Which of these is the best choice for a decent turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fleet Fox, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

If I knew for a fact the Technics was in perfect shape I could recommend it as an easy to use and robustly built machine. But I’d strongly prefer the Planar 3 new over that particular Technics table for sound and performance overall. I say this as someone who bought an SL1200 Mk II new 30 yrs ago and struggled with it for five years trying to get decent music out of it before selling it off and buying a new Planar 2 in 1993. That was a huge jump in musical performance and was my main table for over 20 yrs.

I remember writing to Stereophile magazine in 1991 and inquiring why they hadn’t ever reviewed the SL1200. I was hoping they would and then I would know if their listening tests mirrored my experience with that table or if they’d found a way to get it to sound right and track right etc. The reply I got back was basically that they didn’t think a DJ table review would be of interest to their readers and it wasn’t a particularly HiFi product to begin with.

punkmusick and Fleet Fox like this.
  2. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Fleet Fox likes this.
  3. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

4. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's the UK dealer used one on ebay. Turntable, cartridge, phono mini and postage = 600 pounds = 694 euros
    Vs
    Irish Dublin dealer in Blackrock = 625 pounds for the Turntable with cartridge = 717 euros. But in fairness I have not asked them for a discount or a package
    deal with the phono included. Part of me wants to support the Irish dealer.
    What do you think? I am not far of jumping in here lol

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

You need to make sure both are talking about the same cartridge and not different ones, if both dealers are talking about the Elys 2 then the English seller is saving you over 100 Euros plus your time and petrol to drive to Dublin, that's a very, very good deal.

Fleet Fox likes this.
  6. Fleet Fox

After reading all the posts I think in my situation the best and safest option for me at this time is the P3.

I really like the Technics also I know it is a great turntable.

The only thing that is actually putting me off is that the 'new' P3's (and in fact all newer turntables) is that they look very 'clinical' and 'cold'.
    For example I have been looking at a Pioneer turntable and I just love the way it looks, i mean that vintage look. But it's a personal preference.
    All said though my gut feeling is the P3 it's just getting it at a fair price in one piece.

As a sidenote, one of the things as a vinyl lover and music lover that I am appalled by is the mass production of these low budget plastic
    turntables pieces of junk, with those generic 'red' cartridges, that places like Harvey Norman, Soundstore, etc., are pumping out to people
    calling them good turntables when that is far from the reality. I know was suckered into it 9 months ago. It's pretty sad how few dealers
    of decent turntables there are here in Ireland. It's like the quality control has gone out the window and these products are been pumped out
    to a mass market because of new interest in vinyl

dpg3 likes this.
  7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I agree, if it's the same cartridge. I've dealt with Lintone (the ebay seller) twice now, recently for some (used but as new) speakers which were shipped from Newcastle/Gateshead to London and arrived next day, beautifully re-packaged, with a full 2 year warranty. BTW they are open to haggling over the phone, which you can do as you are buying more than the deck. I'd have no reservations about buying from them. But as Dubmart says check the cart is the Elys 2 and will be or is pre-fitted. Hope that helps.

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You will be well served by supporting your local dealer. Ask them for a specific quote on the P3/Elys/Mini as well as the P3/Elys/Fono MM, the latter being perhaps the last money you'll need to spend on the analog end. Once you see the new Planar 3 in person, you'll likely find it a very nice looking deck. It's super simple and super reliable. It's also perhaps the most intuitive deck to operate that I have used. Its ergonomics and simplicity make it a pleasure to operate. Sonically, it's also hard to beat without sinking some serious cash into it all. All that with local support, and you've got a very nice package. You'll also get to hear some of the Rega tables connected to some really nice amps, speakers, etc while you are there. That'll get you familiar with what the potential is and the purchase will get you off on the right foot for future dealings with them when and if you think about a speaker upgrade, etc.
    -Bill

9. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

10. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

Customer service is not the same in Eire and Uk as it is in the states, I know having lived in all 3 countries. The USA retailers look after their clients and will scratch their heads with the purchaser and work with them until everything’s right.
    If a ‘deal’ is done in Eire or the UK, and the dealers margin is compromised they want nothing, and I repeat, nothing to do with any after-sales foibles or queries! Trust me Fleet, it’s either pay full price and be crooned over or, if you scr*w their margins, you’ll be as welcome as a wet f**t if you come back in asking for the dealer to sort your issues.

I point this out as I am gleaning from your posts that you’re a novice on proper set up of a decent turntable.

11. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

DUCK! May God have mercy on your soul. :yikes:

Helom and dpg3 like this.
  12. dpg3

dpg3 Forum Resident

I'm using the Thorens TD-320 in my main system right now and it is the least fatiguing turntable I have used, the sound is amazing. I got lucky with the Technics, they usually go for $400-500 dollar range around here and at times much more. I agree with the "clinical" design of the newer TT, which doesn't interest me at all.
    I think it's great to have more than one TT and I really like the look of that Rega Planar 2 and the Goldring G1012 cartridge is a definite plus. Just get the wife something nice at the same time, lol!!
    If I could only buy one, it would have to be the Technics, you'll never regret it.

13. dpg3

dpg3 Forum Resident

Agreed, I have a 1200Mk2 and a Thorens TD-320.

56GoldTop likes this.
  14. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Cool, I have a TD-320 too, though mine is modified quite a bit, not too many of us around here, one of the few belt drive tables that came with a built-in 2-phase motor controller. Be fun to see some pictures ... The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

56GoldTop and dpg3 like this.
  15. dpg3

dpg3 Forum Resident

From what I've read seems like your set on the Rega Planner 3 and there's nothing wrong with that. But if I may suggest another avenue. You said you just got back into vinyl and bought one of those crappy Crosley's or other such turntables. They are junk and you are wise to get something better but it doesn't have to be the Rega 3 or even a Technics SL-1200 Mk2. My first table when I got back into vinyl was the Technics SL-23(that I still have and will never sell) with an ADC-XLM-Mk lll cartridge and a new Vivid Line stylus that I put on it. The combination to my ears still sounds quite amazing, I think it's the ADC cart that really improves the sound. Total cost Canadian was $200 or 128.47 EUR plus the phono mini. My point is why not try out a much more reasonable price TT. You can always upgrade later, like I and many others have done but without spending a lot of cash right now.

punkmusick likes this.
  16. dpg3

dpg3 Forum Resident

Your TD-320 looks amazing, I really enjoy the 320, it's sounds, looks great and is not fatiguing at all. They rarely come up for sale here in Halifax, bought mine about a year ago.

17. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, they don't come up much on the used market, and when they do, they are really expensive. I've had mine since new, but don't know how many are out there, I would've expected to see more. I know there have been occasional problems in the controller reported, but it's usually just the opamps, and about any modern opamp can be used in the circuit, I have different ones in mine.

dpg3 likes this.
  18. dpg3

dpg3 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I paid $300 cdn for mine, had a bit of work done on it but not much. It's the only one I've ever seen for sale here. Haven't had any problem with the "controller" so far.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Davey likes this.
  19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

For all those making perfectly valid suggestions can I point out that the OP is based in Ireland, land of almost no choice in used record decks, when I looked the only used decks available even worth considering were a SL-1210 and an Ariston, no decent cheap Japanese decks, no Thorens, no Duals, no Regas, no Pro-Jects and absolutely nothing high end, even his new options are very limited so pretty much anything outside of the Rega will have to be imported sight unseen with all the associated risks and lack of support.

20. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I would definitely go with a Rega from a dealer. I’ve owned Technics turntable and I have an old P3 at my business. Technics is no Rega when it comes to sound quality. It is built to last and stand up to DJ use.

KT88 likes this.
  21. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

No need to duck.

We all need to get to a place where we can accept each other's preference(s) without bashing the products, rehashing proven lies and defamations against someone's character.

It comes down to this. The OP is about to get a new vinyl spinner and enjoy the music it plays. Hallelujah!! We've given our recommendations. Great. We should all be extremely happy regardless of which vinyl spinner is picked. And, when it's all said and done, the OP should head over to LTOV and join the fun.

Fleet Fox and Dubmart like this.
  22. Fleet Fox

Hi Everyone I have decided on the Rega P3 from a Rega dealer on ebay, which was offered at a fair price packaged with a Fono....

Now my dilemma is to choose between a Rega Fono Mini (89 pounds) Vs Rega Fono MM (199 pounds)...

Which would you guys recommend? I have only an hour or so to make up my mind!!

Thanks in advance

Night Rider likes this.
  23. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Get the Fono MM. It's a seriously good unit.
    -Bill

Fleet Fox likes this.
  24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

+1. If you can afford it get the Fono MM. I traded up after hearing both on an RP3. You can genuinely tell the difference. The Mini is good though, if you are really stretched. If you are going for the Lintone Audio one push hard on the phono price.

Fleet Fox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.