Which speakers would do well with these electronics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by canstoog, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canstoog

canstoog Well-Known Member Thread Starter

•Mofi Studio deck with Hana SL cartridge
    •Rogue Audio 100 Tube Amp
    •Rogue Audio RH5 headphone/preamp
    •Musical Surroundings Nova iii

Some on my radar, not sure how well they would work with the electronics though.

-JBL 4429
    -Unison Research Max1
    -DeVore Fidelty 093
    -Verity Audio Finn
    -Vandersteen Treo

Monty12 likes this.
  2. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Personally I’d go with the JBL’s :pineapple:

Monty12 and Eigenvector like this.
  3. canstoog

They are solid speakers but $6700 here in Canada, perhaps used I could find them much cheaper. Have you used that Rogue Amp?

displayname likes this.
  4. Fruff76

No, but I’ve used rogue products in the past and they’re very good. I’d look for a sale or something on the JBL. I’m a new convert - just got the L100 this year and it’s so much different than all of the other speakers I’ve wasted my time with. It’s hard to stop listening to them. I sit for at least 2-3 hours each time.

timind and bluesaddict like this.
  5. canstoog

That’s good you like those speakers, they look nice !

Fruff76 likes this.
  6. thetakeout

thetakeout Forum Resident

Fruff76. What speakers have you gone through before the JBL L100’s? What is it about the L100’s you like so much? Also, what amplification do you have pitching the L100’s?

7. Fruff76

Hi, below is my review from Music Direct. I’ve had - Magnapan, Audio Physic, Gallo, ProAc, Acoustic Energy, Totem, Usher, Golden Ear, Elac, Thiel, Polk, Paradigm and other forgettables. None of them even come close the L100’s. They’re extremely dynamic and I get 0 listening fatigue. They’re able to extract every detail, while still providing a sock it in the gut punch. These are the first speakers I’ve ever owned where you don’t have to explain to people why they’re so good, or why they cost so much. Jaws drop and people shake their head. My dad, who never ever compliments me on my stuff, asked if he could buy them from me. I use a 30 year old Adcom power amp that I bought for $450. I’d put the combo up against anything that’s out there without sweating it.

“Just received these yesterday and I have to say, they are awesome! It took about an hour get used to them, since I've been using the standard smallish woofer towers, 2 way bookshelf, or planars for the past 30 years. First of all, they look incredible. The sound from them us just huge, throwing a giant soundstage. My wife and I couldn't stop liste

ning to them last night. Album after album, some stuff we haven't listened to in ages, or hardly ever for that matter. It all sounded stunning and gave new life to old music that just got stale. It's like a full on concert in my basement, without people in front of me recording on cell phones. For the first time ever, these speakers had my wife and I up out of our chairs dancing, then back in to marvel at how lifelike and realistic they sound. Even at low levels, they present the music with such detail and texture, it's hard to pull out and stop listening. We just wanted to play every album in our collection last night. Honestly, $4,000 is a steal when I consider how much I've paid In the past for small bookshelf speakers that could barely fill a room with music. I would highly recommend these gems.”

8. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Have you been able to hear any of these speakers in person? At 100wpc you have plenty of power for any of them.

If you have dealers or friends with any of this gear in driving distance, it'd be worth loading up your preamp and amp to demo with the speakers.

9. Fruff76

It’s a pretty old thread, I wonder if he made a decision?

displayname likes this.
  10. thetakeout

Fruff76, thanks for the response. sounds like they are killer speakers.

11. Fruff76

No problem, they definitely are!

12. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

More importantly what kind of sound are you going for?

13. thetakeout

Fruff, have you heard the JBL 4429? Did you consider those when you got the L-100 Classic? Any thoughts there?

14. Fruff76

I haven’t and at the time, the L100’s design really stuck me. I had been interested in JBL’s, but I never really cared for the look. Once the 100C came out, I decided to pull the trigger. Given my experience with the 100’s, I can imagine the 4429’a are probably amazing speakers.

15. direstraitsfan98

direstraitsfan98 Well-Known Member

another vote for the JBL's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.