Which solo Beatles albums are better than actual Beatles albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

It is an acquired taste, I'd say to be truly top tier, like the Beatles best albums, it needs to be loved by the general public as much the critics.

If it was not for the hype I'm not sure I would have given it as many listens as i have, it is something that I appreciate rather than actually love.

Mkirk likes this.
  2. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

Credit to the writer of this for actually listening to all those Ringo albums - I didn't realise he'd done so many!

3. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Let's not get carried away, it's undeniably documented many, many times over... The Beatles are the absolute greatest group in the entire history of popular music!

4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

If one's favorite Beatle is John I can't see how.
    It's everything about Lennon you always knew or sensed.
    Had he titled POB just"Lennon" as his debut solo album it would have sold just off the name initially and it would have had the commercial and critical success from jump.
    Having the word Ono in the title more than likely deterred millions then and probably a lot over following decades.
    Imagine is what many have always thought was his regular debut solo album.
    All of my favorite Beatles John material is his melancholy or anger/frustrated or dark tracks.
    In My Life, I'm A Loser, Yer Blues, Nowhere Man, Baby's In Black, Hide Your Love Away, Help, Cry Instead, Run For Your Life, Can't Do That, I'm So Tired, Strawberry Fields, Julia...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    GimmieSomeTruth likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Shaved Fish and Wings Greatest are still not able to top a Beatles album. But they are chock full of killer singles. Singles that sometimes top a Beatles single. Not often but once in a while.

6. Price.pittsburgh

So you're saying that Shaved Fish and Wings Greatest have some singles that are better than some Beatles singles but as a whole they aren't as good as some Beatles albums with obvious filler and covers?

7. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I think they are on the same level as let it be

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes indeed.

9. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Venus and Mars.

10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I wouldn't say that- I think what @quicksrt is getting at is, with an album like Shaved Fish, say, you've got "Instant Karma" on there which is a single easily on par with The Beatles' singles, whereas you've also got stuff like "Woman Is The N-word Of The World" which certainly isn't comparable to an actual Beatles single.

IMO as solo artists they put out quite a few singles that could stand alongside The Beatles' material but not so many albums themselves.

11. Price.pittsburgh

I wouldn't give up any Beatles album for a solo but there are a few solo projects with better production and songs throughout than some Beatles.
    Just like lots of artists have better albums than some Beatles albums.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah Instant Karma and Imagine, maybe Maybe I'm Amazed.

Sure!

13. Trelayne

Trelayne Well-Known Member

nope

14. Price.pittsburgh

I'm just saying I Wanna Be Your Man and Hold Me Tight for example, aren't as good as plenty of solo songs.
    For me, as I've stated already, Plastic Ono Band and Band On The Run are two of the greatest albums by any artist of any genre ever.
    They are recognized as such by many a critic and music fan.
    It's no different than asking if all Beatles albums are better than Who's Next by The Who or Sticky Fingers by The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin II or IV.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I hear Band on the Run as a slightly patchy affair. Not all stunners like those other albums you mention. But if you think so then good.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What is Life is a great tune, a fantastic single.

It Don't Come Easy is better than Jet or Juniors Farm, or Mind Games. Ringo really got a great break with this magical hit!

These two are equal to some Fab hits.

17. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

I'll be in prison soon and can only have 10 albums with me. )I can choose from The Beatles and solo Beatles discography.

The original Beatles albums showed this incredible developement, but perhaps Abbey Road was so much McCartney that I could just as well have one of his solo albums. My choice would be:

Please Please Me
    A Hard Day's Night
    Beatles for Sale (I'm a looser!)
    Help! (could't live without Ticket to Ride)
    Rubber Soul
    Revolver
    Sgt. Pepper
    Magical Mystery Tour
    The White
    Band on the Run (I plan to make a Jailbreak - and when I do, I will certainly listen to Thin Lizzy)

18. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

Rubber Soul
    Revolver
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    The Beatles
    Abbey Road
    All Things Must Pass
    Plastic Ono Band
    Let It Be
    Imagine
    Help!

19. Price.pittsburgh

Beatles For Sale is pretty patchy and so is the White Album.
    Songs aren't automatically better just because it's the Beatles.
    Not saying you're saying that but a lot of people tend to act that way.

20. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Ram, Band on the Run, Mind Games, Venus & Mars, Cloud 9, and Ringo are on par with several Beatles albums but there are none better.

21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I prefer Ringo's self titled solo album (Photograph etc) and Macca's "Ram" to "Beatles for Sale"...

prefer Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band," "Imagine" and "Walls and Bridges" and Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" and S/T (1979) to "Beatles for Sale" and "Let it Be" at the very least.

(FWIW, I'm not counting "Yellow Submarine," which I don't consider to be a "Beatles album")

22. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

All things must pass is better than the first 5 beatles albums, Let it be and Yellow Submarine

Ram is better than YS and BFS.

Imagine beats PPM, WTB, BFS, YS, LIB

BrentB likes this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

None of 'em

blutiga and DTK like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, only Plastic One Band.
    John was shellshocked into delivering this masterpiece.
    After that all four's work was plagued by their individual indulgences that the band democracy kept in check.
    Paul - lightweight nonsense written on pot, inability to judge his material
    John - empty sloganeering
    George - bitterness, spiritual smugness and musical conservatism
    Ringo - well he has a good nose, he should just not sing with it

a customer and Hermes like this.
  25. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

I am not a huge fan of the word 'better' because different albums have different feels and different vibes.
    If you look at an 'album' as a collection of 'singles' then that is one thing. If you look at it as a collection of songs
    that create a certain feeling/vibe well that is another thing. A certain song might not be the best
    song in the world but it might just perfectly fit on the album to make it a better listening
    experience...

This is why in my opinion Abbey Road is the best Beatles album. Song for Song Revolver and/or Rubber Soul might
    be better but as an 'Album' Abbey Road has the medley on side 2 which rises it way above the 'norm', especially when
    compared to the Beatles contemporaries.

My favorite Paul McCartney album is the self titled 'McCartney' as I just love the easy going feel/vibe of it. Does it compare
    song for song with the best best Beatles albums (or even other 'McCartney albums)? ..No..... But do I prefer to listen to it
    when I am relaxing in the garden on a sunny summers evening? Yes.

cmcintyre and Hermes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.