Which Should I Get First?, 10 Obscure Prog Gems

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenalishi, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The PFM album is pretty good, but lacked any wow factor for me. Good background music, at best.

I am unfamiliar with the others.

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm only familiar with Rockpommel's Land and the English-language version of PFM's Photos of Ghosts.

Rockpommel's Land, along with its predecessor Jumbo and its follow-up Merry-go-Round are all pretty good. The first track off Rockpommel's Land, Ernie's Reise, is wonderfully pretty. The band go for a light and frothy guitar-based sound rather than thick keyboards, as a rule. I sometimes call Come On People, the first track off Merry-go-Round, the best progressive rock song, as opposed to progressive pop.

Personally I thought The World Became the World, the English-language follow-up to Photos of Ghosts, was the better LP, pretty much impeccable from end to end.

Also recommend Garden Shed by England if you're not already familiar with it ...

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Quiet Sun :
    • Mainstream (1975)

(good luck)

Van der Graaf Generator :
    • The Aerosol Grey Machine (1969)
    • The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other (1970)
    • H to He, Who Am the Only One (1970)
    • Pawn Hearts (1971)
    • Godbluff (1975)
    • Still Life (1976)

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

I'd recommend the Quiet Sun album, because it is (I think) Charle Hayward's recorded debut. And you get to hear him singing the immortal line "Meanwhile I'll just stay at home, and listen to Schoenberg in the bath".

Greenalishi likes this.
  5. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

Curved Air Second album, which for me is the best and most consistent of the three albums made by the original line-up (bass players not withstanding as they changed for each album). Not sure I would consider them obscure though, the first three albums made top 20 in the UK and Back Street Love made no 4 in the singles chart - and of course they're still out there touring and putting out new material, although Sonja is the only original left.

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. Nicky Garratt

Nicky Garratt Active Member

Look's like we are on the say page. I talked to the guy's from Gnidrolog a couple years or so back to see if they wanted to come over to the US. The twins do play in a punk band, (The Pork Dukes), but Lady Lake is a fine album. T2, Ash Ra are also great. I've been listening to Arti & Mestieri a lot lately and regret not putting them on my Guitar Player list. Tilt is a masterpiece and from the look of your taste you would really enjoy it (1971) the 2nd album is also fantastic "Giro di valor domain" - Nicky Garratt

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. Nicky Garratt

I put Curved Air in because they are not as well know here in the USA, but of course you are correct. Guitar Player actually came up with the "Obscure" header.

Greenalishi likes this.
  8. Nicky Garratt

Pawn Hearts is a masterpiece. - Nicky Garratt

9. btbaggers

btbaggers Member

Great suggestions here. Personally, I'd recommend the Gong Radio Gnome Trilogy- I splurged a bit to buy them on vinyl and well worth it. Angel's Egg my fav.

Greenalishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.