Well-Known Member

None of them. I tried Spotify (free) for a while but I can't seem to relax listening through a whole album, I always find myself skipping tracks or switching to another album. I don't have that problem with physical media or even flac files on my nas. Most cds can be bought for peanuts nowadays and besides that, here in Belgium, you can just go to any decent library that has a huge cd collection (next to the usual books), you take about 20 cds cds with you home, listen to them and rip the ones you like if you want, all for free. I don't know if the libraries have a similar system in the US or other countries? But it is a very nice way of getting to know new music or completing your own collection (of flac files).

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Am currently using Pandora but also joined Spotify family so I could get a free Google Home mini. Only problem is I can't get anyone else in my family even remotely interested in listening on any streaming service.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I value music highly. I don't need it to be collectable though, just accessible. I hope they continue to produce CDs and vinyl for many years to come for everyone who enjoys those formats. I don't believe Big Brother is taking away our music anytime soon.

Doug Walton likes this.
  13. Stereosound

14. Stereosound

15. ClassicalCD

As I suggested earlier, video streaming services are already straining:

It's Not Just Cable: Streaming TV Growth Is Suddenly "Cratering"

This is I believe the future of music streaming as well. Be prepared either to pay much more or to lose access to a lot of your favorite music as providers slash content in an attempt to achieve profitability.

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I've noticed that Nexflix is a shell of what it once was and Amazon is partnering with with an ever increasing number of stations and removing content that was previously available on Prime to pay to view stations. When Youtube goes, we're sunk. Back to CDs, records, and tape.

17. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

I use amazon prime music, cause they keep giving me 2 or 3 months at a time free.
    otherwise I'd use something else cause the web browser music player interface is absolute garbage

18. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

Video streaming and music streaming are entirely different business models. The sky still isn't falling.

TimM and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. ClassicalCD

How do you know that? Music streaming services can't turn a profit either and resemble a pyramid scheme where continued growth is necessary to keep it running. As we see, growth comes to an end, and when it does, if you didn't have the foresight to purchase your music on CD, you'll lose access to it.

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. Stereosound

21. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Forum Resident

IMHO Spotify is a one trick pony. All they can do is music. The Giants of the IT world, Amazon, Apple, Google etc can bury Spotify by pouring profits of their other businesses into growth, easy access and lowering prices. Apple is already doing this. Apple may enter the business of music publishing so they can offer exclusive content to new customers, They can bury them easily. Anybody remember Netscape or WordPerfect in the early days of PCs.

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

Apparently we all all doomed unless we buy ****piles of CDs or records.

23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Won't ALL of our digital music be destroyed when someone sets off the EMP to end all EMPs? There's your argument for analog! ;)

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

You'll be fine with your wind up record player but everyone will sound like they are speaking really fast.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. TimM

TimM Forum Resident