Which Sgt.Pepper pressings have the infamous run-out groove?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrRom92, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

If your looking for a UK stereo Parlophone early seventies I have a couple that are spot on sound wise and would imagine they have the concentric groove with the loop. If interested contact me. NM condition. Also have the Y/B first pressings for a lot of money,but for what you are looking for you have to spend a lot of money to get a NM first pressing... I would be curious how many people could tell an early seventies stereo from the 67 original? By the by. I am one of the unfortunate people to own a 4002 B&O and it wont track all the way. DONT EVER BUY ONE ... Manual is better ...

2. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The original Japanese Stereo red wax pressing has the same run out groove noise that stops after a couple of rotations

I believe this is correct.

3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

great info people! one thing i have always wondered is why some copies are unbanded. any info?

4. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I think it's because originally, when the album was released, The Beatles wanted people to listen to the whole thing as a single piece of music -- you know, the concept album thing.

I've seen quite a number of LPs, particularly Parlophones from 1967, that are unbanded as well. Also some from other labels. These albums often had segues between songs, which bugs the hell out of me know when I do needledrops and try to insert track breaks...

If I recall correctly, original first presses of The Hollies "Butterfly" album weren't banded, I don't think John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers "Bare Wires" nor "Blues From Laurel Canyon" (on UK Decca) were banded, I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think some copies of The Rolling Stones "Their Satanic Majesties Request" may have been unbanded, also The Moody Blues "Days Of Future Passed" and "In Search Of The Lost Chord", The Who's "The Who Sell Out"...

I'm sure there are others.

Dale

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

IIRC, the original cutting directions included the phrase, "No rills."

6. MrRom92

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaXnqw-Zv0Y

this video seems to protray a mono first UK pressing, unbanded
    but it doesnt actually loop continuously, it fades out after a while

this is, to me, a big WTF.

WTF?

7. MLutthans

The fade was done for the video. The groove being played is just a big circle. In theory, somebody putting the record on in June of 1967 could have let it play and it would still be going today, endlessly. (Talk about groove wear!)

8. MrRom92

okay i hope this is the case lol because if i have to start looking into pressings that run through and fade out, and ones that actually loop, i will go mad. lmao

9. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Forum Resident

I'm quite sure I got the idea from this forum, or Steve's old DCC forum, long ago. Anyway, it isn't original with me. Who knows what we will get? We'll find out 999, or a 2nd day air shipment later!

By the way, the straight snippet of the "Edit For LP End" as it appears on the old USA Rarities LP... I dunno. It was interesting to hear it that way, but it seems to need looping if it's to be used at all.

Can't wait to hear it!

Cheers,
    Doug

10. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

The copy from my Blue Box has both the tone
    and the blabber that is in the locked groove.

I know the tone is there as I can hear it.

Matrix reads:

side one - yex 637-3 there's a small -1 at the 8:30 position
    stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

side two - yex 638-4

The sleeve for this particular record has the EMI House, 20 Manchester Dr
    etc. at the bottom, with no date of manufacture.

This is from a BB that has varying designations on the inner sleeves.
    10/78 is what I found while just looking at the "beatles":.

The Box, it's an old one; smells odd too.

Regarding the tone.

Have a listen when you have it quiet, and
    turn off your speakers. Get really close to
    your TT and you'll hear something that
    sounds like tape squeal.

11. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

The Beatles were the inventors of the present day looper! ;)

To confirm: I just checked my single album Sgt Pepper MFSL release (i.e. NOT in the box) and it does have a bit of the famous message in the run out groove.

12. MLutthans

The tone was not on any master tape, at least not originally. It was manually added during the cutting process.

13. omegaman

omegaman Forum Resident

I was worried, I thought it was my ear's ;)

14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

The Moody Blues' 'On The Threshold Of A Dream' isn't banded either. The Moodies must have had a fear of rills. Now I think about it, I'm sure the vinyl version of Macca's 'Unplugged' isn't banded. As with side 2 of 'Abbey Road'.

15. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

My Indian stereo Y&B YEX 637-1 YEX 638-1 has this runout groove and 15 k tone. My UK stereo 2-Box YEX 637-2 YEX 638-2 not.

Btw, my opinion is that on 1987 CD they use this tone from LP, because it have a lot of vinyl clicks.

16. ronankeane

ronankeane Forum Resident

My German Apple copy has it.

This copy has a sticker on the front saying "Die Echte Sgt Pepper" which I think means "The original/genuine Sgt Pepper." I was a bit puzzled by that until I remembered that Bee Gees / Frampton monstrosity from the late 70s. I guess they felt the need to distinguish the original LP.

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The MoFi box set Sgt Pepper didn't have the 15kHz tone or the chatter. It was remastered for the individual album release. The original cutting of this was quite a challenge as the endless loop was supposed to start at just the right moment - i.e. when the stylus hit the final locked groove. It took a few cuts to get it right IIRC.

18. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I've always heard "Whenever Lucy's happy"... something or other, when played forwards (a tie-in to Lucy in the Sky, I assumed). Perhaps the reverse explains what makes Lucy tick :)

19. MrRom92

i never really superman bit but once i noticed it it stuck out and i can hear it clear as day now lol

20. MrRom92

*noticed the

21. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

My German Blue Odeon label has it too. Sounds much better BTW than the "Echte Sgt. Pepper" which my wife contributed to our collection. :)

22. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I have a very dinged up Taiwan pressing (red vinyl as well) that has the tone and run-out groove.

23. The one my Mum bought in 1988 (now LONG gone) was a black label pre-remaster Australian copy and it had the run-out groove EXACTLY how and where it should be! I dunno how long the engineer stayed up that night to cut it right but they did!

Actually, now that I think about it although the shop she bought it from had a lot of old stock, I can not say for certain that it was a pre-remaster. I was only 9 when she got it and 11 when we lost it. But the remastered copy I have on LP now, the whole inner-groove bit starts way, way too early - as in the tone arm hasn't even left the area for "A Day In The Life" let alone heading toward the run-out groove!

24. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

Some additions:

The German Odeon SHZE 401 with the white-golden label and red Hörzu logo (issued in 1967) doesn´t have it.

The Odeon SHZE 401 with the blue label and black Hörzu logo (issued in 1969) has it.

The EMI Odeon 1C 062-04 177 with the blue label (also issued in 1969) has it.

The EMI Apple 1C 072-04 177 (issued in 1977) also has it.

25. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Now this is strange, Sheik Yerbouti. I bought a copy of the German Apple 1C 072-04 177 not too long ago and I'm sure it had it. Then I accidentally threw it out in a clear-out of dud records. (Yes, I know.) Because I liked the pressing so much, I bought another German Apple 1C 072-04 177 to replace it. But this one definitely does not have it. You just hear the gibberish once before the run-off groove even begins, then silence.

I'm really disappointed because otherwise the pressing is perfect for my tastes. Question is, do I keep buying more copies of the same pressing until I find one that has it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.