Which receiver is "better"?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ironchefchris, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironchefchris

ironchefchris Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have 2 older receivers I've used forever but have decided to just use one as my main and pass the other one to someone who might put it to use.

I have my dad's old 1970s-ish MCS 3223 (made in Taiwan). It's in ok shape. It needs a fuse holder for the left channel so it can run in stereo, but other than that, it seems to work well but could use a good cleaning. It definitely is the cooler looking and warmer sounding of the two.

The other has been my main hub for going on 15 yrs now, it's an inherited 90s era? RCA PA120 (Japan). I can't find much info online and have no idea if these were desirable units. It supports Dolby which I think was a big deal when it came out. It came in a huge component set with a cabinet, tuner, CD changer, and tape deck but all the other pieces have slowly vanished or been thrown out over the years. It has a nice Para EQ slider set on the front and has more features for sure. It sounds great but not necessarily better than the MCS. It's also in good shape.

I'm only running a tuner, turntable, and the aux input for ipod/phone.

Anyone have any opinions on either of these units? Info online is sparse to say the least...

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Let your ears be your guide. Not familiar with those sorry.

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'd keep the RCA.

Manimal likes this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd keep the MCS but definitely fix the broken fuse holder before using it.
    -Bill

5. harby

harby Forum Resident

MCS - looks good on the outside, el-cheapo 70s on the inside, 22 watts per channel:

The RCA is 120 WPC, new enough to have surround sound, and probably doesn't need re-capping or troubling work. RCA is the keeper, sell the other to hipster fans of subpar 70's silver boxes.

6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Haha! The fuses man:) funny video

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.