Which Rabin-led Yes album is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stodgers, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

It's one of my favourite songs, and I don't think it's just because it's long...Real Love is another good one.

Rufus rag likes this.
  2. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

90125 is my favorite Yes and I think a logical progression from Drama which I like a lot but not as much as Album, Fragile and Close to the edge. Big Generator I liked a lot upon realize, but tired of quickly. Like 6 months quickly. So quickly I never gave Talk a listen to. I will rectify that now.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Real Love is my 2nd fav. I just don't think Endless Dream sounds at all like Yes apart from the voice.

4. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

90125 simply has the best songs of the bunch and a killer production.
    It's a co...It's a co...It's a co...It's a constant fight...

And Hearts to me is a better "epic" than Endless dream (even if it is just half as long).

lee59 likes this.
  5. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Big Generator

6. Agree. Endless Dream is a hodge-podge. The instrumental opening is awesome...but then it kind of fizzles.

7. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

'Hearts' is one of my favorite Yes songs ever!

Agree...song for song, 90125 has the edge.

Talk is still pretty great, but it sounds like a Trevor Rabin/Jon Anderson album. "Real Love" is the highlight for me.

BG could have been a lot more interesting if it had more in the vein of 'Final Eyes' and 'Im Running' and less of 'Love Will Find A Way' and 'Almost Like Love'.

8. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident Thread Starter

Um... The majority of 90125 was from Rabin demos. He took over and finished production on Big Generator. He wrote all of Talk, with pretty much only Anderson involved, and produced and recorded it himself with other members' contributions added in.

He was definitely in control of the band, as constituted, during this timeframe.

Crungy, jay.dee, 100423 and 6 others like this.
  9. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

90125 or Talk depending on which one I listened to most recently. So as I played it on Monday it's 90125!!!

stodgers likes this.
  10. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Yes owe him a lot for keeping the brand alive in the 80's.

11. :agree:

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, I can't imagine anything but 90125 is going to get many votes. 90125 was a huge album for the band and caused a resurgence for Yes in terms of popularity. I really like Big Generator a lot, but it's not of the same ilk as its predecessor.

13. stodgers

I opened the thread and didn't comment or vote, because for me it is too close to call on all three. I would rank them 1a, 1b, 1c. :)

1a. Talk
    1b. 90125
    1c. Big Generator

For me, each of these albums has what I could consider to be one of the best Yes songs from this era: Changes, Shoot High Aim Low, The Calling. They are all somewhat inconsistent as overall albums, and I often forget what other songs are on one album vs. the others. But only BG has one truly bad song: Almost Like Love, which IMO does not belong on a Yes album. I put Talk first because I think when I pop this album in, I have no desire to turn it off. The other albums tend to meander a bit and are less adventurous.

So that's my take. Today. :)

ytserush and GodShifter like this.
  14. zen

zen Senior Member

Love 'em all. Voted Talk, because lately, I'm diggin' it. :thumbsup:

Carlox and Rufus rag like this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

"Shoot Him Aim Low" seems like a rather nasty order :D ;)

stodgers likes this.
  16. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I really enjoy Big Generator (and Talk), but 90125 made me a Yes fan.

DiabloG and Rufus rag like this.
  17. progmog

progmog Senior Member

'Talk' . One of Yes's best albums - right up there with the classics ('Fragile', Close To The Edge'....etc.)

Carlox, Rufus rag and willy like this.
  18. stodgers

Quick, but not quick enough - I edited that!! Was thinking 'aim' before I even finished the word 'high'! :)

GodShifter likes this.
  19. I agree with all of this, except it doesn’t mean he was “in control of the band.” He was given free reign for a time, sure.

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It doesn't sound like they're on this song to me. The only track that sounds to me like all five guys are playing on it is "The Calling."

stodgers likes this.
  21. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Love Will Find A Way and Shoot High, Aim Low are excellent songs from Big Generator. I know Rhythm of Love fits in there as well, but that one's not a particular favorite of mine.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I agree, they are more audible there. That one slipped my mind. That is the one you can really hear Kaye, not State of Play.

23. stodgers

Okay, if you want to split hairs.

Blue Note likes this.
  24. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

BG for me! Rhythm of Love is my Yes guilty pleasure. :hide:

25. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

It's worth it. Took me ages to buy it and almost as long to stop playing it when I did.

90125 almsot sums the 1980s in production terms. Amazing that a band with Yes's past could sound so vibrant and modern. I think the production is the thing that really dates the album.

willy, stodgers and Fishoutofwater like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.