Which records did you regret buying?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

You thought it's something and it came out to be something else,
    and/or you bought an album in favor for one particular single, where all the rest were unbearable.

Crimson Witch and Dodoz like this.
  2. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

I bought the Beck Bogert & Appice debut on the reputation of the players. An abomination.

3. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Hm. Well, most of my regrets came earlier in my life, when my teenage/young 20s financial situation made every purchase important to get right.

But here's a regret: Art Blakey, the great jazz drummer, has more than one album titled A Night in Tunisia! One of them (on Blue Note) quite famous, another (on Bluebird) rather less so. I saw the Bluebird remastered and picked it up, presuming it was the the Blue Note... and then was disappointed to discover my error.

Another case: Conductor Günther Wand has more than one recording of Beethoven's 3rd symphony; the studio version was quite well regarded. Naturally, I picked up the concert recording by mistake. That one still bites. I wonder if I still have that one...

And then there have been a slew of CDs I picked up on the strength of their critical reputation, only to find that my tastes differed from the critical consensus. But that's less of a disappointment to me: now I have a more informed opinion about this or that album. And I might return to it in later years and find a more appreciative attitude. So, it's all good.

mschrist, Jarleboy, Siegmund and 2 others like this.
  4. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Power, Corruption & Lies by New Order. Not a bad record but a huge letdown from Movement. After this they were just another 80s synth band.

5. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

6. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Beatles reissues. The original recordings were fine.

WMTC, vmajewsk, bherbert and 17 others like this.
  7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Not me, but one person I know bought a copy of country singer John Anderson's Eye of a Hurricane LP, presuming it to be another solo album from on-again, off-again Yes lead singer Jon Anderson (as you can guess, that person is a huge Yes fan, even having some of Anderson's work with Vangelis). Once he heard the record, though, he realized his error.

8. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

Styx - The Grand Illusion

I'd liked a couple of their earlier records well enough and friends told me it was "a keeper."

Played it once. I guess by 1977 my tastes had moved on.

Dog Ear and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  9. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

The Sensual World.
    The Red Shoes.

Then I just gave up. Sigh.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

K-Tel Records..... :D

11. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

oh too many to mention:)
    Ric Ocasek Beatitude was it? horrible.
    Cars Door To Door
    Chicago At Carnegie Hall..bought when new, loved the packaging and price, hated the music but was becoming a huge Chicago fan anyway,
    Stones Emotional Rescue
    Frampton I'm In You (embarrassing)
    I'm going to stop before I have nightmares.

VinylSoul, Citrus, Geordie777 and 6 others like this.
  12. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I looked here and Amazon for reviews of the Yes Progeny release. I was looking for a great sounding release from the Yessongs era. I have that one on vinyl and everything else to try to find a good sounding perfomance. So, here comes Progeny. Most reviews I read were extremely positive on the sound quality. I only bought the two disc set. I was just not as wowed as some have been on the sound quality of the performances. My stereo gear is listed. I listened to it a couple of different times. I am so disappointed. I now still listen to my Yessongs vinyl. To me, still the best sounding, and that isn't saying a bunch.

It is kind of like trying to find a quality sounding Welcome Back My Friends to the Show Never Ends. Here is hoping Steve Wilson will try to remix that one.

Dog Ear, vegafleet, ben_wood and 2 others like this.
  13. br6388

br6388 Forum Resident

Ted Nugent - Free For All

I want my $3.99 back! :cussing:

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Graham Parker and the Rumour - The Parkerilla. An effective contract-killer which also killed my interest in the artist.

Rickchick and Fullbug like this.
  15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

:shrug:First two albums from the Men I liked immensely. The third was no charm.

Men At Work--Two Hearts--1985

Didn't like the single much played on the local FM station but figured I would buy the album and it would grow on me playing it a few times.
    Listened to it once while taping it to cassette. Needless to say after that taping I never bothered to listen to the vinyl or cassette ever again.

Mind you this was on the release day of the album April 23rd 1985 31 years ago and counting maybe I'll listen to that vinyl if I still have it or the cassette, now I know I don't have that... lol...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  16. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I managed to buy the Quadrophenia film soundtrack album instead of The Who album. Stupid boy.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

:shake:
    That's a big time bummer.

18. Jerrvonkramer

Jerrvonkramer Well-Known Member

I regret buying Quadrophenia itself.

19. It has its moments.

20. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

It has some off bits for sure. But Moonie's drumming on "Drowned" ... I couldn't live without that! My fave KM drumming.

21. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

I haven't heard it in ages, but I thought it was a fun record.

22. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I had to have been 8 years old at the time and I was a huge fan of the show Greatest American Hero. I really wanted a copy of the theme song but I didn't know the name of the song or the artist. One day I rifled through the entire, quite sizable 45 section of a Kings (could've been an Ames) department store in Springfield Vermont until I stumbled upon a likely possibility: "Believe It Or Not" by James Taylor.

23. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

He priced it right, and you overpaid. That's on you.

o_O

24. Jerrvonkramer

Jerrvonkramer Well-Known Member

My real answer to this is probably when I paid something like £22.99 to get Snoop Dogg's Ths Game is To Be Sold, Not to be Told on import some time in the late 90s.

Complete waste of money.

Extract, limoges, pinkrudy and 3 others like this.
  25. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Iggy pop" tv Eye"-live contractual obligation release. Legend has it Iggy owed his record company own last lp, so the gave him 90k to produce. He went to Germany with lousy soundboard recordings and cut it for 6k, pocketing the rest. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.