Which of these is the best choice for a decent turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fleet Fox, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering which is a good choice for a decent turntable?
    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

1. An Original vintage (wooden plinth) Rega Planar 2 Deck with Goldring G1012 cartridge
    (the seller says excellent condition)
    Price = approx 300 euros

OR

2. A Rega Planar 3 (new)
    Price = approx 750 euros

OR
    3. A Technics SL-1210MK2 - 2nd hand (just been serviced with a 6 month warranty)
    Price = approx 550 euros

dpg3 likes this.
  2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

All is good provided there is no surprise with the second hand items

Fleet Fox likes this.
  3. Fleet Fox

This is the thing my wife has advised. Is it worth the risk with the 2nd hand ones? At least I more or less know what I am getting with the new Rega P3

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

In my opinion the Planar 2 is very overpriced, the Technics is also overpriced though less so, assuming it's stone cold mint, don't worry about a warranty, if everything is working properly it will likely stay working properly and they are pretty easy to fix, I'd say listen to the Rega Planar 3 and a 1210 and decide which approach you like best, or look on eBay UK and find more options at better prices.

HiFi Guy and Fleet Fox like this.
  5. Tartifless

It all depends on your knowledge of turntables and the opportunity you would have to see the 2nd hand ones running.

Maybe if you live in an area where other members of the forum live and the seller live close you could ask for someone to help you and go see the turntables with you.

But you are right, buying new offers more security and warranty.
    Moreover the P3 is better than the old P2.

somnar and Fleet Fox like this.
  6. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

The Technics is quite a bit better than the P3 and a lot better than the 2. It will probably outlive you too as they are superbly made. Maybe the arm isn't quite as good as the RB300 but it is very easy to modify, but even as it stands no contest.

forthlin, 56GoldTop, Robert C and 4 others like this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Three out of the last four 30+ year old Regas I've picked up had motor issues, the arms are worth nearly as much as the complete deck so no worries, but I'm very wary of old Rega motors these days unless I can have it running for a prolonged period before buying.

Fleet Fox likes this.
  8. Fleet Fox

Both of the 2nd hand turntables I would have to get shipped from UK to Ireland. The new Rega P3 would be from amazon.co.uk.
    However a friend of mine has put me in touch with an approved Rega dealer here in Ireland,,so I am calling him tomorrow.
    (btw The old Rega P2 has the Goldring G1012 cartridge installed,,,i have heard great things about this cartridge??)

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Depending on what you want the new Rega is most certainly capable of better sound than a 1210 Mk2 and does indeed have a lot better arm, but the Technics has that locked in pitch stability that Rega definitely lacks and a slightly more flexible arm, the Rega can handle higher end carts better as well, like I said it's more down to personal preference between the two.

Helom and Fleet Fox like this.
  10. Fleet Fox

Thank you for this. Does the the Goldring G1012 cartridge installed make a difference for the old Rega?,,,i have heard great things about this cartridge

11. Fleet Fox

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

When buying used decks always discount the value of the cart, you have no idea of the hours and a replacement stylus will cost you, I suspect the seller is including a hefty premium for the cart, unless it's brand new, it most definitely isn't worth it.

searing75, Robert C and Fleet Fox like this.
  13. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Make sure they REALLY know how to properly pack/ship the turntable from UK. It can be a real horror show when an amateur ships a turntable! (had a guy once let the metal platter come free and bounce around inside the turntable and dustcover for 1,000 miles. Trashed the tonearm and all cosmetics. Only a hammer could have made things worse!) It's always good for you to look up the manual/packing instructions so you know if there are transport screws, best way to lock down tonearm, etc.)

14. Tartifless

The cartridge when buying second-hand must be carefully checked: how many hours on it ? Close pictures of the stylus...

searing75 and Fleet Fox like this.
  15. Fleet Fox

Thanks for everyones help. Much appreciated thank you

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Technics looks well used and doesn't have the correct lid, I'd avoid it, the Rega is overpriced and the R200 isn't a Rega made arm, but a Japanese sourced one so although quite sought after by some not as good as on later Rega 2s.

Fleet Fox likes this.
  17. Fleet Fox

18. Mark broadhead

Its an ok
    Its an OK cartridge, but like everything with this game is synergy. 300 Euros is a lot for a Rega 2 IMHO - its a very basic budget deck. There are some really good decks to be had for around 500E- 600E ( your limit I presume ).

Fleet Fox and Dubmart like this.
  19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Technics doesn't have the proper rubber mat and has had the phono leads replaced, along with the worn pitch suggestions that it has been deejayed, even if in a bedroom, and not well looked after, as for the service, I suspect that was pretty superficial.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Robert C and Fleet Fox like this.
  20. Fleet Fox

21. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I'd get the Technics. I opened a thread about some advices on buying used SL1210 online, do a little research and you'll find it.

If you don't want to risk buying an used turntable you can try the Pioneer PLX-1000.

EDIT: here's the thread:
    How safe is to buy an old Technics SL1210 online?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Dubmart likes this.
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well OP, I just checked eBay.Ireland and there are about 3 decks worth considering and I wouldn't buy any of them, likewise Richer Sounds Ireland has a very limited choice so I can totally see that to get a decent choice at a decent price eBay.UK is your best bet. I think your shortlist is fine, it's just your specific choices aren't quite right, my advice is to be patient and check eBay regularly, I'm more than happy to take a look at anything if you want a second opinion, I wish I had an old Rega or 1210 to sell you at a fair price, but I only have a Pioneer PL12D spare at the moment.

Fleet Fox likes this.
  23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

1 or 3.

1 - for the deck, which is very tweakable. However, it also comes with the excellent Goldring 1012 GX cartridge. Also depends, of course, on how many hours it has on it.

3 - because TECHNICS!

Fleet Fox likes this.
  24. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

technics, granted its in great shape.

Mine are 30+ years old, and still flawless, start/stop every time. no worries at all. they are a solid player.
    youtube removal of plate under platter, drop of oil, clean spindle of old oil, add fresh, your good for 20 years. LOTS of great cartridges for that one. i use ortofon exclusively, as i love the slip on ones, less *** to deal with.
    plug & play.
    arkiv and nightclub II
    stanton groove master spherical i use also. some good choices out there. enjoy

McLover and punkmusick like this.
  25. Mark broadhead

If your patient some real bargains come up on e bay uk. Missed a mint Townshend Rock with arm for £ 400.00 recently. Now that is real high end sound. But I have too many decks already.

Fleet Fox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.